13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 5:56 AM by sylvia_intel

DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine

Matthieu

Hi,

In a first time, i'm french user and i apologise for my english.

With my motherboard DZ77BH-55K, sometimes, but not always, the boot fail and i have the message : "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)... Press "Y" to enter Setup or "N" to cancel and attempt to boot with previous settings." And if i press "N", after on OS (seven SP1), the system works fine, no problem. I attached my technical configuration with the Intel utilities.

All of my stuff works fine with another motherboard, it's the same materiel what i plugged on this intel motherboard.

So this message in the BIOS is useless, because my setting in the bios works with no issues, but it's a little bit boring... i don't want start my PC with my fingers crossed for a boot with no issues. I tried lot of setting, turn off some plug and play abilities, manual setting for video card, the last setting what i did is disable "general optimisation" in boot option. I don't know if that works for the moment, i don't shut down my system again.

And another detail, this problem happen only after a night when i shut down my system. My power supply is plug and ready to go.

If i try simple reboot, no problem, and totally shut down then reboot after a short time, no problem.

Thanks for help.

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
          Matthieu

After another test, i have always the same problem. But today, a little difference : when i boot, the system shut down and it reboot by himself, remain one long moment in the status 12 and the intel screen appear with the status 90 and nothing more, i can't do anything. I need to push "reset" for restart, and here i have the famous message of my precedent post, so i press the magic touch "n", everything works fine in OS...

This problem begin to make me crazy, i had a lot of motherboard and today i'm a little bit disappointed with this card.

I repeat, all of this occurs after a long time when the system is off, after a short night for example.

I don't understand why i can restart my system with nothing of this problem, with a simple reboot or totally shut down with psu in off. Perhaps, i haven't test (because i need to work and the time passed in the resolve of this problem is useless for myself), this same problem happen when i shut down the psu and waiting the same time : one night.

I don't want resend my motherboard for the moment but if it's continue i go to lose my patience

(sorry for my english)

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
            LizB

We are Intel channel partners and build quite a few systems and have the same issue with a DH87MC mainboard.  Intel suggested all sorts of things, sent us a BIOS update that allowed hard drive pre-delay etc., with no answer found.  We tried swapping to a different brand hard drive, tried swapping to a different SATA port, Intel even sent a replacement mainboard - all to no avail.  The customer loves his computer, but knows that if the power is turned off to the mainboard for more than just a few minutes, when he starts the system fails to start, he then presses 'reset' then he gets the message you reported telling him that the BIOS failed to POST and he has to press 'n' and the system will boot just fine.  We also have a boot issue with the DB75EN mainboards.  If the power is turned off to the mainboard for more than a few minutes, the system just sits there.  We eventually found that if you leave it sitting for about 10 minutes, the system POSTS and starts.  Intel have no answer for that one either.  We have built 4 systems using that board, and all 4 systems have the cold start issue.

No wonder Intel have stopped making desktop mainboards!

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
              Matthieu

Thanks for your reply, i remember i had the same "cold boot bug" with older Asus and DFI motherboard, approximately equivalent problem, but it was fix with bios update. In this situation, i updated with the lastest BIOS of Intel. So the solutions what i see for resolve this problem are a little short. i still have these solutions : need to go trying many many option in bios and test it after many of boot and reboot

• 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                LizB

yes, we tried all sorts of things with both boards, but never resolved the issue.  Intel made us feel as though we were the only people with Cold Boot Bug, but if you search the Intel forums, many people have Cold Boot issues.  Intel say they can't replicate it, although we have 4 DB75EN boards with the problem.  As a business, unfortunately, we really don't have time to spend hours troubleshooting the issue for Intel, so we gave up.

• 5. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                  Matthieu

I'm tired with this problem. You are right : " we really don't have time to spend hours troubleshooting the issue for Intel".

So today, the problem is the same, but i tried more thing. I changed manually some parameter of memory and activate all "fastboot optimisation". One thing, my Vdimm is at 1.65v but the monitoring in bios displays a different valor, like 1.52v or 1.59v, it depends.

And in os, with differents monitoring software, the Vdimm is at : 1.7v ? And this is happen when i changed these last parameters, the vdimm fixing at 1.65 in bios. Before, i had some different values between 1.632 and 1.648 in the monitoring under os and 1.52/1.59 in bios. This value is good or the sensor is useless ?

Unfortunately, i'm not alone with the "cold boot bug". And i don't find intel's answer

I wait of restart my system and see if that clears this bug.

• 6. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                    sylvia_intel

Matthieu, this kind of behavior could be cause by a device such as memory or a network card that is not letting the system to finish posting correctly or it is not being properly detected by the operating system.

