1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2014 5:17 AM by SimonPlanes

Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo

SimonPlanes

Hi everybody,

I’ve followed the tutorial in order to build a Linux Standard Base Image (http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-buildinglinuximage ), generated the files I need, I renamed it, and put it in my SD card. But when I put my SD card inside the Galileo board, plug the energy and connect it to my PC via the USB cable, it doesn’t boot at all.

Indeed, the board is not recognized by the arduino galileo IDE, even after several minutes, whereas when I use the tiny OS provided by intel, It works well. Is there anybody who had the same problem, and resovled it? Can someone share the files of the LSB he generates, it will be very helpfull and will make me gain a lot of time.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
          Rod_H

Without connecting serial cable to the audio jack and see the boot/console messages it will be hard to figure out what is going on. This web site list build images Intel-NTU Connected Context Computing Center

• 2. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
            rmm200

When you say tiny linux works OK - do you mean the one in firmware and no SD card?

Don't worry about an LSB image until you have the provided SD card image referenced in the getting started guide working.

No USB cable is needed to tell if your board is booting. One LED comes on with power; a second green led comes on about 5 seconds later at USB1 if booting is successful.

You don't indicate the size and type of SD card you are using or how you formatted it.

You don't show a directory listing of the current SD card contents, so no way to tell if you named the files correctly.

And, of course, you really need a serial cable for debugging.

• 3. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
              SimonPlanes

Rod_ h, the goal of connecting the serial cable to the audio jack is to debug? How I can do it?

Thanks for the link, but did you already try it? I have, and it doesn’t work.

When you say tiny linux works OK - do you mean the one in firmware and no SD card?

The Linux Image for sd for intel galileo that you can find here https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22226. I put the files on my SD card and it works.

The one on the firmware works also.

Don't worry about an LSB image until you have the provided SD card image referenced in the getting started guide working.

No USB cable is needed to tell if your board is booting. One LED comes on with power; a second green led comes on about 5 seconds later at USB1 if booting is successful.

I would like to know if my board is booting on the SD card or on the firmware. Can you see it thanks to the LED? how?

You don't indicate the size and type of SD card you are using or how you formatted it.

Because it already works if I use the OS provided by Intel

(https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22226 →  LINUX IMAGE FOR SD for Intel Galileo), so I think that my SD card is ok. Just for information it’s a SanDisk ultraDisk of 16 GB class 10 formatted in FAT16.

You don't show a directory listing of the current SD card contents, so no way to tell if you named the files correctly.

And, of course, you really need a serial cable for debugging.

When you say a serial cable, you mean a usb/serial? Do you have a picture or something like that to show me?

Thanks both of you for your help.

• 4. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                rmm200

Now that we know you can run the provided SD image OK, that eliminates a lot of possible problems. You know whatever problem you have is limited to what is on your SD card.

On the initial link you show for Sergey's blog, if you go to the top of that page and click the link "Sergeys Blog", it will show you the rest of his topics. Everything on his blog is useful. One of them is building a serial cable. There are also commercial versions available. I for one am stuck until you see more of the boot messages, which a serial cable will show you. It could be something as simple as grub not finding your image name.

• 5. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                  Rod_H

I tested all the images and they all work, and connecting serial cable to the audio jack is not just for debug, I use it all the time to ssh to my board for a login session.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                    SimonPlanes

to Rod_H : You were able to execute some sketchs from the IDE Arduino Galileo to the board ? I don't know if we do the same things but for me :

1- I download one of the file from Intel-NTU Connected Context Computing Center

2- I extract it.

3- Copy the file extract in the SD card.

4- Put the SD card inside the board

5- Turn the board on

6- Connect the micro usb to the board (usb client) and the usb to my computer

7- I launch the IDE Arduino Galileo

And I can't run sketches on the board because my IDE don't detect the board (Tools, Serial port is still empty, even after several minutes). This is why I think those links don't works. If you have an answer to explain me why it doesn't works I will be happy to know it.

to rmm200 : I will try tomorrow.

• 7. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                      rmm200

Another quick note: the Arduino IDE WILL NOT let you send sketches to the LSB Linux. Any Linux build using eglibc is incompatible with the Arduino IDE which is built using ulibc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                        Rod_H

SimonPlanes,

As rmm200 said Linux images will not work with the Arduino IDE expect the tiny build that you can download from Intel. If you want to use the Arduino IDE to upload sketches then forget about building LSB or using a pre-build LSB image as it will not work with Arduino IDE becuase the libraries are different as rmm200 said. If you want to take Galileo to the next level with Linux then build your LSB or use pre-build one but you have to forget about the Arduino IDE, you will use your board as Linux computer and the only reason you will go that direction if you want to use Linux with tools like JDK, node.js, tomcat ... etc or use a mPCIe card that you need to build the kernel with that card driver. Tell us what exactly you want to do and we will try to help.

Rod

• 9. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                          SimonPlanes

My goal is to use Galileo boards to get sensors’ values (temp, humidity, etc.) and to send them to a server via MQTT. For this, I need Java to run openHAB on the board. Finally, I’d like to :

- access the openHAB interface through the Internet to manage some sensors

- send the sensors data to a server with MQTT (with Python scripts)

• 10. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                            SimonPlanes

By the way I have a question: why use an audio jack/serial cable insted of an ethernet/serial cable? Will the ethernet port be used by something else (like the ssh connection)? Because if the ssh connection can be established with the serial cable, I don't understand with I need to use the audio jack.

• 11. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                              rmm200

The serial connection is for different purposes. By no stretch of the imagination can it be called a network connection, but it does give you console access from the very start of the boot process. Through this connection you can interact with grub, the boot loader, and see all the messages related to bringing up the actual network connections. It is also the interface you use to replace the firmware from files on an SD card. I can't imagine debugging a boot problem without one...

• 12. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                                SimonPlanes

I understand that but why use the jack? I believe there are serial/ethernet cables to connect the PC to the Galileo. What I want to know is if there is a difference between these 2 connections:

PC (serial) --------> Galileo (ethernet) and PC(serial) --------> Galileo (audio jack).

• 13. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                                  rmm200

The Ethernet jack on the Galileo is unusable until networking is activated by Linux. It is unusable as a serial connection for that reason. The serial port is RS232. The Ethernet jack is - Ethernet.

• 14. Re: Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image doesn’t boot on Galileo
                                    Rod_H

Big difference, ethernet start when Network service start at RC level 2, so the ethernet will miss a lot of startup messages, the serial will have all the startup messages including the option to get into the EFI.

1 2 Previous Next