Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel G41 Graphics Driver Setup Fails to Install

CSova
Beginner

I work for a school board and 30% of our computers are OEM computers with various Intel branded motherboards and the other 70% are Dell computers. We have a Windows 7 64-Bit image we image all computers with. The OEM computers have the following type of Intel board – DG41KR, DG41TX, DG41TY, DG33BU.

After we rolled out or image at the beginning of the school year we were being informed that our OEM computers were randomly rebooting and after investigating we noticed the video driver was using a Win7 embedded driver so we downloaded all the latest graphics drivers for each of the Intel motherboards and created a job to do a silent install to update the video driver. Unfortunately we were still getting reports that approx. 40% of the OEM computers were still experiencing this reboot problem. When we looked to see if the video driver was up-to-date we found they were still using the Win7 embedded driver. We tried logging onto some of these computers as the local administrator and ran the Intel graphics setup file again and during the install we get the following error message "An error occurred while registering one or more components. Setup will exit."

I have tried to use the log files to see if I can identify what the error is to troubleshoot but the log files located in C:\Intel\Logs\IntelGFX.log don't really provide much help. I have taken the logs from both a computer that the install was successful and one that failed and compared the two and here is where they differ.

Successful computer

[INF]

Installing C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\Graphics\kit49684.inf

INF = C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\Graphics\kit49684.inf

Execute command: C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\x64\Drv64.exe -driverinf "C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\Graphics\kit49684.inf" -flags 20 -keypath "Software\Intel\Difx64"

Installed Package = C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\Graphics\kit49684.inf

Package Requires Reboot = yes

Checking for previously installed driver package

Previous INF = C:\Windows\inf\igdlh.inf

Uninstalling previous driver package, if any

Execute command: C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\x64\Drv64.exe -driverinf "C:\Windows\inf\igdlh.inf" -flags 0 -keypath "Software\Intel\Difx64" -uninstall

* Error occured while uninstalling driver package (0xE000023C)

[INF]

Installing C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\HDMI\IntcHdmi.inf

INF = C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\HDMI\IntcHdmi.inf

Execute command: C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\x64\Drv64.exe -driverinf "C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\HDMI\IntcHdmi.inf" -flags 20 -keypath "Software\Intel\Difx64"

Installed Package = C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\HDMI\IntcHdmi.inf

Package Requires Reboot = no

Checking for previously installed driver package

Previous INF = C:\Windows\inf\hdaudio.inf

Uninstalling previous driver package, if any

Execute command: C:\Drivers\Win7Vista_64_151719\x64\Drv64.exe -driverinf "C:\Windows\inf\hdaudio.inf" -flags 0 -keypath "Software\Intel\Difx64" -uninstall

* Error occured while uninstalling driver package (0xE000023C)

[Process]

Marking GfxUI.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[Process]

Marking igfxtray.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[Process]

Marking igfxsrvc.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[Process]

Marking hkcmd.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[Process]

Marking igfxpers.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[Process]

Marking igfxext.exe to terminate when uninstalled

[File]

Marking C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe for delete during uninstallation

[Registry]

Marking registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display for deletion during uninstallation

[Registry]

Marking registry value HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ialm\Device0 for deletion during uninstallation

[Regis...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ChrisSovari,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

Checking the information you have provided, I would like you to try some other steps:

1. Update the BIOS in your computer. You can get it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

2. Please clear the CMOS by removing all the components from the board (power supply, Memory, HDD, Optical Drives) and remove the battery for about 20-30 minutes. After that reconnect all components and access the BIOS to load the default settings.

3. Install the latest driver that can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22167 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22167

4. In the works case, a clean installation of the Operating System may be needed.

0 Kudos
CSova
Beginner

Hello Kevin,

1. I have confirmed both the working computer and the one that fails both have the same and current bios.

2. I have tried clearing the CMOS and resetting it the the defaults and setup.exe still fails.

3. I would love to install the latest driver but this is what is failing to install. I am able to un-pack the .zip file version and using the device manager to manually update the driver but I need to do this to approx 400 computers so I really need the setup.exe to work.

4. As I mentioned in my original post this is a school board with a pre-built image that we image all our computers with so doing a clean install is not an option.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I understand your situation. Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried in one computer a clean image? Maybe the image you have is not working properly and is causing the problem?

0 Kudos
CSova
Beginner

Hello Kevin,

I have re-imaged one of the computers that was failing to complete the Intel video driver install and the install now works so the problem is not hardware. This is happening on many computers at different locations so i am suspecting some Windows update or something similar has been installed to cause this.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

You cannot install GMA over an exisiting IEGD (embedded) graphics driver (or visa versa). Uninstall the IEGD using its SETUP.EXE, or you can go into the Device MAnager and kill it there (but that is less complete). Once you are booting in VGA COmpatibility Mode, THEN you should be able to install the GMA driver.

However, it is highly unlikely that the IEGD is causing your isues and there actually may be custom features in it for your particular board, so there is some risk of trying to replace it. Random reboots are USUALLY power issues (i.e. flaky power supply or other power issues like brown outs or inductive loads from motors) that cause typical random reboots.

Hope this helps.

CSova
Beginner

Hello Kevin,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I said Win7 embedded driver I am referring to the driver that Windows 7 has found and used from the Win7 install.

"Intel G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)"

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

I do embedded graphics and it sounded like THAT issue might be at play. The other one is a puzzler.

Are you familiar with the F8 key option just before boot? It brings up the Windows Boot options and one of them is to start in "VGA Mode" (or something similar - it is different from version to version) or alternatively to start in "Safe Mode" although you may be restricted on what can be done in Safe mode. In VGA mode, the graphics driver is disabled and may allow you to update on the stubborn systems. At least it is something to try before having to refresh the build on all the systems.

Hope it helps,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

As Kirk says, you can try F8 (safe mode options) to load windows with the most important drivers for the Operating System to come up. Another step but more difficult is to remember when the issue started and check the updates installed by that day or do a system restore.

0 Kudos
CSova
Beginner

Hello Kevin,

Both the computers that i was using to compare were using the same Intel G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1 driver before I tried running the setup.exe. After I ran the setup.exe on both and one fails and one works I then ran Windows updates and i wrote all updates that were different between the two and updated the ones that were not installed on the not working computer.

I really don't want to spend any more time digging into what is different between these two computers, my goal when I came to this community was to see if someone could either identify from the log files I submitted what is causing the failure so I can investigate it or how to enable more extensive logging in hopes to find the cause.

This is a Intel branded motherboard and both computers have exactly the same hardware so i don't know why the Intel installer logs don't provide more info as to what is happening during the install that is failing.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

You mentioned that when doing the fresh installation it was working fine so we can discard a hardware problem but also you were able to install the driver in the fresh installation so we can discard as well a graphics driver issue.

Based on the information you have provided it seems that those computers got something that is affecting and causing these problems.

0 Kudos