6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 10:49 AM by Mads

how to get 5.1 on original NUC

x t

Hi,

I've got a Intel® NUC Kit DC3217IYE, the original NUC (Ivy bridge) with dual HMDI. I finally got a 5.1 speaker system, but I can't manage to get 5.1 sound out of the NUC.

I know 5.1 can work fine, as I get it from my Apple TV (my pioneer 1121 receiver shows its getting dolby digital, and all the audio channels available). But playing a file from my NUC, I only seem to get stereo. The file does contain 5.1 info, its a .mkv and VLC indicates the codec used is dts with 5.1 channels. The NUC is running win 8.1.

Would anybody know a way to diagnose the problem? I was looking for the intel audio software / driver, but all I could find was the ones for the graphics. Where are the audio settings?

Any comments/ideas more than welcome.

-x

• 1. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
          sylvia_intel

X, I really sorry for all the inconvenience you had been having with this NUC.

HDMI audio drivers are included with the graphics driver available for your NUC. You will be able to find the latest version at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23340

In addition to that, it is important to use straight connection and the HDMI cable has to be 1.4a.

Please check the following pictures and let me know if you are able to find the speaker configuration shows at Pic#2.

realteck1.JPG

realtek2.JPG

realtek3.JPG

You can get additional troubleshooting on the following thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/47417

• 2. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
            Mads

Why does it have to be HDMI 1.4a?

HDMI 1.3 supports multichannel audio...

• 3. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
              sylvia_intel

It is necessary to meet with the requirements for the port which in this case the cable needs to be 1.4a.

• 4. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
                Mads

But all HDMI standards (and thereby ports) from 2.0 and down, is backward compatible... So it doesn't make any sense to me...

What is it in the NUC that MUST HAVE HDMI 1.4a standard?

Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 has been supported since the introduction of HDMI 1.0, so why does the NUC require HDMI 1.4a standard cables?

Does that mean that the surround receiver must also support the HDMI 1.4a standard? That's ******** if that's the case... You haven't written that anywhere...

Please clarify these questions

• 5. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
                  sylvia_intel

I’m sorry for this matter, but your cable requires 1.4a version.  A 1.4a cable will be backwards compatible with HDMI 1.3, but not the other way around.

Please check page 23 on the TPS of your product.

HDMI 1.4a.JPG

• 6. Re: how to get 5.1 on original NUC
                    Mads

I know that you can't get the functions that require a HDMI 1.4a cable with a HDMI 1.3 cable, but that's not what I'm saying... What I'm saying is that Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 has been supported since the introduction of HDMI 1.0, and therefore doesn't require HDMI 1.4a cables or ports to transfer the bitstream.

I've copy/pasted the functions included in the different HDMI versions from Wikipedia so you can see what I mean:

HDMI version1.01.11.2
                    1.2a
                    1.3a
                    1.3b
                    1.3b1
                    1.3c
                    1.4a
                    1.4b
                    sRGBYesYesYesYesYesYes
                    YCbCr 4:2:2/4:4:4YesYesYesYesYesYes
                    8 channel LPCM, 192 kHz, 24-bit audio capabilityYesYesYesYesYesYes
                    Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD video and audio at full resolution[a]YesYesYesYesYesYes
                    Consumer Electronic Control (CEC)[b]YesYesYesYesYesYes
                    DVD-Audio supportNoYesYesYesYesYes
                    Super Audio CD (DSD) support[c]NoNoYesYesYesYes
                    Deep colorNoNoNoYesYesYes
                    xvYCCNoNoNoYesYesYes
                    Auto lip-syncNoNoNoYesYesYes
                    Dolby TrueHD bitstream capableNoNoNoYesYesYes
                    DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream capableNoNoNoYesYesYes
                    Updated list of CEC commands[d]NoNoNoYesYesYes
                    3D over HDMI[147]NoNoNoNoYesYes
                    Ethernet channelNoNoNoNoYesYes
                    Audio return channel (ARC)NoNoNoNoYesYes
                    4K resolution support at 30 fps[148]NoNoNoNoYesYes
                    4K resolution support at 60 fps[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    Rec. 2020 color space support[161]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    YCbCr 4:2:0 support[163]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    32 channel audio support[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    1536 kHz audio support[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    4 audio streams support[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    2 video streams support (Dual View)[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes
                    21:9 aspect ratio support[162]NoNoNoNoNoYes

So why do you insist that 5.1 audio is a HDMI 1.4a and above exclusive feature, when it's simply not the case?

If the user WANTS to use the features exclusive to HDMI 1.4a, then a HDMI 1.4a cable is of course required, but that's not the case here... "x t" who started this thread asks about simple 5.1 audio, which again is supported from HDMI 1.0 and up, so therefore any HDMI cable should work... Why is that not the case with a Intel NUC?