3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 11:43 AM by unplugged_24

DP35DP:  A possible problem...

demianill

Hi All !

Please, forgive my poor English !  I'm brazilian and I have a problem with my computer, it uses a DP35DP motherboard with a Q6600 processor.

I don't know why, but eventually all my hard-disks fail (not simultaneously).  I have 4 SATA hard-disks and I use Windows XP Professional SP3. The error is “Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file X:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

When the problem happen, the "defective" disk disappears from Disk Management and Windows Explorer. Then, I turn off the computer, wait some minutes and turn on. The disks come back !

Two of my disks are new, but the problem happens with them. I don't believe ALL my disks are defective !!!  I'm using the last driver / update from Intel for SATA/RAID published in the beginning of the year.... In February the problem began.

I think it's a problem with the motherboard and his disk controllers...  Somebody had the same problem ? Any suggestion ?

Please, help me !

• 1. Re: DP35DP:  A possible problem...
          unplugged_24

Hi there,

First of all, are you using any RAID or AHCI on the board?

Is it the same hard drive that is failing everytime? Please note that if a hard drive/hardware is new it does not always mean that it should not fail. If it is the same hard drive that is failing, please try to change the hard drive.

Please make sure you back-up your data before doing anything with the hard drives, just in case something wrong goes on and you will then not be possible to get your data back if you have not done any back up.

This kind of error you are getting generally indicates that there could be something wrong with the hard disk. I have had similar problem some time ago, and I had finally find out that it was the hard disk which was faulty. Try to change the hard drive and see how it behaves. Check also for the power supply and see if it is powerful enough to supply power for all the components that are connected to the system.

Hope this will be useful.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

• 2. Re: DP35DP:  A possible problem...
            demianill

Hi unplugged_24  !  Thanks for the answer !

Currently I'm using RAID 1 with two disks, with my main data.
            I adopted this strategy when the problems had started.

Today I have 4 disks:
            - A pair in the RAID system: two disks of 500GB. One of them is failing eventually. When this happens, a long rebuild is necessary.
            - A 320GB disk with less important data. This disk is failing. This disk is new (less than a month), it is a substitution of a previous disk that was failing too.
            - A 80GB disk, only with Windows and Programs. This is the boot disk.  It eventually fail and the system hold and needs a reboot. Fortunately, the problem rare occurs in this disk.

So, I have a backup of my main data, using RAID 1.

As I said, for me is very difficult to believe that all my disks have problems. It's very strange. For me, it is a problem in the motherboard or drivers or disk controller. This is my feeling, maybe I'm wrong.

All failures are the same:  “Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file X:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.”

Thanks for the help !

• 3. Re: DP35DP:  A possible problem...
              unplugged_24

Hi there,

Thanks for replying.

So since the drive failure is intermittent and it is not dependent of the disks as you said, then it could also be a problem with the controller or drivers whcih might be causing this. However there nothing much that can be done apart from re-installing the operating system.

But one thing you should bear in mind is that raid 1 or generally raid is not meant for data back up. Raid improves data access efficiency, performance and provide redundancy such as raid 1. Reducdancy in such case is data availability if one disk fails (depending on raid level). However if for example if a raid 1 with 2 disk, the fault tolerance is 1 disk. Hence if both disk fails, the whole raid fails, and the data is unrecoverable in most case. So you should not considet using raid 1 as back up for you data. You can back up your data onto different hard drives or using some back up programs.

Concerning you issue, after having doing a back up of your data and you are sure tha data is safe, you may need to re-install the operating system using the appropriate drivers during os installation.

But before you install the operating system, you may want to update the bios to the latest, then in bios set configure sata as raid and then proceed in creating the raid in the raid bios, then install the operating system.

If you are using windows xp then you need to load th F6 drivers during the os installation, but if you are using windows vista no raid drivers are required.

Please also note, as far as I know, on desktop board, you cannot have a raid volume and non raid hard disks as well. You have to decide whether you want to use raid or not. You cannot use both (raid and non-raid) at the same time.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers.