11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 8:05 AM by Darwin19

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!

J@Sebastian80

Hello! I will get straight to the point, I have a huge problem with my USB 3.0 Host Controller... USB ports included! Hopefully I'm posting in the correct place for help... My specs:

Asus K55A Notebook

Intel Core i3-3110M

Intel HM76 / Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset

Intel HD 4000 iGPU

250 GB Samsung 840 SSD

8 GB DDR3 (4 GB x2) 1600 MHz

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) RTM Build 9600

Now, for some time I noticed an issue with my USB ports... I have x1 USB 2.0 and x2 USB 3.0 ports... Win 8.1 by default installs their Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (-0100 Microsoft) driver... v6.3.9600.16384... All of a sudden while my notebook was powered down by Hybrid Shutdown Win 8.1 DELETED that device driver and installed a new one with v6.3.9600.16459 dated  11/8/2013... When I think the correct version should be v6.3.9600.16405 so that it matches the USB Root Hub (xHCI) driver... with a date of  9/16/2013... Am I incorrect in that assumption? The real problem is that now when I have ANYTHING connected to my USB 2.0 port, it always shows up under the USB Root Hub (xHCI) When it should be detected under the Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26... BUT nothing shows up there!!! For some reason Win 8.1 is passing the 2.0 port traffic to a virtual HS Port 3 on the xHCI stack... Why is this happening???   I also discovered that my Host Controller is running as 56 MB/s which is USB 2.0 speeds... That's what USB TreeView indicates... As well as USBlyzer... One last detail, Asus provides a program called Instant On (Which I have uninstalled!) This app provides a 2 second resume time basically replacing Windows Sleep function by saving the system state to RAM... Since I have an SSD I don't need it... When I did have it installed, after windows updated the 3.0 driver... After waking my notebook, Windows reinstalls the 3.0 drivers and re-enumerates the ports in the correct way... BUT my 3.0 ports stop working!!! Whatever I have connected to the 2.0 port shows up in the correct place...  But 3.0 stop working until I restart my notebook... And I'm back with everything showing up under the xHCI root... I tested with USB Test MUTT by Microsoft and a problem was detected with the Intel 3.0 Controller... One final detail... I tried reinstalling the ORIGINAL 3.0 driver that Win 8.1 installed when I Clean installed Win 8.1 and I get an error that the device hardware for that driver cannot be found!!! Windows is forcing the new driver and blocking me from even installing the ORIGINAL MS DRIVER!!! Please help me out!!! Hope you are able too!!! Thx in advance for any and all help!!!

Message was edited by: J Sebastian Inigo I also wanted to add that in Device Manger I'm missing the Generic SuperSpeed Hub that's supposed to be under USB root Hub (xHCI)... I am also including a screenshot of USB TreeView ok... Hope I provided enough info... Thx again in advance for any and all help!!!

• 1. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
          allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that have had issues with USB 3.0 under Windows 8.1.

Please bear in mind Intel provided the hardware on your system; however, the driver support is available through Microsoft since the driver is part of the installation package. I recommend engaging with Microsoft support department for information about this matter:

support.microsoft.com

Please check this link for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033977.htm

Allan.

• 2. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
            J@Sebastian80

Hey Allen! Glad to see that your assisting me with my 2 current issues!!! I was wondering if you can provide me with details as to why I can't install Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller drivers on my notebook? Windows 8.1 seems to force their driver upon me!!! When I was using Win 7 Ultimate I was able to use Intel® drivers from my OEM site and Intel® Download site... I am aware that Win 8.1 has internal USB 3.0 drivers but all over the internet exist cases with their drivers... I will contact Microsoft® for further support on the issue... But as far as my problem concerning that my USB 2.0 port is showing up under the xHCI Root Hub... Would you be able to provide some feedback on the matter??? I am also seeking assistance with Asus but so far they aren't helping in any way...

• 3. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
              allan_intel

Intel only offer drivers for USB 3.0 under Windows 7, I regret to inform you that Intel does not have plans to develop USB 3.0 drivers for Win8. The drivers are provided by Microsoft.

In regards to USB 2.0 is the same thing as USB 3.0 drivers, they are part of the operating system. I recommend checking with Asus for more information.

Allan.

• 4. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                J@Sebastian80

Ok I see... So would you be able to provide your opinion or any thoughts as to why my USB 2.0 port is using the xHCI Root Hub and the Intel® USB 3.0 Host Controller instead of correctly using the EHCI USB 2.0 Controller??? I would really appreciate ANY ideas and opinions you can provide as to what can possibly cause a 2.0 port to show up under a 3.0 Root??? I am going to seek assistance with Microsoft® and Asus® concerning this issue... Just maybe you have any ideas on the matter that might help me a bit???

• 5. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                  allan_intel

You may try to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS and check if USB 2.0 ports are still detected by your operating system as 3.0 root hub, I would say this is the way the operating system detects USB ports on your computer.

Allan.

• 6. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                    caraven

Hi Sebastian,

I have read your thread and I am having similar troubles with some computers in my office and would appreciate if you kindly can share me information about if you could solve this issue with the Microsoft support or if you finally could not solve it.

I will really appreciate your feedback because right now this is a serious problem in my office.

