11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 6:27 PM by wardell12

Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!

J@Sebastian80

Hello!!! I recently joined... I seem to be having some issues with correctly installing Intel RSTe drivers on my notebook... First of here are my Specs:

Asus K55A Notebook

Intel Core i3-3110M

Intel HM76

Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset

HD 4000 iGPU

8 GB DDR3 (2x 4 GB) 1600 MHz

Samsung 840 SSD 250 GB (AHCI Enabled in BIOS)

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) UEFI Install

I recently clean installed Win 8.1 and used Intel RSTe v13 BETA drivers by way of F6 method... Which was causing me a bunch of issues in general... Although Aida64 and HWiNFO64 detected my SSD running active UDMA Mode 6. Which is the max supported btw... I opted to install a different IRST driver set for stability... Now, the Asus OEM IRST drivers that were installed on the original HDD with Win8 are v11.5.0.1207... Which I actually haven't tried using yet... But I have gone thru IRST v12.9.0.1001... v12.8.6.1000... v12.8..0.1016... v12.5.0.1066... ALL of these lower my SSD to UDMA 5 and thru benchmarks lower performance... I currently have installed IRST v11.7.4.1001... Which are working fine... But after 1 day I am at UDMA 5 again when after installing these v11.7.4.1001 I was at UDMA 6... Weird... Also I noticed that no matter which I install, the iaStorF.sys file doesn't get installed!!! BTW I chose not to install the IRST Software Package... Only the drivers by way of Device Manager... Am I missing something?? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here... Also, in Device Manager I see IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers with Intel 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and also Storage Controllers... with Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller under that one.... I am kinda stumped here... I would appreciate any and all guidance with this and to correctly install my drivers... THX!!

• 1. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
          allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that have had issues with Intel® Rapid Storage.

Please bear in mind that your computer has HM76 Intel chipset, and this controller support PCH with Intel® Rapid Storage. Not the enterprise version.

The latest rapid storage software supported by your PCH controller is version 12.9.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23496&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

Allan.

• 2. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
            J@Sebastian80

Hey Allen!

I figured as much... I'm quite confused with all the various Intel RST and RSTe versions available and as to which are compatible with what system... Lol! Now the version you are providing in the link comes included with iaAtorA.sys + iaStorF.sys, so by installing thru Device Manger BOTH should get installed? And I will see the iaStorF as a lower class filter? Or how should this work? Since I'm not using RAID and with my single SSD on my notebook... And one other concern that I have... would a certain or incorrect Intel RST driver cause my SSD performance problems? e.g My benchmarks ALL return a 47 MB/s 4K Random Write? When I should be getting about 120 MB/s according to the SSD specs and every benchmark site that has tested my particular 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD... Also, how can I tell which Intel RST driver is adequate and supported by my chipset? I understand that it doesn't support RSTe versions... But as for RST versions... Is there any difference between versions? Features and such? Right now I am using RST v11.7.4.1001 which I think is not an enterprise version.... And why does Aida64 and HWinfo64 detect my SSD in Active UDMA 5 when I install any RST v12.x version? Thx in advance for any further details!!! 

• 3. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
              allan_intel

Please bear in mind we support installation through executable versions, if you are installing Intel® Rapid Storage through device manager, this is customization and Intel does not support that type of installations.

The Intel® Rapid Storage installs when computer is set as RAID or AHCI, and the performance of your drives depends on the computer specifications, not the software. As I mentioned, your computer has PCH controller, the latest version supported by your computer is 12.9. The enterprise version was developed for server chipset models. Please check with Aida64 and HWinfo developers for information about why they are detecting your driver as UDMA 5.

