1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 9:06 AM by Aryan2411

Which present chipset Intel mobo's support Windows XP with AHCI?

roblong

In a short way - I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any reliable solution for DG35EC to use AHCI (and to receive all benefits of WD1500HLFS)
      2. Which $100 range most recent technology s775 Intel mobo supports AHCI w Windows XP Pro 32?

The long story is -
      Since December 2005 my mobo has been Intel "Black Canyon 2" XEB2.
      System has been running normally, except Windows XP which needs a reinstallation and hard disk to be updated to new larger one.... so I decided it's time to change. My needs are varying - mostly MS Excel, then Photoshop, sometimes some multimedia tasks and 2 displays. From my main PC I don't except any advanced home theatre functions. I'm a PC professional with a lot of knowledges, which sometimes just appear not to be not enough up to date. Installing
      So since my opertaing system is Windows XP Pro (32), things with Intel have gone wrong and I'd like to get some support.

I got the new mobo Intel DG35EC, CPU E8400, 2x2GB DDR and a beast Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000rpm 16MB SATA 3Gb/s as a main disk. I inserted XP installation CD, switched PC on and pressed F2 for setup. It took only 1 minute to understand that I had got the wrong mobo, as this Intel mobo doesn't support AHCI under Windows XP! Googling didn't bring any relief, there didn't seem to be any stable way around!

There doesn't seem to be any official way to pick the new properly Windows XP 32 supported mobo.

Could you please provide some upper described mobo type suggestion of a $100 range based on later technology?
      (I have a spare DQ35JOE but I believe it's soon outdated and I don't like it's sometimes loosing keyboard and mouse at boot)

What do I know I need:

s775

AHCI support
      a lot of USB connector (2 front and 4-6 back)
      2x DVI outputs
      mATX size preferrably
      FDD connector preferrably
      a Firefire possibly ...

Also yet I have preferred a PS2 mouse and keyboard as more stable and saves USB connections.

Everything else I think, is standard and not anything special to mention about.

It wasn't easy to express all my preferences, but I hope the thread is still readable.

Neither I don't think that I'm going to switch to Windows 7 during 1-2 years.

(Vista I don't consider properly usable for my needs)

Thanks for your suggestions

• 1. Re: Which present chipset Intel mobo's support Windows XP with AHCI?
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Here are some info for you:

Some Intel Boards with RAID/AHCI Support and LGA 775 and USB Ports (min 4/2 - max 8/6):
          ====================================================================
          DQ35JO
          DQ35MP
          DQ45CB
          DQ965GF
          DQ965CO
          DQ45EK
          DQ965WC
          D975XBX
          D975XBX2
          DP45SG
          DX38BT
          DX48BT2
          DG965WH
          DP35DP
          DG33TL
          DG45ID
          DG45FC

Some Intel Boards with RAID/AHCI Support and LGA 775 and PS2 Ports and Floppy Connector:
          ======================================================================
          DQ965GF
          D975XBX
          D975XBX2
          DG965WH
          DG965OT
          DG965MQ

Some Intel Boards with RAID/AHCI Support and LGA 775 and PS2 Ports and Floppy Connector and Firewire (1/1):
          ==================================================================================
          DQ965GF
          D975XBX
          D975XBX2
          DG965WH
          DG965OT
          DG965MQ

Hope that this can give you an idea where to start your own research.

Make sure to check the board available configuration from the board support site.

As you can see, you wont get a new board with all the preferences that you want to get.
          As for DVI, you will need to check which board comes with 2 DVI connectors.

Note: Do check information on support for the board, as some may go End of Interactive Support or End of Life.

Check the features of the new boards:
          DB43LD, DG43GT, DQ43AP, DG41RQ

All the best,

Regards,
          Aryan