4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 2:01 PM by AlexT_Intel

"motion" package is now available

AlexT_Intel

Hello everyone,

After some tinkering and porting I've made the "motion" compile for Galileo and put it into the package repository.

This is the initial release, I'm going to work on it further to polish and implement additional features.

It even works! :-) It detects motion, writes JPEGs and does the web streaming. I've tested it on my Galileo and it works fine with the 3-5 FPS as the "capture" limit and 1-3 FPS as the webserver outgoing limit. The CPU is around 92%-99% when it starts detecting motion and writing the JPEGs, but it's rather stable. I've tried 15 FPS as the capture limit (my webcam's default framerate) and something like 10-15 (can't recall) FPS as the webserver limit, but it starts lagging at those values. I haven't done any scientific research whether it just lags or drops the data, but guess it's just a lag.

Right now there's one thing yet to be implemented - creating videos. Due to the way motion depends and includes ffmpeg, it will take some additional time to explore that and insert the right things into correct places to make it work. And I don't know what performance we could get out of it, having in mind that I had to disable all assembler optimizations in libav (ffmpeg equivalent in Galileo's Linux) to make it compile for Galileo. We'll see.

Oh, and the MySQL/Postgres interfaces not compiled in too. I just don't see that as a viable feature - but let me know if you're interested - I'll check if there's a libmysql in there at all to try to compile that in.

For those who're interested in building it themselves, I've implemented this as a recipe in my Yocto layer available at https://github.com/alext-mkrs/meta-alext-galileo - feel free to use it.