Allan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                J@Sebastian80

Hey Allen! I seem to have found something out... Aida64 & HWinfo64 do in fact detect a drop to UDMA 5 when I manually update RST drivers thru Device Manger... Last night I put my notebook to sleep and just now awoke it... I immediately launched Aida64 and low & behold it detects I'm at UDMA 6 again!!! I have a few doubts about the PCH controller... How can I update to a recent revision? Aida64 shows my South Bridge: Intel Panther Point HM76 to be Revision 04 / Stepping C1... I am reviewing the Data Sheet for Intel 7 Series/C216 Family Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Rev. 013 dated November 2013... I seem to be experiencing some issues listed in Errata that may be fixed with a newer PCH revision... That's another issue though... Back to Intel RST... So the correct installation method is by the SetupRST.exe... Thru that method RST will fully install both iaStorA.sys AND iaStorF.sys??? I ask because I only have  EhStorClass as a lower class filter and not iaStorF and no traces of it in the registry or /Windows/system32/drivers...

• 5. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                  allan_intel

PCH controller cannot be updated. This is hardware issue; this means you need to change hardware. The correct installation method of Intel Rapid Storage will be running SetupRST.exe. There is no other way to install this software.

Allan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                    J@Sebastian80

Hey Allen!

Ok I installed Intel® RST v 12.9.0.1001 as you suggested and after waking my notebook, its at UDMA 6 and working fine... I opted to install with the following command line: SetupRST.exe -noIRSTgui -noTray... Is that alright? Since I'm configured for AHCI, my notebook UEFI/BIOS doesn't support RAID... Only IDE or AHCI modes... I assume I have no need for the GUI or tray icon... However the iAStorDataSvc is installed and running... However... The iaStorF.sys did not get installed!!! How come??? Is that only for RAID systems? My SSD is being detected with this Hardware ID SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_840_Series__DXT0... Shouldn't Intel® RST have installed the SCSI Filter iaStorF.sys???

And as far as concerning the PCH... For my notebook since I can't change hardware... Do you recommend that I install the Latest Intel® Chipset INF and what are the benefits of installing the latest INF from Intel®? Asus provides an outdated Chipset version v9.3.0.2021 for Windows 7... I'm running Win 8.1... Does it make a difference concerning notebooks??? 

• 7. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                      wardell12

Hello -I am having similar problems with a Lenovo desktop K430. I am running Win8.1-64 bit,IE11,12 GB memory and a1TB RAID HDD. I updated my Win8 to Win8.1 and my Intel RST raid driver was corrupted. I deleted the driver and attempted to replace it with an Intel RST RAID driver(f6flpy-64.zip dated 12/12/13, Win8.1,ver12.9.0.1001. It downloaded ok but I received an error message during the installation process stating that an error occurred and the program must close. I received these same results after downloading Version  12.9.0.1001 4 different times. I went to Intel's download center and received the same result. Please help me correct this problem. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                        allan_intel

@J@Sebastian80, there is no need to install the latest chipset utility because your operating system already comes with the latest version to support your chipset. If you like to get the latest version go here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

@wardell12, it appears this is a software corruption, you may need to re install the operating system and install fresh version of rapid storage software 12.9

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23496&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

Allan

• 9. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                          wardell12

Hello Allan-I attempted to download/install the Intel RST RAID driver version 12.9.0.1001(f6flpy-64.zip via setupRST.exe for win8.1-64bits and it failed also. You sent me a url to a download site which I used. You did state that I probably will have to clean install my Win8.1 Operating System. I plan to purchase a Win8.1 based laptop and get a win8.1 dvd to do a clean install because I wish to monitor/report my RAID HDD status. If you can think of anything else that I can try prior to considering performing a win8.1 clean install, please let me know. Will performing a clean boot correct this problem? Thanks.

• 10. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                            allan_intel

You may try Windows repair, or run system restore tool, see the following URL for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Allan.

• 11. Re: Intel RST AHCI driver installation issues!
                              wardell12

Hello Allan-I decided to check corrupted content and attempt to install f6flpy-x64.zip again via setupupRST.exe..I requested Microsoft support because   I encountered this problem when updating Win8 to Win8.1. I did not know whether I had a problem that could be corrected via support software that could delete or repair corrupted software. Microsoft found and corrected a lot of bad software but Microsoft could not re-install the RST driver.
                              After purchasing a Win8.1  based Laptop and backing up my files and folders, I will have a W8.1 clean install performed. Thanks for your support,