14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:20 AM by sylvia_intel

DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install

Bill.A

I've had my DN2820FYKH for a couple of weeks and I have yet to get Win7 installed fully.

Everything seems OK at 1st - the PC boots from the USB flash drive with the W7 Iso on it (created from a genuine Win7  DVD)  detects the hard drive and formats it/creates partitions then the install proceeds as expected. PC reboots at the end of the Win7 install. Upon restarting, Win7 says "No boot device found". Tried reinstalling Win7 and now setup states that it can't install the OS on the HD that it installed Win7 on just 5 mins ago! After rebooting and doing the F9/change all bios settings to the recommended values (something I made sure to do before even booting off the flash drive) the Win install gives me the "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing" error message. After that it just won't let me procede further.

I tried doing a repair from the Win options and it tells me it can't repair the problem and I should enable my boot device in the bios or update my bios. I've been on ver. 0025 since day 1.

At this point I'm thinking the hd(s) I've been trying aren't compatible in some way. So I purchase a Western Digital drive that is on the NUC2820FYKH compatibility list. I also purchased an Adata flash drive from the same list.

Everything (again)  seems to be proceeding normally with the install until the reboot after Win7 is done. Then the DN2820 says "No boot device found". So even with a new drive from compatibility list, the PC still won't boot into Windows.

I even went as as to format/partition/set partition as active the HD via a DOS prompt before the Win7 install and I still get the same result.

I have tried booting from both Fat32 & NTFS formatted flash drives as well as a USB DVD drive with the genuine Win7 SP1 DVD - all with the same result.

All he's I've tried show up in the bios and I changed the boot order after Win7 install so that the hd's boot 1st.

All have been tested in other systems and appear to be working normally.

Any/all ideas or suggestions would be VERY much appreciated.

• 1. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
          Bill.A

Just ran both quick & extended Data Lifeguard tools on the (new) WD 500GB drive from the compatibility list - no drive errors found:

WDextendedResults001.jpg

Boot Menu after Win7 install:

BootMenu001.jpg

Bios settings:

Bios003.jpg

BiosBootOrder004.jpg

BiosUSBlegacy001.jpg

Any ideas?

• 2. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
            jan_andersen

Strange problem you have! I have installed Windows more than 100 times  at different machines (two times on a NUC) and never had problems. I am not sure I can help you. I can only tell what I would do.

First of all I would make sure to use compatible RAM.

Before installing W7 I would choose The Default settings in BIOS though I would choose Legacy Boot.

Then I would install W7 from a genuine W7 install. DVD (without scratches and dirt). I have no experience with installing from an USB flash drive. Choose format after all the problems. Don't remove the DVD from the external drive before you can use windows (it will be after rebooting and don't press a key as prompted right after rebooting - if you do that it will start all over again).

If this still doesn't work I would buy a mSATA SSD from Intel and install Windows on that before putting the HDD in the bay.

• 3. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
              Bill.A

I appreciate the response and suggestions. I too have installed Windows MANY times - at least 75+- as I've been building my own PC's since the mid/late '90s. While I certainly don't consider myself an "expert", I'm not exactly a beginner either.

I've wiped/formatted/partitioned/made active the current WD HD several times via the Win7 repair dos prompt with the same result - Win7 won't boot from the HD. It installs Win7 fine and then simply won't boot from the HD. I've used a genuine Win7 SP1 DVD for both making the ISO and directly for the install - I have another genuine Win7 SP1 DVD that I'm going to try today.

I also purchased a stick of ram from the compatibility list that I'm going to try as we'll.

I'm not going to rest until I have Win7 installed and working correctly on my DN2820FYKH. 

• 4. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                jan_andersen

Happy you didn't get offended. I know how you feel and how desperate we can become when we can't make things work.

I would also try not to partition the HDD (you can do it later) then there is no need for making the drive active - the W7 install. DVD should do it automatically.

