1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 8:48 AM by allan_intel

Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions

JamesSWD

Greetings,

I've been all over the boards for the past couple of nights, looking for specific instructions & steps to take to break a RAID1. But there's so many different postings that it's hard to figure out the correct procedure. I'll specify what I have & need below. I'd really appreciate if specific instructions & steps could be provided, plus any additional info that you'd find helpful. A definitive 'How To' would be great or even a sticky.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Motherboard: Intel DP55KG

Hard Drives: Two identical WD RE3 750 GB SATA Hard Drives (WD7502ABYS)

RAID Config: RAID1 on SATA II, using the RAID controller built into this motherboard

RAID Software: Intel IRST v. 9.5.0.1037

RAID option ROM version:  10.6.0.1091

Notes: I've never had any problems with the RAID, no errors, no rebuilds, no problems at all over the past 4 years.

I want to break this RAID1, without losing any data on the drives, and use the two hard drives independently as normal drives from now on. I'm aware that I have to go into the Option ROM via the 'Control-I' procedure to access the RAID controller and this is where I get fuzzy after all my readings here.

IMPORTANT: My O/S, applications, and data are on the drives and I want to KEEP them intact. I do not want to lose any data and I do not want to format the drives. I simply want to break the RAID1 and then continue using one of the drives as my main drive in a non-RAID...just like a normal computer setup. (At a later date, I'll format the second drive to use for something else).

QUESTIONS:

1. After entering the Option ROM, when in the Main Menu, do I first choose the option "Reset Disks to Non-RAID"?
      2. After this, and following prompts to complete the procedure, then what is the next thing to do?
      3. I'm curious if I ever go back and choose the option to "Delete RAID Volume". Since the RAID is broken, it seems logical to delete the volume, but how does this affect the data on the drives once I've "Reset Disks to Non-RAID"?
      4. In the BIOS, I'll leave the hard drive config set to RAID because I've read this is the most flexible way to leave things for future options?
      5. Do I disconnect, reconnect, or what with any of the drives during this procedure?

See what I mean...it's all these unknowns and questions that are hanging me up. I just can't find any solid documentation or step-by-step procedure on how to undo my RAID1 while preserving the contents of both drives. Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated.

If I can provide any other info, please let me know.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
          allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that you have had trouble finding step by step information about RAID 1 reset to non raid.

For this information I recommend checking Intel Rapid Storage user manual

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you need to select the option "Reset Disks to Non-RAID
          2. Next step is select drives you want to reset. You will get generic warning about : all data will be gone” but this is fine, this is just generic message. For RAID 1, this will not happen.
          3. There is no need to select Delete RAID Volume because you will reset your hard drive to a non RAID state.
          4. Yes, leave BIOS configuration as Raid. If you ever switch this back to IDE or AHCI, you will need to reinstall operating system.
          5. There is no need to disconnect or reconnect your drives.

Allan.

• 2. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
            JamesSWD

Hi Allan...thank you for your response. I have a couple of other questions regarding this:

1. After using the option to "Reset Disks to Non-RAID", is the RAID volume automatically removed by the software after the reset? Do the two disks then appear as just two normal hard drives?
            2. After the reset occurs, do both hard drives become bootable, since the O/S, applications, data are still on both drives because they were once a RAID1? If so, does it matter which drive I leave in the machine to become the main drive?
              • I've read postings from others who have had issues with removing the wrong drive after breaking a RAID1, though that seems odd.
            3. Both drives are on SATA II ports: One drive is on Port 0 and the other drive is on Port 1. Which drive automatically becomes the boot drive after the reset?
            4. Once the main drive is determined, is it then safe to format the second drive to use for another purpose?

I have the IRST user manual PDF document that you linked me to, but it doesn't have any information about resetting disks to non-RAID, hence my questions. Overall, Intel has not provided anywhere any detailed information about breaking RAIDs. I have been all over the Intel site for several days and the info they provide is very rare and lacking.

Thank you for your help regarding this and I look forward to your answers and help.

• 3. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
              allan_intel

1. After using the option to "Reset Disks to Non-RAID", is the RAID volume automatically removed by the software after the reset? Do the two disks then appear as just two normal hard drives? Yes, that’s correct

2. After the reset occurs, do both hard drives become bootable, since the O/S, applications, data are still on both drives because they were once a RAID1? If so, does it matter which drive I leave in the machine to become the main drive? Yes, they become bootable, it does not matter which one drive you leave for boot option.

I've read postings from others who have had issues with removing the wrong drive after breaking a RAID1, though that seems odd. ok

3. Both drives are on SATA II ports: One drive is on Port 0 and the other drive is on Port 1. Which drive automatically becomes the boot drive after the reset? There is always priority for port 0

4.    Once the main drive is determined, is it then safe to format the second drive to use for another purpose? Yes, because by this time your system has already booted the operating system.

Allan.

• 4. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                JamesSWD

Hi again Allan,

Just letting you know that your answers about breaking my RAID1 were correct.

After using the option to "Reset Disks to Non-RAID", the RAID volume was automatically gone and the two disks then appear as just two normal hard drives, both with bootable Win7 left intact. Nothing else needed to be done, except decide which drive you wanted to keep bootable Win7 on, while removing the other drive to repurpose.

