3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 5:52 AM by gustafn

Galileo Professor Workshops?

Mike_Anderson

Hoping to find Intel University staff reading these forums.

Firstly wanted to say that I am very excited and happy that Intel has released the Galileo.

Secondly I was wondering if Intel plans to host any Professor Workshops over the summer months to aid in the development of new cirriculum using this board? If not I would strongly recommend due to the amount of work required in developing new materials. Not that professors are lazy and need a hand out, just hand up to get things going in the right direction.

• 1. Re: Galileo Professor Workshops?
          GAGonzalez

Thank you for the recommendation.  We will certainly consider it.

• 2. Re: Galileo Professor Workshops?
            Andrzej.Zarzycki

That's a good idea. Perhaps some of the faculty could join to develop broader resources.

• 3. Re: Galileo Professor Workshops?
              gustafn

I'am using currently the Galileo in an IoT class that i'am teaching in an IS Master program in Vienna. Preparing this course was/is quite some effort due to many reasons. One is certainly that the board is quite a new product, but it took me while to overcome certain unexpected hurdles to obtain a productive environment for our students with the board. Esp. for beginners it is often not easy to determine whether the problem they are facing are due to their mistakes or due to setup/environment/etc. The hurdles included issues like uclibc vs. eglibc, BSP 0.7.5 vs. 1.0.0, IDE bound to uclibc, at least for Mac OS X and Windows. Compiling sketches directly on the Galieo is/was not supported (see e.g. [Tutorial] Templates for compiling sketches on the Galileo (esp. eglibc)) If i could express a short-list with wishes, it would include: (1) an Ardunio IDE with eglibc + 1.0.0 (probably SD card based), (2) faster updates from Intel for incorporating fixes to the Arduino libraries (e.g. LiquidCrystal). (3) a github repository with the full Arduino IDE + libraries for  co-development, (4) a way to run the Galileo on batteries to come closer to the "Make it wearable" slogan.

Having said this, when the hurdles are taken, the Galileo is a nice little machine. We have now a nice eglibc-based environment, which we used for building a weather station with a few sensors, where the sensors are interfaced with a sketch which talks to a web server (NaviServer) providing a user interface with weather-history etc..