1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 11:09 AM by Clayton Hofrock

Having issues with using all the digital port pins (update)

ALJ-1108ExtremeCoder

I know its been a couple days since last post on this issue .. As I found out the serial port is hard coded or can not turned off by anything on the Arduino

side of things unless there is a command that does this ,but if there was it would not make a bit of difference as I've already move the two pins to another two pins after modifying the LCD shield board (ITDB02 interfaced to a ITDB02-2.4D). After that all said and done I found out that  a 400 MHz 32-bit Intel® Pentium is beat down by a small 16Mhz Arduino Duemilanove board when it comes to displaying anything.. It takes anywhere between  20-30 minutes to

drawn one screen ... As I would say guys (relating to a certain old commercial) WHERE'S THE SPEED!!!!  I don't think none back there maaan....

Come guy's y'all have better speed with an 8088cpu in the stuff Telxon is making (aka scanners for price tags and inventory control) .... Until the speen issue is upgraded I going back to Arm's STM32F429 and Coocox.. Later y'all ( puts the board with the Rensas stuff to collect dust)

• 1. Re: Having issues with using all the digital port pins (update)
          Clayton Hofrock

The processor speed is not the problem. The I/O speed is the problem.

There have been several people looking into the I/O speed problem, and some people have made suggestions as to how to speed it up.

The current reality is that the I/O speeds on Galileo are 100x slower  (at least maybe as bad as 1000x) than most Arduinos.

In the future, I think there might be some software tricks to reduce this time, but I those tricks will probably not beat the I/O speeds of most Arduino devices. Maybe the next version of the board will get the speeds on par with other Arduinos.