cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[530 120GB] Abnormal writes growth

JJung11
New Contributor

Hi, I recently(4 days ago) bought the drive. (530 120GB)

On the first day, W7 installation/updates, and SSD optimization(as far as I know) are all done:

-Chrome cache/Windows Temp files redirection (to HDD)

-Superfetch, Indexing, Paging, Hibernation, Defrag OFF

-Downloaded files are being saved on HDD

So basically there are only an OS and few light programs on SSD. (Chrome, KMPlayer, Avast Antivirus, and HW Monitoring tools, Catalyst Control Centre)

And the only tasks I have done for the last 4 days are: Web Surfing, Making 2-3 ghost images, watching movies saved in external HDD which believed not to do heavy writings on SSD,

But according to Crystaldiskinfo, I have been doing approx. 4.5GB writes per hr which seems to be definitely wrong.

Did I get an SSD with flaw? Would like to know if this is normal to other 530 users.

Helps would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

BKosz
New Contributor

Imho the writes are completely okay and 4 days is too short to tell anything for sure. My W7 system typically writes 5-10 GB per day. Take into account writes from W7 and other applications installation process. Also windows updates can generate much more writes that you could expect - for instance I have seen single updates (let's say about 100MB download, I don't remember the exact figures) that were able to write about 2GB during installation.

JJung11
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply Bogdan Customer.

I actually checked the writes before doing Windows Updates so I understood the updates may have bumped up the total usage. (7-800mb update, approx. 20GB writes increased. )

But the real concern is that after all the optimization/configuration/installation, the writes are still increasing at the rate of 4GB/hours when the Resource Monitor in Task Manager shows the average writes of 10-50kb from the other processes including W7 System process. It just does not simply match.

Another fact that confused me was my friend's SSD info. He uses Samsung 840 EVO. He watches live streaming/youtube a lot, and does mild gaming (1-2 hours per day) which would surely write more on the disk than I do. But in fact, his disk info shows that it has been used for 479 hours with about 480GB writes. (which gives approx. 1GB/hours)

From several articles I have read, Recent SSDs can endure writes about 100GB/day for 7 years. and thanks to Intel's 5 years warranty on SSDs, I am not too much worried about my disk's lifespan. But I just want to figure out why numbers are not matching. Unless the writing rate is going to decrease somehow (I am not really sure this really gonna happen. paging is off and there are nothing left to optimize) I think it is better to figure out what's causing this overflow. It just does not feel good to know there is something that I am not noticing.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am sorry for this inconvenience. Are you referring to Host writes or NAND writes?

Hi, joe_intel.

Sorry for making you unclear.

I was referring to the NAND Writes on the screenshot.

As of now, it doubled whereas host write only increased by ~12GB.

Most of writings(including cache created by web browser) are being transferred to HDD,

and only tasks done for the 40 hours of usage are web surfing and watching youtube videos.

Thank you for your interest, and I would really appreciate any further advice.