4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 6:46 PM by pim

Processor thermal margin warning.

btillchock

Today I upgraded my Intel processor from an E6300 to an E7600 dual core processor. All seemed fine until the OS(Vista premium) displayed a 'processor thermal margin' warning. According to the Intel system utility the processor themal margin was reading zero.

The motherboard in an Intel DG965WH.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG?

• 1. Re: Processor thermal margin warning.
          unplugged_24

Hi there,

It looks like it's just a mis-reading from the application since there has been hardware change. Don't worry, you are not doing anything wrong.

Can you try to re-install the Intel Desktop Utilities latest version: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2375&

DwnldID=17565&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2032&lang=eng

If the latest one does not work, you can the previous version from this link: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/idu/

If there is no change, check what is the temperature readings in BIOS and you may also try to reseat the processor properly in the socket and also make sure you are using the fan that came with the E7600 and not the one that you were using with the E6300.

Hope this will be helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

• 2. Re: Processor thermal margin warning.
            Aryan2411

Hi there,

Well, as  Unplugged stated in the previous post, it seemed to be a mis-reading of the application.

One more thing to do additionally is to:

Do a CMOS Clear on the board by removing the battery for 10-15 minutes.

Disconnect the AC Power.

Once done, make sure to load the BIOS to default F9 and F10.

One more thing if you had a raid configured, make sure to change the settings in the bios as when set to default it remains as IDE.

Thanks for helping out Unplugged

All the best.

Regards,

Aryan

• 3. Re: Processor thermal margin warning.
              frank8888

Hi, btillchock

If Processor thermal margin goes to Zero, that means the temperature of your processor has reached to Tjmax. So you need ensure if the fan has been seated correctly or has the latest BIOS to support this processor.

But according to the processor compatibility list for DG965WH, E7600 is not supported by this board. I think that is why a mis-reading from IDU.

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965wh

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank

• 4. Re: Processor thermal margin warning.
                pim

When vista gives the error, shutdown. Start immediate again and go into the bios.

There you can find somewhere the different tempratures and fan speeds,

If it shows nomal tempratures, the the problem is probably with vista.

If it is to hot feel the heat sink. Can you hold your fingers on it?

If yes, the heat transfer from the processor to the heatsink is not right.

Dit you apply thermal past between prosessor and heat sink?