3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 9:47 AM by kevin_intel

How to uninstall iaStor

AndrewFalanga

Hello,

How does one actually uninstall this tenacious driver?  On the system I was issued at work, the Intel Rapid RAID stuff was installed.  I found the HBA in the Device Manager uninstalled the Intel driver (and clicked that it should remove the driver files associated as well) and the device uninstalled successfully.  (This was done because in our environment, we must use the "Standard AHCI 1.0" driver from Microsoft.  Yes, I know I'm missing out on functionality.)  However, after uninstalling the driver in this manner, that darn iaStor is STILL present and running on the system.  How does one delete this thing?  Is iaStor part of something "bigger" (that sounds almost sinister)?  If so, what's the spell to uninstall that?

Using pnputil I've been unable to find a likely candidate which would have installed it.

Andy

• 1. Re: How to uninstall iaStor

Hi AndrewFalanga,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

The iaStor file comes preinstalled in the Operating System with the AHCI mode. Once the IRST driver is installed in the operating system the file/driver will be updated by the Intel® driver.

What I mean is that the driver is part of the OS and it cannot be uninstall from the system since it comes already preinstalled in the OS by MS.

• 2. Re: How to uninstall iaStor
            AndrewFalanga

Aha, now that makes sense with what I've been seeing.  I couldn't find what installed because it was the OS that had installed it.  Interesting.  So, what does this thing do?

• 3. Re: How to uninstall iaStor

Hi AndrewFalanga,

The IaStor.sys is a Windows driver. A driver is a small software program that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or connected devices. This means that a driver has direct access to the internals of the OS, hardware etc.