• 5. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                  jan_andersen

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in another thread with the same topic.

In fact I would have returned the DN2820FYKH or would have been waiting until Intel had solved the problems with W7. It is too messy at the moment.

• 6. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                    Bill.A

Thanks for the support. What makes me more than a little irked is that I have been able to install Openelece on ALL of my hardware since the day I received my DN2820FYKH. I know comparing Windows 7 (Microsoft) to Openelec (Independent Linux developers) isn't really fair, how can Microsoft/Intel not have all this figured out and working by now?

• 7. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                      Bill.A

Update: Attempted to install Win7 from a 2nd/genuine Win7 SP DVD - same result - DN2820FYKH still won't boot from the HD.

Installed a stick of ram from the compatibility list - same result - the PC won't boot from the HD.

Tried installing Win 7 from two brand-new USB 2.0 drives - same result.

Last shot - I'm going to try installing Win Vista. Not hopeful at all...

• 8. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                        sylvia_intel

Bill.A,   I was reading at this thread and according to our website, this specific NUC has full support for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (64 bit only).  It looks like Windows 7 is only supported partially.  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034034.htm

I would recommend you to install one of the operating system supported by this product and let me know your findings.

• 9. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                          milieber

Win 7 64 bit is working for me.  One difference I noticed in BIOS settings is that I now have UEFI boot checked (and it looks like you have it unchecked).  I do also have Legacy boot checked.  I installed W7 using the previous BIOS, but now have the latest installed.  I am not sure what sequence of settings I used to get it installed.  It was a lot of trial and error.  I am using an SSD: Transcend 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive TS128GSSD340.

• 10. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                            JasonHoffman

I was able to install Windows 7 64-bit this weekend on my DN2820fyk with no issues.  I used a USB 2.0 install stick, updated to the latest bios first, and selected Windows 7 as my OS in the bios.  I installed the latest drivers for everything. It seems to be completely stable and everything appears to be working, but I don't appear to have USB 3.0 support in Windows  (the USB 3 controller is listed as an unknown device) and I have a PCI Communication Controller listed under unknown devices.

Performance is excellent and the new video driver works great.

Jason

• 11. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                              Bill.A

Thank you all for the replies. VERY frustrating trying to get Win7 installed on my NUC - it's even more frustrating that I seem to be one of the few owners having problems.

I did manage to get a Win7 disk (the same SSD I started with two weeks ago) to boot into the OS yesterday. Unfortunately, the system was still hosed somehow.

Any action I performed - double clicking on a folder to open it, right clicking on the desktop to change display settings, etc - would takes minutes to complete. I thought maybe I needed to do the 146 updates available right now for Win7 SP1 64 bit but that didn't correct the problem(s). Another 7 hours wasted.

I also tried a different mouse and keyboard, thinking maybe my Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard were to blame - no change.

Tried disabling all unnecessary items - wireless/Bluetooth card, onboard lan, etc - no change.

I even tried booting up in safe mode to see if there was a driver or other software problem - no change.

Finally gave up today and initiated an RMA for my NUC.

Hopefully the replacement will function correctly.

• 12. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                                Bill.A

UPDATE: I received my replacement DN2820FYKH today. I installed Win 7 using the same components that I used previously,  and Win 7 64 bit installed without any issues. I'm installing the recent Win 7 drivers now - hopefully that goes just as well.

Seems pretty obvious that my 1st NUC was defective in some way.

Big thanks to Intel for the quick turn around with my RMA/exchange.

• 13. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                                  TroyMorgan

Nice!

Glad we figured out the issue....It was HARDWARE!

.. every now and then hardware does fail or is non-conforming straight out of the box.

On to the next!

• 14. Re: DN2820FYKH error "No bootable device found" after Win7 install
                                    sylvia_intel

TroyMorgan, if you want to replace your NUC, please contact our Warranty department so they can help you replacing the unit.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Regards,