9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 1:20 PM by rmm200

Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?

MichaelCollier

I noticed in getting started guide section4. it says "Note: Always connect the 5V power before the USB connection." but doesn't say why, can it do any harm to the board if either of the USB ports are connected to another device while the galileo is un-powered or is it simply to do with waiting for drivers etc to get started?

In relation to ethernet I tried a few times to get the galileo recognised on my network and in the end had to connect the ethernet cable before I powered the board. Is this definitely the procedure for that or did I miss something?

• 1. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
          rmm200

There are reports on this forum of the firmware being corrupted in a low voltage situation. I don't mind

the processor shutting down on low voltage, but self-destruction is pathological.

I have asked that Intel look at this in the next board revision.

For now - for me - my interface to the board is only through WiFi. No wires.

• 2. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
            Clayton Hofrock

I have personally bricked my Galileo board. Meaning the SPI image was corrupted and the board would no longer boot, and the only way to fix it was with a Dediprog, and a SPI image that had to be built from scratch. Something that at least some makers would not be able to do.

I would recommend connecting power before the USB. Then when powering down, disconnect the USB then the power cable. The Ethernet alone does not draw power, so it does not matter when you plug that in.

The problem is that the Galileo draws about 500mA on it's own with no shields attached. The typical USB connection only provides 500mA. So, if you have something connected that draws a lot of power (in my case it was a motor controller) then you have a risk of the board not having enough power.

My theory is that when the Galileo looses power, it resets itself, and if the power drain continues during the boot process (when the SPI is being accessed) that can corrupt the SPI image. That is just a guess, I have not really done any experiments to verify that.

• 3. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
              MichaelCollier

rmm200 wrote:

For now - for me - my interface to the board is only through WiFi. No wires.

Thanks, does the arduino IDE support up-loading of sketches using WiFi? I can't see any option for it in the menu

• 4. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                MichaelCollier

chofrock wrote:

the only way to fix it was with a Dediprog, and a SPI image that had to be built from scratch.

Thanks, do you have a link (or just the product name) for programmer you use - so I can think about buying one please?

• 5. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                  Intel_Jesus

Hi MichaelCollier,

It is ok to plug in the Ethernet cable before the power cable since the Ethernet does not provide any power. The USB can provide a max of 500mA and the Intel® Galileo draws 550mA (without any shields or wireless card). Using the USB as a power source can corrupt the SPI image as chofrock mentioned.

Regards,

Intel_JEspinoza

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                    Clayton Hofrock

Dediprogs can be ordered from Dediprog in China. However, if you are in the US finding a local supplier is best (due to shipping cost and shipping time)

You will need the SF-100 In-Situ ROM Programmer for Serial Flash model SF100 ($230) and you will need a 2x4 cable SF100 ISP cable ISP1-CB ($6)

I did not buy one. The lab I work in had them. In fact I use them quite often in my normal job (which has nothing to do with Galileo). :-)

• 7. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                      rmm200

The IDE supports serial connections only (COMXX). And you would need an SD Linux image to use WiFi.

If I wanted to upload sketches from the IDE, I would use a usb cable, being careful to plug in power first.

As it is, my Linux won't work with the IDE anyway (GLIBC), and I have my hands full playing on the Linux side.

• 8. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                        MichaelCollier

rmm200 wrote:

my Linux won't work with the IDE anyway (GLIBC), and I have my hands full playing on the Linux side.

Are you doing any programming in C/C++?.. if so, are you using the same compiler toolset that ships with Arduino?

The reason I ask is because I compile using my own IDE, which is configurable for different programming toolsets and target platforms. I'm looking at all things Galileo related, so anything that can be done with it outside of arduino is of great interest to me.

• 9. Re: Connection order; USB, Ethernet and Power?
                          rmm200

All of my tools were brought in through the clanton-full distro. I use G++ to compile all my son's c++ homework. Helps him understand what the C++ standard is, compared to Microsoft's idea of a standard. Anything extra I needed - like git and Ruby - was built from source on the Galileo. I actually know nothing about what toolset the Arduino IDE ships with - except the generated code uses ULIBC. I hope Intel gives us a version that uses GLIBC.