You may want to try the following:

• Remove any PCI devices and restart the system. Check if you are getting the error.
                    • In order to find out which device is causing the error, please include one of them and restart the system.

• Go into Bios
                      • Restore all to Default
                      • And click Performance / Summary
                      • Then disable Failsafe Watchdog
                      • Then reboot.

Please let me know the results.

• 7. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                      Matthieu

Thanks for your reply. I have just a minimum of peripherique on my system like mouse, keyboard and two hard disk (Seagate ST2000DL003 and Samsung 830), that's it. I tested my memory with memtest and prime95 with no errors (GSKILL 2x4Gb GBXM).

On the other hand, i checked if i had errors in view log of windows and i found : "error id11 atapi", something like that. So i checked the health of my hard disk with "HDTune" and he said the cables are probably dead. So i changed the SATA cables with new cables.

Also, i will try your recommandations and let you know the results.

But in this problem, i have to wait a long time before restart my computer. It does not occurs on each boot and i saw it happen often time when i wait one night before restart my system.

Thanks all for your help.

• 8. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                        LizB

Matthieu we had the same.  Just keyboard, mouse, hard drive, dvdburner.  We even tried 2 different hard drives - one Western Digital Black Caviar, and then a Seagate because Intel said it might be the WD drive.  All to no avail.  If you turn the power off to the mainboard for a few hours, the system doesn't start correctly.  If you only remove power for a few minutes, the system starts just fine.

Intel support said they couldn't reproduct the problem, but looking at the forums, there are a lot of people with the Cold Boot issue.  As I kept trying to tell Intel support, removing power from the mainboard for half an hour will NOT cause the error.  You have to remove power for several hours, usually overnight.

Here os somebody else just this week with the same problem.

Re: DH87MC

• 9. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                          Matthieu

Sorry for the time before i come back, i wanted to see if my issue was always here.

So for the moment the only things i tested is change the SATA cable for my two hard disk and disable the Failsafe Watchdog. In windows, i don't have anymore error ID11 atapi, also with hd tune i don't have more "Interface error".

And the essentiel, for the moment, my system boot correctly. So perhaps when i changed my motherboard, i damaged my SATA cables.

I'm not sure at hundred pourcent if my problem disappeared and i would come back for let you know if it's good.

I give you my full system's specification :

-Sapphire Dual-x boost 7950 (bios : 015.040.000.001.000000)

-i5 3570k

-2x4GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

-Seagate ST2000DL003 ; SSD Samsung 830 128GB

-FSP AURUM 600 80PLUS Gold

It's harm to don't have possibility of share the full bios configuration with a file, especially for overclocking's profil (perhaps if Intel had not suspended the desktop motherboard product it would not have been a bad idea)

One more thing, i tried with power off to the mainboard five hours and it boot without problem. Perhaps it's not enough time to see the same problem of Liz. Up to now, i had only the problem when the mainboard was off but on power

On my next night, i try to removing power to the mainboard and i will back for let you know the result.

Thanks all again for your help

• 10. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                            Matthieu

So, i'm be back.

After one night with power off to the mainboard, boot without problems. I think it's on the right way.

I prefer wait the week-end for say my problem is resolved at hundred pourcent. i hope it will stay like that.

I don't really know if my problem was the SATA cables, but it seems it has resolved my issue.

Like i said, the last two thing i changed, it's the "failsafe watchdog" in bios and the SATA cables (also i put 5sec in hard disk pre-delay, but i had this last option alone and the problem still appeared).

I waiting more with my fingers crossed and i will come back for let you know the result.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                              Matthieu

hy, the report of the day :

After one night where my pc is off and the psu is on power. the system boots without problems.

I try again to test, on this night, with the mainboard to the power off. And i'll be back tomorow for let you know the result.

I think it was my sata cables, but like the problem seems pop randomly, i prefer wait again and give you my results, same if that's useless.

I hope don't face this problem again. For the others with similar problems, check my differents handling if that can help you.

Later, i test with "failsafe watchdog" activated, but i guess it was not my problem. When i have time, i'll put my older cables and test again

• 12. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                                Matthieu

Hy,

it's seems good in all situation. After one night again with power off to the mainboard, boot without problem.

This is my workstation, i don't have more time for the moment for another test because i need to work and i lost lot of time. But i want to test with my older cables, for make sure that was this problem.

I be back soon as possible with the result

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: DZ77BH-55K boot failed but everything works fine
                                  sylvia_intel

Matthieu, thanks for keeping us informed.