14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 4:03 AM by tra757

Galileo Editors

rmm200

Well I hate Vi almost as much as Emacs - but it is all I have been using on Galileo.

My favorite editor for years has been Eclipse, but it requires a GPU. I think.

What are other people using for a c++ editor on Galileo? I really want one with formatting, keyword highlighting, completion, and maybe syntax checking, and will work using a ssh console.

• 1. Re: Galileo Editors
          Intel_Jesus

Hi rmm200,

I installed nano text editor on my Linux image I built following Sergey's blog (http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog). I downloaded nano from http://www.nano-editor.org/download.php.

Regards,

Intel_JEspinoza

• 2. Re: Galileo Editors
            rmm200

Thanks JE!

I am loving this quirky little board. It has done everything I have asked of it, and fast to boot.

Let me recommend an interesting link:

Editor war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially look at the text editor comparison link.

The commands I used to install nano were:

wget http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.2/nano-2.2.6.tar.gz

tar -xzf nano*.gz

cd nano*

configure

make

make install

Took me longer to type this than to actually make nano, and I think I like it!  Works great over SSH.

The ease of installing packages on Galileo is one reason I am going to be stuck on 0.8.0 for a very long time... This thing is customized, and I have way too many hours invested adding stuff.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Galileo Editors
              rmm200

This is working out really well...

Take one tablet, like a Nexus 7.

Add an SSH client, like ConnectBot, and Hacker's keyboard (for ctl and escape, among other specials).

My Galileo is off in a room by itself.

Here am I, at the breakfast table, coffee in one hand and tablet in the other.

Entering c++ programs, compiling them, and executing them on the Galileo from the tablet.

Life is good.

Maybe I need to get out more...

• 4. Re: Galileo Editors
                Clayton Hofrock

If only your nexus 7 had a 4G connection. With that, and setting up a VPN, you could connect to your Galileo while sitting on a park bench.

• 5. Re: Galileo Editors
                  msg4alex

Hey,

you can try www.wyliodrin.com, it is  Web editor for Raspberry Pi and Intel Galileo. You write your programs in the browser and it deploys them to the device. The languages you may use are Arduino, Python, C/C++, Shell and a visual one.

We would like to get some feedback on it.

Alexandru

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Galileo Editors
                    Copernicus

Thanks for posting these steps - I was thrilled to find this post on Nano.

Where is the line drawn on basic BSP components vs repository vs outside the repository?

It would be nice to have a way to capture the customizations you're making for ez rebuilds in the future.

It seems like most of the code changes will be triggered by one of these activities:

0) Updates to the BSP

1) Customizations to the main BSP recipes

2) OPKG updates/installs

3) WGET updates/installs (like you described with Nano)

4) Locally created code (direct compiles)

5) Arduino sketches

• 7. Re: Galileo Editors
                      EJP

Alexandru

This is a very nice site ...

I really love it...

I have to check now if the generated code is performant

Thanks you again

Eric

• 8. Re: Galileo Editors
                        rmm200

Msg4Alex: Nice looking site, although I am not thrilled with giving any web page access to my contacts list.

For the same reason, I would not give my router SSID and password out.

Should not be a problem though, since my WiFi Galileo is indistinguishable from an Ethernet connection on my network.

So I have a running SD image that I built - where do I put your wyliodrin.json file, and what do I have to do to get it activated?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Galileo Editors
                          msg4alex

hey,

the performance should be the same as with the Arduino IDE, in Python it will be slower. We work in setting up a better Python version.

Alexandru

• 10. Re: Galileo Editors
                            msg4alex

We are not using / storing your friends list, the feature will be useful for sharing projects (it is not public yet). The SSID id if for creating the wyliodrin.json file, if you do not wish to enter them on the website (even though we cannot track you network), you can edit the json file and write them there.

if you have your own image compiled, you will have to install out software manually. You can find it at Wyliodrin/wyliodrin-server-nodejs · GitHub. The install script is for Raspberry Pi, for Galileo you need:

* nodejs 0.10

* wyliodrin-server-nodejs -> npm install to download dependecies

* libwyliodrin - Wyliodrin/libwyliodrin · GitHub - make BOARD=arduinogalileo and make BOARD=arduinogalileo python

It is still a beta, so it might not work out of the box like this, if you have any questions, please ask us.

Alexandru

• 11. Re: Galileo Editors
                              AlphaCHarly

Which compiler are you using on the Galileo and how you install it ???

• 12. Re: Galileo Editors
                                rmm200

Well compilers are an exception to my "build it from source" rule. Chicken and egg thing. I followed Sergey's blog and included build tools in my yocto image. That gives you GCC, g++, and python. From there you can build pretty much anything. I immediately built Ruby.

• 13. Re: Galileo Editors
                                  AlphaCHarly

It is what I was afraid to, as I have not available a Unix machine to gen the image, I found the GCC library on Alex repo, but I could not find the compiler itself.

I wonder if someone can prepare a compiler package and publish it.

Thanks.

AC/.

• 14. Re: Galileo Editors
                                    tra757

Call me old school, but I learned a long long time ago that if you come to love vi you will always have an editor out of the box.  I highly recommend to anyone starting out in Linux that they learn and come to know the rich functionality of vi.  I used to hate vi also, but have come to love it because its always there and it really is powerful.

Just saying.

Tim