Important point to remember is leave your BIOS hard disk configuration as RAID. Do NOT change it to IDE or AHCI or you will have to reinstall the operating system and your applications & data.

I even interchanged the two disks to verify either one could be used for booting...and it worked like nothing had changed.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

• 5. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                  allan_intel

Hi, I am glad to hear that our assistance aided you in the resolution of the issue you were experiencing.  If you run into any problems in the future or have any questions of a technical nature, please to do not hesitate to contact us again.

Allan.

• 6. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                    IngBert

Hi interesting to follow this Q/A because I have a similar problem:

I'm using RAID-1  with the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.0

instead of "Intel IRST v. 9.5.0.1037"

and isn't able to find the option to "Reset Disks to Non-RAID".

A simple question where to find the option:

I suppose that all other comments are same as for JamesSWD above.

Thanks in advance

Ingvar

• 7. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                      allan_intel

Hello IngBert, thanks for joining.

The option "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" is available only if you access RAID BIOS, this is when you hit CTRL + I while booting up the computer.

See picture attached:

• 8. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                        IngBert

Thanks, Simple when you know it, and I suppose it will work

You said above "Do not uninstall the SW", but is the RAID software compatible with Win8.1 if/when I go from Vista to Win8?

Thanks in advance

Ingvar

• 9. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                          allan_intel

Thanks for coming back to the community.

The latest driver available for Windows 8.1 is version 12.9, please check Readme file for compatibility between your chipset model and the software version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23496&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

Allan.

• 10. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                            IngBert

Thanks again Allan

First: It looks like my questions are a little bit from the original question to split the RAID-1 pair, so do you want me to open a new support entry or continue in this one?

I had a look at th ReadMe.txt pointed out in your answer and have some followed up questions:

- I suppose the IRST driver 12.9.0.1001 will be installed in the new windows 8.1 system after the base installation. By the way, installed on a new SSD Intel 520 connected in parallell to the two old splitted RAID-1 drives with the old VISTA system. Does the driver in any way affect the BIOS-code? I want to te able to fall back to the old VISTA System as back!

- When reading the ReadMe.txt section 1 I can't find my RAID-controller (Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller) and want to know if I need to install the new driver? The old driver is 8.0.0.1039 if I'm reading right.

- In same way I'm looking in section 2 and don't find my processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300. Install the th driver or not?

- If still valid to install and do it according to section 5. What to do after that? Section 7 and 8? I suppose still not section 9 as you said above "Do not uninstall the IRST" because you have to reinstall windows again.

- What about section 10 and further "the Pre-OS User interface"?

It was a lot. Perhaps I've got in a dead end? Please help me or direct me to another support!

Thank in advance again.

Ingvar

• 11. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                              allan_intel

Thanks for coming back to the community.

When installing RST 12.9 it does not affect any BIOS code, that’s software and it will update a driver called iastor.sys

Please bear in mind the latest RST supports win8.1 but it will handle newer chipsets. If you are looking for support for an old Intel chipset you may not be able to get same support for different rapid storage software versions.

For earlier ICH controllers, the latest version is 9.6 compatible for Windows XP and Windows 7.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15251&ProdId=3409&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=

Allan.

• 12. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                                IngBert

Thanks Allan

Only to dubbelcheck:

For older ICH controller (it looks like I have that) I only can use 9.6, but this driver doesn't support Win 8.1, only up to Win 7. To run Win 8.1 I need 12.9 and this is too new for my old controller.

It looks like moment 22. I can't do the upgrade to Win 8.1 without uninstall/delete the RAID sw, OK?

If I want to have fallback to Win VISTA after RADI1 delete I have to reinstall Win VISTA again. Is that OK?

Best regards

Ingvar

• 13. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                                  allan_intel

Hi IngBert.

Yes, for earlier ICH controllers it goes up to 9.6 and this will be compatible for Windows 7. For win8.1 you will need version 12.9.

It will be better to start from scratch if you already installed Windows 8.1 on your system.

Allan.

• 14. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                                    IngBert

Hi again

Thanks for earlier answers about breaking RAID-1 and details about it.

I discovered it was impossible to upgrade my “old” configuration to Win 8.1 and still have a fallback to Vista and keep my ICH RAID-1 configuration.

Today I have got an Intel SSD 520 180GB and have a free SATA port for it, and want to ask about an upgrade using that SSD.

My idea is to skip RAID-1 and install Win 8.1 (only the operation system) at the new SSD in following steps:

1. Reset “Disks to Non-RAID” in Vista but keep RAID option in the BIOS
                                    2. Plug in the new SSD to a free SATA port and install WIN 8.1 at the SSD without RAID-1 configuration
                                    3. Use one of the two earlier RAID HDD with my old data to the new Win 8.1 on the SSD
                                    4. The other RAID HDD with my old data and Vista OS will be a fall back.

Does this scenario look good/OK, especially item 3?

Is there any tag at the reseted disk so it not will be usable in the new operation system Win 8.1 without ICH RAID-1?

Ingvar

1 2 Previous Next