I just put it into the other USB port where my remote mouse usb signal was as it was interfering with it and I get the same first message. I restarted the computer but no USB 3 from the front ports.No problems with the rear ports.
The fact that it somehow successfully linked to the USB 3 controller driver at one point would seem to suggest that it is a software fault, not hardware.
Why is it the front ports? How to fix it?
Keveen, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your NUC. However, thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us, since the troubleshooting performed may help other users.
The following link includes the latest version of the USB 3.0 driver. Could you please install it and let me know the results? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824
OK I tried that but no difference I'm afraid. In fact I can't repeat the occasion when it did actually work properly, as shown in the tests.
I tried to uninstall the driver and restart my computer but then my wifi mouse wasn't recognised. Had to use Safe mode to reinstall the USB3 driver to what it is now 184.108.40.206.
Another legacy device Emprex ME1 doesn't work but that is another issue. I'll be happy if I can get USB 3 function working.
Still no way to get the front ports working??
Very annoying to have half the ports working. I don't really want to send it back for replacement but I did buy a 4 usb3 port pc.
Plus the Emprex hard drive enclosure works fine from my old laptop (running Windows 8)!!
Keveen, I'm going to report this right away.
Thanks. Here is some more interesting information.
I bought a USB 3 hub.
Plugged it into a front port and then connected the USB drive: no popup telling me that it was in USB 2 mode. Did the test and yes it is now working at USB 3 speeds.
So the facts are that if I use the front USB 3 ports directly they won't kick into USB 3 mode, they go down to USB 2.
If I use a USB 3 hub (unpowered) in the same front port it operates at USB 3 speeds!
Again I suppose it shows that the front ports are basically OK. So again I'm guessing the problem lies in the firmware?
From a docking station connected to the hub, my older Samsung SATA drive is read but my newer WD SATA hard drive is not!
thanks for the infomation.
I have the same trouble. I have three different USB Sticks, they are Lexar S33 16GB, Transcend JetFlash 700 32GB and SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 64GB. Only SanDisk works under USB 3.0 with full speed. Other two sticks have the message "the device can perform faster xxx" from Windows 7 64bit OS, and only have USB 2.0 speed. I have tried all 4 USB ports and got the same result.
Hi all, if you are still having this issue, please try this workaround:
get back to the generic USB driver: Boot into Safe mode with F8.
In Control Panel > Programs and Features, uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver.
If you were able to resolved it, please let me know how you did it?
I had exactly the same problem last year. On front USB ports my external USB3.0 HDD couldn't work at usb 3.0 speed (only USB 2.0) and some devices wasn't working at all(flash stick, USB tuner). On rear ports everything was working well. I spent 2 months discussing about this issue with Intel support. No success. Intel was ofcourse blaming the other manufacturers.
Then I searched for USB 3.0 specification and found the true source of my problems: USB 3.0 socket uses extra 5 pins which are placed at front of the socket. USB 2.0 contacts are placed behind theese USB 3.0 contacts. So it is obvious, if you do not properly insert the plug into the socket, there is a high probability, the contats in the plug and in the socket do not meet each other.
I took some measuring and found that front sockets are deeper inside the NUC by 0.5 mm than the rear sockets, but this was enough for incorrect operation. When I compared sockets between my notebook and NUC, I have found that sockets in the NUC are much deeper inside the case.
If the plug is too inside its body you can't fully insert the plug into the socket and than we have a problem.
So try this: cut some plastic from the plug just to make sure the plug is realy fully inserted in the socket. In my case then everything started work well on the front ports.