7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 12:58 PM by DAM

NTFS-3G USB HUB

DAM

Trying to mount an NTFS drive on the external usb port. Fat32 works no problem but I can't get ntfs to work. I have tried mount -t xxxx /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 where I had made the mnt sda1 directory and verified the device is sda1 (fdisk -l) and xxxx is many things like ntfs, ntfs-3g, hpfs/ntfs, hpfs and even vfat.

It took a while but I finally found that installpkg is opkg install. So, I am thinking maybe it is a similar issue here like ontfs or something.

the txz file will not install and I believe that I need a tgz file. but no conversion has been found.

I am a noobie and wouldn't be dabbling in Linux if not for the Galileo.

The plan is to make a NAS that I can access several hard drives on the device. Hoping for higher throughput than my purchased NAS. Maybe even converting to ext3 or 4 if possible.

Hoping to do it all with the default Linux build.

• 1. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
          AlexT_Intel

As far as I can see, ntfs kernel driver is not being compiled for the default images, neither do ntfs-progs, so you'd need to reconfigre the kernel & compile that.

Hoping for higher throughput than my purchased NAS

It of course depends on what your purchased NAS is, but Galileo is not set to compete with on-the-market NAS solutions. Even though you technically can make a NAS out of it, it won't provide you with the performance you'd want and enabling support for additional filesystems maybe harder than you'd like (e.g. ntfs above). And I don't see how you could connect several hard drives to it in a meaningful manner - USB hub would be dead slow by itself and I haven't heard of mPCI expanders (though I haven't searched).

All in all - while creating a NAS out of Galileo can make a nice maker-type project due to vast area for tinkering, given your initial hope for higher performance and the fearues set + your mention of "I wouldn't take on Linux if not for that project", I don't think that's a good fit.

Unless you mean you want to learn Linux while doing that type of project. Then as I mentioned it would be an interesting one, because you'll cover many Linux areas from kernel configuration and compilation to fileystems to userland filesystem utilities.

• 2. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
            DAM

While this is a very detailed answer, I was hoping that you would say that ext# was as good as ntfs for a NAS or not (ie do I really need ntfs to reach my goal?). It already seems faster and better than my NexStar NAS (~800KiB/s vs ~180) and there are mini pcie cards that have dual sata for about $30. Ive tried a 4 port and a 7 port hub from 2 manufacturers and they both don't seem like they have a driver. ie the hard drive becomes invisible. I am learning Linux and finding strange things like different commands with different distros. A month ago, I didn't even know what a distro was. If I have to I will compile my own. I am familiar with compiling ARM, 8088s, Androids, PLCs, and HMIs. But I don't want to compile it if it isn't necessary.

• 3. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
              AlexT_Intel

Ok, that makes sense. Here are my comments.

I was hoping that you would say that ext# was as good as ntfs for a NAS or not (ie do I really need ntfs to reach my goal?)

Define your goal? :-) For "just NAS" ext3/4 is absolutely enough, actually NTFS will be rather an inconvenience for any protocol you'd want to serve off it, given the way NTFS driver is implemented in Linux.

Ive tried a 4 port and a 7 port hub from 2 manufacturers and they both don't seem like they have a driver. ie the hard drive becomes invisible

That is interesting, I'd expect them to be a "pass-through" of a sort. What do you see in the "dmesg" output on a full-blown Linux distro like Ubuntu or openSUSE or whatever when you plug that switch in? The output may give a hint as to what kernel options/drivers are needed to make it work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
                DAM

I like SkyDrive. A personal place to hold my files and have remote access to them. I want something more secure, convenient, bigger, and as fast. I was thinking of putting an assortment of dated hard drives on it (mostly ide) but you have me re-thinking. I have a 3tb usb drive that is probably my new plan.

Since Galileo is my Linux based machine, I don't as of yet know what would happen if I plugged into another Linux machine. I do have a new Virtual box Linux (ubuntu) but that I believe has a windows driver possibly interfering). I will try it on a laptop, But I will be traveling for a week.

I also want to keep the sketches working and I've read on this post "Node.js" that a full distro install would eliminate the sketches.

I also saw that other distros allow you to install tar files. And thought that maybe there were some packages available for Clanton somewhere.

• 5. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
                  DAM

I also don't know if it is usb 2 or 3?

• 6. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
                    AlexT_Intel

Since Galileo is my Linux based machine, I don't as of yet know what would happen if I plugged into another Linux machine

I meant plugging your USB hub into other Linux machine, not plugging Galileo into other Linux machine. As you mentioned that you don't see any disks connected to the USB hub after you connect it to Galileo, I presume you might need some additional kernel option set or kernel module loaded in Galileo Linux to make it work - and plugging the hub into other Linux machine might help in determining that.

And thought that maybe there were some packages available for Clanton somewhere

yes, they are available. See this thread for two options available right now (essentially: build your own or there's a public repo): How to enable the Yocto-provided package management capability

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: NTFS-3G USB HUB
                      DAM

since the title started out as NTFS-3G USB Hub, and strayed a bit, Mounting an external USB drive having an existing NTFS file system in READ/WRITE mode to transport files from/to unRaid server - unRAID

I know that you meantthe hubs, As for another linux computer, I have VirtualBox Oracle. which I dont believe will isolate the issue. I will try to come up with a pure Linux machine.