4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 4:57 PM by Qboy61

SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device NUC 54250WYKH

Qboy61

I have an Intel NUC D54250WYKH with Windows 8.1 Enterprise.  Most of the drivers self installed but I have 2 drivers missing.  In the device manager under "Other Devices" there is an "SM Bus Controller on PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3" and "Unknown Device on PCI standard ISA bridge" indicating a warning due to missing drivers.  I have downloaded the "Driver Bundle" but the only thing that appears to install is the audio driver.  It is possible that one of the missing items is the IR sensor which I don't see a driver for.  I may have installed Windows in the wrong order since I installed the OS and immediately updated it without first installing drivers.

Does anyone know what these missing drivers are?

• 1. Re: SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device NUC 54250WYKH
          spearson

Qboy61,

The most important package to install is the INF Update package. This will resolve the SMBus entry as well as updating/configuring many others. For the IR interface, you want to install the CIR driver package.

Overall, you should definitely install *all* of the drivers in the bundle; many of the drivers that are available (automatically) via Windows Update are slightly older versions and the bundle raises them to the latest (well, "near" latest; there is the odd driver that was released after the bundles) and addresses issues that have been identified...

...Scott

• 2. Re: SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device NUC 54250WYKH
            Qboy61

Scott,

Thanks for the response.  Got the drivers downloaded after realizing the webpage was resetting to no filters for OS and I was getting lost on too many available downloads.  I have the machine up and running.  It boots in about 12 sec into Win8.1 with a Samsung EVO 120GB and a WD 320GB 2.5" HDD.  The machine is VERY responsive.

A new problem has occurred now three times.  I have selected something incorrect in the BIOS and the F2 BIOS access is non-functional.  I was able to get out of this twice previously by letting Windows boot and then applying the BIOS update which would somehow reset the ability of the BIOS to read the F2 keyboard function.  Now experimenting by disabling SATA in the BIOS I have damaged the machine's ability to access the drives so there is no boot drive and I get a message on the monitor confirming that.  BUT, again F2 will not work to access the BIOS and I cant resort to booting into the OS as I've previously recovered.  Intel needs to fix this somehow.  I would assume I need to do a BIOS recovery unless there is some other method of accessing the BIOS.

• 3. Re: SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device NUC 54250WYKH
              spearson

Qboy61,

Power off your machine and then power it on holding the power button down for 3 seconds. This should pop up the recovery menu, which allows you to get control back. Note that holding the button down for too long (4 seconds) will result in hard power off, so you may have to try this a time or two to get the hang of it...

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device NUC 54250WYKH
                Qboy61

Thanks Scott!  Got it running again.

Rick