Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Worth it?

idata
Employee

Im about to build a new computer, and was wondering if the 975 extreme is really worth the price. I have been following the forums of many communities. What many are saying is save the 700 dollars and buy the 920 CPU and overclock it to 4GHZ with good cooling. With good cooling they are saying 3.5-4.0GHZ is capable and temps stay well under the max.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi,

Though Core i7 975 extreme is much better in terms of performance as compared to 920 however for now, in terms of performance-per-dollar, I'd suggest you go with 920 and overclock it ensuring that you take care of the cooling issues.

Thank you for using Intel, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

idata
Employee

Also, you dont think the 6.4GT will come into play anytime soon as opposed to the 4.8GT on the 920 ?

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Definitely, that will come into play because 920 comes with 4.8GT/s while 975 comes with 6.4GT/s but then the price difference is huge. It's solely your choice to either spend a lot more and get 975 which will operate at a higher frequency with 6.4GT/s without any overclocking while spending a lot less and overclocking the CPU to gain almost the same frequency but lower GT/s.

I personally would like to more and go for 975 and then try overclocking it, but then it's your prerogative keeping your budget in mind

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos