Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

How to start Intel XTU on Windows 8.1 start?

DVerv
Beginner

Hi,

I have a system with an i7-4770R (Gigabyte BRIX Pro), running Windows 8.1.

Intel XTU 4.3 is installed as a means to lower VCORE (negative offset -25mV). This has a noticeable impact on temperatures and noise on 100% CPU load (KeyShot rendering).

I'm using this system as a headless network render node. When I run Intel XTU the correct vcore offset is applied. However, after a restart the voltages are reverted back to default. Everytime I have to start Intel XTU manually.

How can I add XTU to Windows 8.1 start-up list?

I want XTU to be started at Windows start and not on user log-on.

Dries

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Dries,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

I have been testing a Intel® DZ87KLT-75K board with an Intel® i7-4770K processor with the Intel® XTU and I have not been able to replicate your problem.

I basically opened the Intel® XTU and change the processor voltage and graphics core, saved it and restarted the unit. Once it is up, all settings changed remained as set before but I am afraid that there is no option to make the application start when windows is loading.

Based on this, I recommend you updating the bios in your system or checking the following link for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/xtu/sb/CS-034675.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/xtu/sb/CS-034675.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Dries,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

I have been testing a Intel® DZ87KLT-75K board with an Intel® i7-4770K processor with the Intel® XTU and I have not been able to replicate your problem.

I basically opened the Intel® XTU and change the processor voltage and graphics core, saved it and restarted the unit. Once it is up, all settings changed remained as set before but I am afraid that there is no option to make the application start when windows is loading.

Based on this, I recommend you updating the bios in your system or checking the following link for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/xtu/sb/CS-034675.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/xtu/sb/CS-034675.htm

0 Kudos
DVerv
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

It seems to have been a temporary glitch.

My Intel XTU CPU undervolt is now registering correctly upon (re)boot.

Thanks!

Dries

0 Kudos
OColl2
Novice

As it happens I have the same device and same desire to reduce the awful fan noise at load.

I read your tip about turning off Turbo Boost and lowering the voltage (thanks) and then independently ran into the same problem in having my XTU settings not restore after a reboot.

It turns out that they actually are restored but there is a delay - maybe up to a minute. I observed the core voltage drop in AIDA64 as it apparently applied my settings. Strangely by launching XTU you can accelerate the process.

I can see why the delay makes you think it's forgotten your changes, it fooled me.

By the way, how did you arrive at the -25mV drop, trial and error?

0 Kudos
DVerv
Beginner

Actually I got it down to -35mV now. Indeed through trial and error.

Disabling Turbo Boost and lowering VCORE has helped A LOT to keep noise down. Performance hit is 'only' 10%. Still top-notch for such a tiny box.

Dries

0 Kudos
OColl2
Novice

I found you can have further control by going into Power Options and changing the minimum and maximum processor percentages.

You can pretty much change the clock speed down to whatever you want and make the fan even quieter, at the expense of processing power of course, but even setting it to 80 or 90% seems to make a difference to the fan noise.

I initially hated the box for the fan noise but now I've discovered how to tweak I actually really like it as I can tune it pretty much to how I want it to be.

0 Kudos
EGolu
Beginner

Hi all,

I have a similar problem.

I am using Intel XTU 4.3, Windows 8.1 and Lenovo W540 laptop.

Settings are easily being applied successfully.

However, after reboot, they are never restored, no matter how small the adjustments are (or how long I wait). The system doesn't crash, and I get no notifications about Watchdog resetting my settings back to default.

It appears the profile is just not being applied, and I have to manually start XTU and apply the settings after each reboot. Very annoying!

Can I somehow apply the profile I want automatically, since settings obviously do not stick as is?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I would recommend using the XTU provided by your computer manufacture since their software may have been modified to work with the components in your system.

The software should keep the changes after restarting if you apply changes before closing the program.

0 Kudos
EGolu
Beginner

Hm, there doesn't seem to be any custom version of XTU on disks that came with the laptop, and I cannot find any on support web-site, either.

Settings definitely apply correctly (I checked using monitoring tools), so XTU works. It appears they are just not being restored (my custom profile is there upon restart, but default profile appears to be loaded).

Isn't there some way to load a certain profile automatically, e.g. using command prompt, so I don't have to start the application to click "Apply" button each time?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OColl2
Novice

Have you tried giving it a minute or two? I found the settings weren't immediately applied on a restart, maybe it depends on the order various Windows services etc are loaded.

0 Kudos
EGolu
Beginner

XTU service is indeed loaded around one minute after the reboot.

Unfortunately, it does not apply the settings.

0 Kudos
OColl2
Novice

Ah ok.

The other thing you could try is the app/profile pairing thing inside XTU.

This would have been my next plan - could you perhaps tie the profile to some process that is already running? See if that works? I'm assuming the way that works is it applies the profile when the app launches and presumably (as I can't see how else it could work) the settings subsequently are available system wide.

0 Kudos
OColl2
Novice

*** "Already running" should have read "Always running"

0 Kudos
EGolu
Beginner

Profiling does indeed work.

However, I find the way it works weird - paired profile seems to be active only as long as window of paired process is in focus - which means that if you switch to another window, your XTU settings are back to default ones...

And I want these settings to be permanent.

0 Kudos
EC3
Beginner
Hi Zalbard, I have troubles in loading XTU profile through command line.

Can you please explain how were you able to get past the profiling issue (reported in comment 8) while loading a profile in XTU?

I'm facing the exact same behavior reported by you earlier. My aim is to load the profile using command line without clicking on the "Apply" button.

>>/message/226376# 226376 8. /message/226376# 226376 Re: How to start Intel XTU on Windows 8.1 start?

>>Settings definitely apply correctly (I checked using monitoring tools), so XTU works. It appears they are just not being restored (my custom profile is there upon restart, but default profile appears to be loaded).

>>Isn't there some way to load a certain profile automatically, e.g. using command prompt, so I don't have to start the application to click "Apply" button each time?

>> zalbard/message/226411# 226411 13. /message/226411# 226411 Re: How to start Intel XTU on Windows 8.1 start?Profiling does indeed work.
0 Kudos
EGolu
Beginner

If you create an app profile for a program, it will be activated every time you start the program.

The issue with loading a custom global profile hasn't been solved.

0 Kudos