10 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 3:57 PM by Seth Hunter

Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"

DanW

Hi,

My Galileo is currently in a state where I can't upload a sketch to it from the Arduino IDE.

The Arduino IDE's console shows that it's stuck on the "Delete existing sketch" command:

$fixed_path/lsz.exe -- escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

No error message, but it sits on that command until I close down the IDE.

If I relaunch the IDE, I then get an error message - I'm guessing that this one's the result of closing the IDE when it was using the COM port.

#$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "cp sketch /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

D:\galileo-arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 40: /dev/ttyS8: No such file or directory

If I reboot my PC and retry, it goes back to the first problem -- hanging on the "Delete existing sketch" command

The Galileo is otherwise functioning normally: the USB COM connection is recognized by Windows, I can SSH into it via Ethernet, and there are no errors in dmesg. Rebooting the Galileo has no effect on the problem.  The sketch.elf file can be deleted or moved manually via SSH.  Manually deleting the sketch.elf file had no effect on the problem, so I'm guessing that the problem is with the Linux process that the Arduino IDE talks to.

I was using the Galileo without problems for a couple of days - the problem began after I booted up the Galileo this morning.  It has the updated firmware.  It's booting off an SD card with the 0.7.5 image,  I've tried 2 different PCs (both were working normally with the Galileo until today), with the same result, so the problem appears to be on the Galileo side.

The only solution I can see at this point is to reimage the SD card, but I'd like to try troubleshooting the problem.  Can anyone point me at what the cause of the problem might be, or other tests to try? 

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
          rmm200

1) Can you upload and run sketches without the SD card inserted?

2) Are you using the SD image Intel provided, or did you build your own from the BSP?

• 2. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
            DanW

Hi again,

Having had the problem occur again, when not using an SD card image (just the 0.7.5 firmware), I stumbled across a fix: I assigned a different COM port # to Galileo, using the Device Manager. Oddly, doing this on one PC fixed the problem for the other PC too -- I can't explain that one.

A few more findings, in case it's of help to anyone...

- One reliable way of causing the hanging problem (using the 0.7.5 firmware and no SD card) is to disconnect the USB cable, then press the Reset button on the Galileo.  The Galileo hangs at that point, and trying to upload a sketch (after plugging in the USB cable again, of course) causes the upload to hang.  The sketch I'm working with uses the SPI pins, so perhaps that plays a role in the problem.

- The "no such file or directory" error when uploading a sketch occurs when the lsz.exe process is hung - killing that process gets rid of that error

- I can now fix the "hanging when uploading" problem (without changing the COM port # or rebooting the PC) by:

1. Exiting the Arduino IDE

2. Killing the lsz.exe process

3. Rebooting the Galileo (which, because of the bug in the 0.7.5 firmware, requires unplugging power cable)

I'm pretty sure that I tried that earlier, and it didn't work -- that's when changing the COM port # worked.

Dan.

• 3. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
              DanW

Hi,

Yes, I was able to upload sketches when not using the SD card.

I was using the plain vanilla 0.7.5 image downloaded from Intel, not my own BSP.

Edit: Come to think of it, it's not plain vanilla: I did an "opkg update / opkg upgrade" from AlexT's repo, which is based on the 0.8 BSP.  I also installed ntp from that repo.  So, the problem is likely self-inflicted. D'oh!

Dan.

• 4. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                rmm200

It is worth getting the 0.8.0 or 0.9.0 firmware just for the reboot fix. Unfortunately, you have to build your own unless some kind soul like Alex posts one you can download.

• 5. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                  ClDoppler

Hi Dan,

I had the same Troubles when uploading my sketch. Funny Thing is, it worked the day before without any Problems and today I had this issue. (There was a Windows update in between, but could not see why this would influence the Arduino sketch download)

I could fix it by killing the process, but reassigning a new COM port helped. The only Thing I want to add is, that I also had to reselect the right COM port in Arduino IDE.

BTW: Are you using SPI on Galileo? I Need to, but SPI does not work on my Galileo - I get no SCK on PIN 13/SPI Header Pin 3

• 6. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                    DanW

Hi,

I still see the sketch upload problem from time-to-time.  It usually occurs after I haven't used the Galileo for a few days, on the first sketch upload. The fix is still the same: kill lsz.exe and bash.exe then reboot the Galileo.   After that, I can upload sketches all day without the problem reoccurring. It's a nuisance, but a minor one.

Yes, I've used SPI on one project, and it did work.  I'm using it with a set of 8x8 LED matrices controlled by MAX7219s.   That project's still running, so it works reliably. 

I didn't have any problems with the clock on pin 13, but I remember running into a problem initially with the SS pin not firing, then making a change based on some sample code posting in a Sparkfun article: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1360.

I manually set the SS pin (pin 10) before and after each SPI write, e.g.:

void SPIWriteString(char * str, uint8_t len)

{

digitalWrite(SS_PIN, LOW);

for (int i=0; i<len; i++)

{

SPI.transfer(str[i]);

}

digitalWrite(SS_PIN, HIGH);

}

I also copied some SPI initialization code from that same article.  I don't think this change made any difference, since these settings are probably the defaults for the SPI library, but I left them in the code:

void initSPI()

{

pinMode(SS_PIN, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(SS_PIN, HIGH);

SPI.begin();

SPI.setBitOrder(MSBFIRST);

SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV64);

SPI.setDataMode(SPI_MODE0);

}

Otherwise, I'm using the standard Arduino SPI code and it seems to be working, including the clock on pin 13.

Hope that helps,

Dan.

• 7. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                      ClDoppler

Hi Dan, thank you very much for that Information. SPI is working now, - at least SS, MOSI, and SCK. Though there is a pretty high delay between SS and Data traffic. Could this be a Problem for a SPI Device?

I still dont get any MISO from my device and as there is no protocol inherent ACK it is hard to tell if a device can  communicate or if there is a Problem with the device itself.

SPI_SSdelay.bmp

• 8. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                        manoelramon

Hi

Let me clarify something to windows users. If you serial port has a number high, like 30, 32, 25, you have two options:

1) Use a different USB COM port to force windows to re-enumerate the serial with a new number

2) Or using the Device Manager, select COM Ports and using the COM serial port of your device, go to "Advance" and force to change the port number manually... use always low numbers..

It is a bug from Windows and not the board at all.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                          manoelramon

another think that must be done.. please, remove all hidden serial ports from your Windows machine.. it is a very annoying bug from Windows that affects the communication and detection at all..

For detailed instructions how "to clean your ports" please check this link: Overview | How to Find Hidden COM Ports | Adafruit Learning System

• 10. Re: Galileo sketches won't upload: hangs at "Delete existing sketch"
                            Seth Hunter

This solution worked to solve my problem. This issue killed a few productive hours so thanks for posting the part about killing lsz.exe (I had 3 processes running).