Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel 5100 wifi card showing up as a 3945 BG card

DJohn26
Beginner

Hello,

I've updated my Sony Vaio VGN-TXN15p. After a fresh install of Win 7 pro and a new Intel 5100 Wifi card. The system only recognizes the new card as a Intel/Pro 3945 B/G card. I'm not able to find anything in the advance settings to get a "N" signal. I have uninstalled and looked for new hardware but it only recognizes the old wireless chip I had.

I've opened up my Router (R4500) to WWN and QOS as per the other forums state I should do, as well the newest firmware is up to date on the router.

What am I doing wrong here? Did I get a counterfeit 5100 wireless card?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for your issue.

Updating the BIOS before installing the new adapter may help. The latest version of Intel® Proset Software version for this adapter is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23045 16.1.1.

0 Kudos
DJohn26
Beginner

Hello Joe,

Thank you for the posting. I've tried updating the drivers however they won't post any higher than the 13.4.0.139. As well, I'm trying to update my bios but that's not looking good either due to the age of the computer.

I've reordered another chip just in case someone decided to put on the wrong sticker. I cant imagine why a 5100 wifi card would show up in the hardware as a 3945Bg card..

Cheers,

Darren

0 Kudos