10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 7:46 AM by Pablik

USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK

keveen

When I plugged  in a  new Transcend USB 3.0 device into one of the front ports, I get a pop up message: "This Device Can Perform Faster if you plug it ... into a USB 3.0 port"

I did a speed test which verified it was running at USB 2.0 speeds. However it worked fine in the back ports.

I accidentally hit the off button and had to restart my computer. This time no message and I am getting USB 3 speeds.

• First test

USB MODEL,SIZE (MiB),Operating System,Platform,Seq. Rd/Wr,SPEED (MiB/s),SPEED (MB/s)

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),READ,36.6,39.3

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),WRITE,17.7,19

• Test on the back port

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),READ,99.1,106.4

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),WRITE,24.8,26.6

• Test on the same front port after restarting

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),READ,101.7,109.2

JetFlash Transcend 16GB,15376,Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601) SP1.0 64-bit,Intel Corporation  ( GEWY344009CS D34010WYK                                  ),WRITE,22.1,23.7

Apparently the write speeds are correct. Apparently there is not much difference in the write speeds between usb 2and 3!!

Strange. I report this just so anybody else having problems can compare and test.

I had previously installed the latest USB 3.0 drivers - Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver

• 1. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
          keveen

I just put it into the other USB port where my remote mouse usb signal was as it was interfering with it and I get the same first message. I restarted the computer but no USB 3 from the front ports.No problems with the rear ports.

The fact that it somehow successfully linked to the USB 3 controller driver at one point would seem to suggest that it is a software fault, not hardware.

Why is it the front ports? How to fix it?

• 2. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
            sylvia_intel

Keveen, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your NUC. However, thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us, since the troubleshooting performed may help other users.

The following link includes the latest version of the USB 3.0 driver. Could you please install it and let me know the results?   https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824

• 3. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
              keveen

OK I tried that but no difference I'm afraid. In fact I can't repeat the occasion when it did actually work properly, as shown in the tests.

I tried to uninstall the driver and restart my computer but then my wifi mouse wasn't recognised. Had to use Safe mode to reinstall the USB3 driver to what it is now 2.5.3.34.

Another legacy device Emprex ME1 doesn't work but that is another issue. I'll be happy if I can get USB 3 function working.

• 4. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                keveen

Still no way to get the front ports working??

Very annoying to have half the ports working. I don't really want to send it back for replacement but I did buy a 4 usb3 port pc.

Plus the Emprex hard drive enclosure works fine from my old laptop (running Windows 8)!!

• 5. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                  sylvia_intel

Keveen, I'm going to report this right away.

• 6. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                    keveen

Thanks. Here is some more interesting information.

I bought a USB 3 hub.

Plugged it into a front port and then connected the USB drive: no popup telling me that it was in USB 2 mode. Did the test and yes it is now working at USB 3 speeds.

So the facts are that if I use the front USB 3 ports directly they won't kick into USB 3 mode, they go down to USB 2.

If I use a USB 3 hub (unpowered) in the same front port it operates at USB 3 speeds!

Again I suppose it shows that the front ports are basically OK. So again I'm guessing the problem lies in the firmware?

From a docking station connected to the hub, my older Samsung SATA drive is read but my newer WD SATA hard drive is not!

• 7. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                      sylvia_intel

thanks for the infomation.

• 8. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                        maxime

I have the same trouble. I have three different USB Sticks, they are Lexar S33 16GB, Transcend JetFlash 700 32GB and SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 64GB. Only SanDisk works under USB 3.0 with full speed. Other two sticks have the message "the device can perform faster xxx" from Windows 7 64bit OS, and only have USB 2.0 speed. I have tried all 4 USB ports and got the same result.

• 9. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                          sylvia_intel

Hi all, if you are still having this issue, please try this  workaround:

get back to the generic USB driver: Boot into Safe mode with F8.

In Control Panel > Programs and Features, uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver.

If you were able to resolved it, please let me know how you did it?

• 10. Re: USB 3 port intermettent error on  D34010WYK
                            Pablik

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem last year. On front USB ports my external USB3.0 HDD couldn't work at usb 3.0 speed (only USB 2.0) and some devices wasn't working at all(flash stick, USB tuner). On rear ports everything was working well. I spent 2 months discussing about this issue with Intel support. No success. Intel was ofcourse blaming the other manufacturers.

Then I searched for USB 3.0 specification and found the true source of my problems: USB 3.0 socket uses extra 5 pins which are placed at front of the socket. USB 2.0 contacts are placed behind theese USB 3.0 contacts. So it is obvious, if you do not properly insert the plug into the socket, there is a high probability, the contats in the plug and in the socket do not meet each other.

I took some measuring and found that front sockets are deeper inside the NUC by 0.5 mm than the rear sockets, but this was enough for incorrect operation. When I compared sockets between my notebook and NUC, I have found that sockets in the NUC are much deeper inside the case.

If the plug is too inside its body you can't fully insert the plug into the socket and than we have a problem.

So try this: cut some plastic from the plug just to make sure the plug is realy fully inserted in the socket. In my case then everything started work well on the front ports.

Pablik