• 7. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                      J@Sebastian80

@caraven

Hey there! Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing a similar issue... Of course I will be very happy to help in any way I can!!! Firstly, can you please provide any & all details about the problem you're having... Also the specs of the rigs that present the issues, please. What OS are they running, and please provide as much info as you can ok... Thus making it as clear as possible so I can assist you as best I can, ok...

Now as far as my status is concerned, I discovered that it's a design flaw on Intels part for my particular chipset revision... Additionally Asus failed in the attempt to correct it... By setting up xHCI HS Port Switching (Routing) Basically what happens is this: The xHCI (USB 3.0) Controller has 4 xHCI (3.0) ports "PAIRED" with 4 HS (2.0) Virtual ports... Total of 8 ports, ok... This allows the 3.0 ports to be backwards compatible with 2.0 devices... Now the flaw is the chipset gets confused and switches a "PHYSICAL" 2.0 port as being one of the "VIRTUAL" 2.0 ports that are part of the xHCI Controller... Its a bit complicated... But the only way I was able to fix the problem was by "Unlocking" my UEFI/BIOS thus unhidding additional USB settings... I then disabled the virtual HS (2.0) ports under the xHCI Controller... Allowing the USB 2.0 port & Controller to function correctly!

Now, depending on you're specific issue and system specs we can see what needs to be done to resolve your situation... Please get back to me ASAP so we can get started ok!

• 8. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                        caraven

J@Sebastian80

Hi man,

I want to comment you that finally I could reach a solution to this issue using a USB 2.0 Hub in those computers in which my devices were not well recognized by Windows. I know that I made my question in this thread a long ago, but I want to say to you thanks for your timely response and tell you that the information that you gave me was very useful.

• 9. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                          Darwin19

J@Sebastian80 wrote:

@caraven

Hey there! Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing a similar issue... Of course I will be very happy to help in any way I can!!! Firstly, can you please provide any & all details about the problem you're having... Also the specs of the rigs that present the issues, please. What OS are they running, and please provide as much info as you can ok... Thus making it as clear as possible so I can assist you as best I can, ok...

Now as far as my status is concerned, I discovered that it's a design flaw on Intels part for my particular chipset revision... Additionally Asus failed in the attempt to correct it... By setting up xHCI HS Port Switching (Routing) Basically what happens is this: The xHCI (USB 3.0) Controller has 4 xHCI (3.0) ports "PAIRED" with 4 HS (2.0) Virtual ports... Total of 8 ports, ok... This allows the 3.0 ports to be backwards compatible with 2.0 devices... Now the flaw is the chipset gets confused and switches a "PHYSICAL" 2.0 port as being one of the "VIRTUAL" 2.0 ports that are part of the xHCI Controller... Its a bit complicated... But the only way I was able to fix the problem was by "Unlocking" my UEFI/BIOS thus unhidding additional USB settings... I then disabled the virtual HS (2.0) ports under the xHCI Controller... Allowing the USB 2.0 port & Controller to function correctly!

Now, depending on you're specific issue and system specs we can see what needs to be done to resolve your situation... Please get back to me ASAP so we can get started ok!

Hello, sorry to bump this thread. Just a quick question, how did you unlock your UEFI/BIOS? My motherboard is an ASUS H81M-D Plus and I can't seem to find any related threads/tutorials on how to unlock those hidden USB settings. I am on Windows 7 Ultimate. My problem was after installing the intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver, the USB 3.0 ports(except USB 2.0 ports) at the back panel malfunctions and when my external HDD - Seagate GoFlex 2TB is left idle on those ports for some time, if I access the drive, the explorer will load for a long time an unusual time of about 30 seconds and then gives me an error saying:

"E: is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

since then, I am unable to access the drive unless I remove it and plug it back again, I've tried reverting to an old driver, tried many solutions found online (changing device settings in registry/disabling suspend on idle) but nothing seems to work. I'm hoping that the method of unlocking and tweaking the additional USB settings found in there would solve my problem ( If it exists in my motherboard model ). I hope you would be able to help me, thanks in advance!

• 10. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                            rudolffischer

I have exactly the same problem with an ASUS H81M Plus board.

When I plugin my LaCie Sound2 Speakers, I get a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error.

I then tried USBlyzer and saw that all devices are attached to the Intel USB3 extensible controller and none to the USB2 EHCI controller. From there I found this thread. Now I finally know what the issue is. Thanks a lot to all of you.

I then did a bit of testing and found the following workaround to at least get the LaCie USB2 Speakers working:

In BIOS set

- Intel xHCI Mode to "Disable"

- EHCI Handoff to "Enable"

This kills the Intel USB3 ports, but enables the USB2 ports as EHCI. Not a pretty solution, in fact not a solution at all.

Tomorrow I will raise a ticket with ASUS support (if I can finally get my motherboard registered).

• 11. Re: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller PROBLEM!!
                              Darwin19

I was able to solve my problem by installing Asus Suite III and enabling the Turbo mode for my Seagate external drive in the USB 3.0 Boost feature and let the Asus USB 3.0 Boost Storage Driver handle my external drive. But still, aren't there any way to solve this rather than installing such application to just make things work?