Hello,

I'm using these components:

Intel i3 4330 processor

DH87RL motherboard (latest 0324 BIOS)

2x 4GB DDR3-1600 Crucial memory

120 GB mSATA Crucial M500 SSD

EVGA GTX 750 Ti

I discovered 2 anoying bugs within the BIOS of the DH87RL motherboard:

1. Although the 0322 BIOS update fixed the issue, that you could enable Turbo Boost option in combination with a i3 processor, there is still one option left, which should be hidden or grayed out, when a non Turbo Boost processor is installed. In the "Home / Intel Technologies" tab, you still have the option to enable Turbo Boost (first picture). When activated, you get a slider in the "Performance / Processor Cores / Config" tab to adjust "Processor Current Limit" (second picture). Since the i3 has no Turbo Boost, this option is useless.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2. I know that the DH87RL has problems in combination with low profile and/or XMP memory modules. I used a kit of 2 4GB Crucial DDR3-1600 low profile / low voltage / XMP modules. The DH87RL ignored the 1.35 volts of the low voltage memory. So I'm testing right now a kit of 2 4GB standard DDR3-1600 modules (non XMP, non low profile, non low voltage). But the DH87RL is still ignoring an manual change of the memory voltage. As you can see, I set the voltage to 1.35 volt, but the actual voltage remains at 1.46 volt. Why does the motherboard ignore any adjustment of the memory voltage?

4.jpg

3.jpg

I hope these 2 bugs can be fixed with a future BIOS update.

Regards

Torben

• 1. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
          joe_intel

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please allow me more time to replicate these issues.

• 2. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
            Matthieu

hello,

I have a similar problem with a DZ77BH-55K and the memory voltage but for me the voltage is under my setting. I put 1.65 and the mainboard displays 1.52 or 1.59, in the OS with different monitoring softwares, the voltage is at : 1.632 or 1.648, i saw that when i boot for the first time, i have 1.632 and when i reboot i've 1.648. it depends, but the system is stable with prime95 and memtest with 1.632 or 1.648.

The timing memory is on manuel mode at 10-12-11-24 @1200MHz 2x4GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM.

Perhaps that the voltage of sensors bug.

• 3. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
              Sleipnir

It's definitely not a sensor bug. I can set the memory voltage to 1.20 volts, and the system is still booting (voltage displayed in BIOS an under Windows stays at 1.46-1.48 volts). Since I'm using standard 1.5 volt DDR3-SDRAM (which won't boot with 1.2 volts), this can only mean, that the DH87RL is ignoring any setting concerning the memory voltage.

• 4. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
                joe_intel

I was able to get the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology box checked with an Intel® Core i3 processor. However, after saving the changes and restarting the option remains disabled. So, even though we can probably agree it looks like a bug, it is merely cosmetic because the option does not remain enabled (or saved) since the processor does not support it.

The memory voltage indeed remains close to the 1.5v value because the memory controller in the processor supports this voltage with a tolerance of plus/minus five percent. Other low power processors support 1.35 volts such as U/Y lines of products.

Desktop 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Datasheet, Vol. 1

• 5. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
                  Sleipnir

may I quote the official Intel website:

Intel® Desktop Board DH87RL

"Delivering the same performance as Intel® Desktop Board DH87MC, Intel® Desktop Board DH87RL provides open socket flexibility to increase processing performance to meet your need.

Intel Desktop Board DH87RL supports 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Celeron® processors in a land grid array (LGA) 1150 socket. The board features PCI Express* Mini Card connector, PCI Express 3.0, and dual-channel DDR3 1600 with four DIMMs (32 GB max), with 1.2 V to 1.8 V memory voltage control for maximum DIMM compatibility, which supports the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)."

another Intel document:

Intel´┐Ż Desktop Board DH87RL — System memory

"System memory features

The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

1.5 V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs with gold plated contacts, with the option to raise the voltage to support higher performance DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs.

1.35 V Low Voltage DDR3 DIMMs (JEDEC specification).

Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support.

Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.

32 GB maximum total system memory (with 4 GB memory technology).

Minimum recommended total system memory: 1 GB.

Non-ECC DIMMs.

Serial Presence Detect (SPD).

DDR3 1333 MHz to DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM DIMMs.

XMP version 1.3 performance profile support for memory speeds up to 1600 MHz."

If you say, that only U/Y processors (which are BGA processors) are capable of using low voltage memory, these official technical documents are wrong.

• 6. Re: DH87RL bugs: memory voltage / Turbo Boost options
                    joe_intel

Well, the motherboard supports those upper/lower voltages but the limitation comes from the memory controller in the compatible processors.