1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 2:29 AM by OllieB

Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems

micoba

FW024:

- Nuc still reboots with Openelec

- now I can't even boot automatically via USB AT ALL - only manually!!!

- my USB 3.0 Stick is still only recognised occasionally

C'mon Intel! THAT'S NOT PROFESSIONAL!!!

• 1. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
          allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that have had issues with your NUC computer.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter. I will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for future consideration.

If you are under Linux, please bear in mind that your operating system is not fully supported by Intel

See the list of supported operating systems for NUC systems:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034034.htm

Allan.

• 2. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
            micoba

Thank you for you answer.

BUT, we're talking about Linux, a well established OS worldwide! It's in a way emberassing to even say, that Intel HW in 2014 doesn't fully support Linux. BTW this is nothing against you personally, allan_intel, it's your job to take Intels side.

The NUC would be perfect as a HTPC - something that Intel must have had in mind, when they included the ir port. That said, in my opinion it's unrealistic to expect people to buy a NUC as a HTPC but to use windows ...

Don't get me wrong: XBMC + Win 8.1  works perfectly (at least for me). But that's not the point, especially when most NUC threads are related to Linux problems. I and I think most of the people browsing your communities looking for info regarding the NUC don't want to be limited in how they use a product, for that they paid a lot of money.

So, please, take Linux users seriously! We might be globally a minority, but certainly not regarding products like your NUC!

Thanks for your attention.

• 3. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
              bustamelon

It doesn't make any sense to me why the unit would stay asleep with Windows and not with Linux.  All I know is I also use Linux/OpenElec, and agree with the previous post.  I'm willing to bet 75-80% of these devices will be used as HTPCs, and the vast majority of them will run some form of Linux.  How is it not in Intel's interest to show at least a tiny bit of interest in that demographic?

• 4. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                OllieB

@allan_intel,

I am like others surprised by the position of Intel in response to the problems reported. Stating that Linux is not an operating system that is supported by the Intel hardware would be a valid argument some 10 years ago but definitely not in the current market. I sincerely hope that Intel will reconsider this position and offer the Linux users the support and attention they deserve.

• 5. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                  appie

I'm experiencing the same problem with OpenElec.

But if it's true that windows does not wake up after a few seconds wouldn't this mean that
                  the Linux network driver is lacking some code needed to get it in the right
                  sleep state?

My two Euro cents

• 6. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                    jphorx

Intel actually published a guide on setting up a NUC system running linux and XBMC.  For them to come back and say it isn't supported is hypocritical.

Here's the guide!

• 7. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                      JasonHoffman

jphorx,

I don't speak in any kind of official capacity.  I'm a NUC owner like you who happens to be an Intel employee.  But my impression is that they encourage users to use Linux on the NUCs, they just aren't able to support or write Linux drivers.

Jason

• 8. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                        jphorx

@JasonHoffman

Hi Jason,

The impression I got from the guide even existing was that Linux is officially supported.  As end users we tend to take things like this at face value, without reading the fine print.

I'd venture to guess that at least a third of the NUCs out there are being used to run Linux of one flavor or another, probably more.  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that being encouraged by the manufacturer to do something (like use Linux) should mean that those users that go ahead and do it should be properly supported.

Is there anything that we as the end users can do to lobby Intel to ramp up it's support of Linux?

• 9. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                          JasonHoffman

jphorx,

I can definitely understand the frustration from the community.  I've been a big advocate of using Linux because it's cheap and stable and makes a great platform for XBMC and other HTPC uses.

A big part of the problem on the Intel side is that in order to work on correcting a problem they have to be able to reproduce it in the lab.  So for example the issues with A/V receivers means they need to have a receiver with the problem so they can test it.  That complicates things. That plus the fact that not everyone sees the behavior makes tracking down the cause (and therefore the solution) that much harder.  I've rolled up the common issues I've seen here in the peer network and sent them directly to the team.  These are the ones I sent them.

• Can’t get into the BIOS by pressing F2 at startup
                          • When trying to shut down the NUC it reboots instead (I’ve seen this one myself)
                          • Problems trying to use the NUC with an HDMI audio receiver (if the receiver is powered down then back up, the NUC doesn’t detect HDMI audio until being rebooted)
                          • No display on boot up (probably the 1024X768 requirement)
                          • No Windows 7 drivers
                          • The fact that, as one post pointed out today, Intel released a how to for using Linux on the NUC, yet when there’s a problem in Linux the response is “we only support Windows”
                          • No HDMI audio in Windows 8.1 (I believe this one got fixed with the last BIOS)

If anyone can think of any others let me know.

Thanks.

Jason

• 10. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                            OllieB

Hi Jason,

There are also some problems with the infrared sensor. In openelec we currently use the following work-around in an autostart script

# IR fix

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir

echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources

modprobe nuvoton-cir

I am not really sure whether this is a Intel/Linux or openelec problem though.

Regards,

Olaf

• 11. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                              frarev

I bought my first i5 Haswell Intel NUC and was very optimistic to build a HTPC with OpenElec.

But i have issues that JasonHoffman speaks about :

- sometimes, the NUC gets ON by itself

- if I change my Yamaha AV Receiver input and then go back to the NUC, the NUC freezes or can"t detect the HDMI correctly or can't detect the correct video framerate.

So, this is a very frustrating service from an Intel machine and get a little disapointing.

• 12. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                                Aquila

A Workaround for the Reboot issue is to disable WOL in Bios.

Another bug is, while i´m browsing in Bios with a Keyboard, the Nuc gets Freezing.

You can test it by yourself, try  to disable Wake on Lan with Keyboard in Bios. A Workaround is to use a Mouse instead of Keyboard.

The "No display on boot up (probably the 1024X768 requirement)" Bug is maybe only due to 3.0. I think the USB

3.0 Driver doesn`t start in time

I use Openelec too and i can´t believe, that intel Nuc doesn´t support Linux.

I´m hopefull

• 13. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                                  frarev

Thanks Aquila. I know the work around about disabling WOL, I already did it and usually works. I can successfully shut down my OpenElec with my Yamaha AV Remote. But sometimes, few hours later, it still goes ON....

And, as you, I had the bug with the keyboard too.

It's been a bit amateurish from Intel.

• 14. Re: Firmware 024 Haswell Nuc - still the same problems
                                    OllieB

Hi Aquilla, on my NUC the boot splash screen is not shown and I do not have any USB 3 devices attached.

1 2 Previous Next