6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 5:14 PM by rmm200

Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.

bamacken

Let me preface...I am new to the Linux environment. That said, as the title suggest I am having trouble getting WiFi working on the Galileo. The way the start up guide reads, is that both the n135 and n6205 modules are supported out of the box. I've placed the appropriate files from the little Linux image onto the SD. when I boot the device SD LED light flashes for 1 to 2 seconds, so I am assuming it's booting from the card.  In the terminal I run 'ifconfig -a' I get the following:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 98:4F:EE:00:39:BB

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:322 (322.0 B)

Interrupt:41 Base address:0x8000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I followed Sergey's blog instruction on getting the WiFi up and running but using the n135 abd the n6205 modules. After installing the firmware and modprobe iwlwifi, I see the that iwlwifi module is live. After this I am at a loss. I've tried ifconfig wlan0 up to turn the module on but I get an error message ''SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device'.

==Starting with a fresh SD and the appropriate files I tried the following. I see that the iwlwifi module is live, but still nothing in the list.

root@clanton:~# modprobe iwlwifi

root@clanton:~# lsmod | grep iwlwifi

iwlwifi 77608 1 - Live 0xe0870000

cfg80211 188788 1 iwlwifi, Live 0xe088b000

root@clanton:~# ifconfig

Interrupt:41 Base address:0x8000

I'm sure I'm missing something but Google hasn't clued me into what that might be. Any suggestions and pointers would be much appreciated

• 1. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
          rmm200

Where to start...

The Galileo is not able to boot from the SD card unless you update the firmware through the Arduino IDE. Is that what you did?

You say you put the little Linux image on the SD card - was it named "image-full-clanton.ext3"? That is the one you need. Your SD card directory should match the one in the getting started guide.

About 5 seconds after the power is applied, a green LED should light at usb1, making three LEDs total. Do you see three?

Does your terminal trace look the same with the SD card in and removed? If so, you are not booting from the SD card.

Enter "dmesg" at your terminal. You may see some boot messages that help.

Make sure the driver you are using for WiFi supports your specific board. The driver that Sergey references supports the N6235; no idea if it covers yours. Drivers can be very specific.

• 2. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
            bamacken

Thanks for the quick reply,

The firmware update failed when attempting from the IDE. Manual update resulted in a message that state the firmware is older that the on installed. so I move forward without much thought there. As for the image, your right Little_Linux_Image referred to the firmware. I placed the contents of LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5 onto the SD card. This did contain the "image-full-clanton.ext3" you mentioned. So yes the card does match the getting started guide instructions. The LEDs...There are two when powered on without a sketch uploaded and three once there is a sketch running.

Booting with and without the SD gives the same terminal trace . This explains why when I installed the n135 firmware and got the WiFi up and running it all disappeared after I rebooted the system! (Drivers are very specific , I was using Sergey's blog as a point of reference for my noobtacular voyage)

So I guess the question is do I go ahead and install the firmware that gave me the message and continue from there?

• 3. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
              Clayton Hofrock

I could not figure out what could possibly be wrong, but I bet rmm is right.

Most likely it is the first step that anyone should do when opening up a new Galileo box. It is also a step that is often overlooked. Even I had a similar problem when I played with a new Galileo.

To update the firmware:

1. Install the Arduino IDE software (Galileo Software Downloads).
              2. Then start the Arduino IDE
              3. Plug in the power cable.
              4. Plug in the USB cable
              5. Select the correct COM port.
                1. Tools -> Serial Port
                  1. You might need to find out which COM port it was assigned
                  2. This can be done via the Device Manager (on windows)
                  3. Window Key + R
                  4. devmgmt.msc
                  5. Scroll down to the Ports (COM & LPT
              6. Update the firmware
                1. Help -> Firmware Update

Then wait a few minutes while it works. Restart the Galileo, then your problems should be fixed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
                bamacken

Thanks Clay and rmm200! I should have just moved forward with the firmware update despite the older firmware message. Seems to have taken. the SD light is considerably more active after the update and reboot.

One thing, after the firmware and reboot I opened the terminal, it's not the same a rmm200 suggested. It's not functional, there is nothing there and anything typed just returns a newline. Thoughts?

• 5. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
                  bamacken

Just as a follow-up: I was able to get firmware updated and rebooted the system. Once I got onto the terminal I looked at the /lib/firmware/ folder. I noticed that the drivers for the n135 and the n6205 WiFi module has already been loaded.

root@clanton:/# ls -l /lib/firmware/

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2046 Sep 30  2013 LICENCE.iwlwifi_firmware

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        701228 Sep 30  2013 iwlwifi-135-6.ucode

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        677296 Sep 30  2013 iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode

So simply doing the "ifconfig wlan0 up" command followed by "ifconfig" confirmed that the WiFi module is working (that and dmesg):

root@clanton:/# ifconfig

Interrupt:41 Base address:0x4000

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 60:67:20:04:2C:E4

• 6. Re: Galileo WiFi modules n6205 and n135 not working, please help.
                    rmm200

Congratulations - you are on your way. Now Sergey's instructions on configuring WiFi should get you the rest of the way. Use DHCP and WPA or WPA2 if you can - that comes right up. No encryption is a bit harder...

Your no response at the terminal window was likely due to the reboot button bug in 0.7.5. Expect to have to recycle power to reboot until you move to more recent firmware.