Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Media Center Goes Blank in Full Screen (HD2000)

SWin
Beginner

Hi,

I have an HTPC that I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Media Center. Everything was fine with Windows 7 but, in Windows 8.1, Media Center goes blank when it's put on full screen mode. I have upgraded the graphics driver to the most recent one version 152820 (as of Feb 2014) and it doesn't solve the problem. The only way to get out of the blank screen is to force reset the computer. My processor is i5-2400 with HD2000 integrated graphics. The motherboard is Asus P8H67M-EVO and I use HDMI output.

I tested Netflix fullscreen, DVD player fullscreen, Flash fullscreen playbacks and they are all fine. It's only Media Center. Media Center works fine when it is not full screen.

Also, once in a while the screen would go blank too and my LG HDTV cannot detect any input signal. This occurrence seems to be random. I can log in to the computer via Remote Desktop from another computer and it would come back on after a restart. But this problem is intermittent, whereas the Media Center fullscreen problem is persistent.

Any known solution for this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi swindoro,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

Based on the information you have provided, I recommend you uninstalling the current driver graphics from Device manager and install the latest one from our side. Here you have the instructions:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034574.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034574.htm

You can download the latest drivers at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23377 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23377

Besides this step, I recommend installing the latest BIOs updates and drivers from your computer manufacture. Please be aware that I have tested a system with HD 2000 and I was able to load the Media Center on Full screen mode and played some videos and music without a problem.

I also would recommend searching for an update for MC or running the Windows Update.

0 Kudos
SWin
Beginner

Hi Kevin_Intel

Thanks for the answer. Per my original post, I have installed the latest Intel driver (152820), which is the link that you suggested. The BIOS is also the latest one that exists from the manufacturer. I've updated the MC and Windows Updates to everything latest. The problem still persists.

I had been running Windows 7 before and it did not have any problem at all so hardware isn't an issue.

Again, in Windows 8.1, any other programs, Silverlight, DVD player, run smoothly in full screen mode. MC also runs smoothly in windowed mode. It's only when MC is pulled into full screen mode that it stops producing video output signal. I tried playing around with the vertical frequency setting but it only crashes the system. My LG HDTV takes 60p Hz.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the information. I have been testing different systems with MC and I have been able to replicate the issue.

At this point since you have tried installing the latest driver from our side and all other programs are working fine, it seems the issue is related to the software and not the graphics controller so I recommend you contacting the software manufacture for them to provide support on the software.

0 Kudos
SWin
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for testing. So, you are able to replicate the problem?

Can you please provide more detailed information, what did you test on and what causes the problem?

When you say "software issue, contact software manufacture", what software are you referring to?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi swindoro,

I am sorry but I meant to say I was not able to replicate the issue.

0 Kudos