1 2 3 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 5:11 AM by Nyadach

DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?

turbodewd

I just had the unpleasant experience of finding out that my new NUC doesnt support Win7.  Well I hate Windows8, I cannot stand the massive change the UI underwent.

So, Intel, will ye be releasing Win7 drivers for this NUC?

• 1. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
          JasonHoffman

Hi turbodewd,

Yes Windows 7 drivers are coming. I don't have an exact date but they're coming soon.  I'm not a huge fan of the Windows 8 interface, but using Classic Shell (free) on top of it makes it pretty much Windows 7.

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
            turbodewd

Thanx for the super prompt reply Jason, I await these drivertons!!!

• 3. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
              mlork1

Do you have an ETA of these drivers?

• 4. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                JasonHoffman

I'm trying to get a solid answer right now.  As soon as I get an answer I'll reply.

• 5. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                  tperki

Were you able to load Windows 7 at all? I attempted to load Windows 7 64 bit and got a blue screen with the message that the bios was not ACPI compliant, or something like that. I wound up loading Windows 8, but that had its own issues.

Off topic, but I cannot select UEFI in the bios screen, only legacy boot devices. Has anyone else been able to do that - enable UEFI? I do not have a SSD, only a hard drive. Apparently HDMI audio won't work if you don't have UEFI enabled. My unit will just not boot when I select it.

As an aside, the unit runs great with Windows 8. Yes, I agree the new UI sucks (I hate it too), but just load Start 8 by StarDock and you can make 8 look and feel just like 7. Just sayin...

• 6. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                    mlork1
                    Were you able to load Windows 7 at all?

To a point. I could get to the "starting windows" screen before install, but it would freeze with a solid red line at the top of the screen.

but I cannot select UEFI in the bios screen, only legacy boot devices. Has anyone else been able to do that - enable UEFI? I do not have a SSD, only a hard drive.

Yes I can switch between UEFI and Legacy in the BIOS

I have an SSD, no OS on it yet though.

As an aside, the unit runs great with Windows 8. Yes, I agree the new UI sucks (I hate it too), but just load Start 8 by StarDock and you can make 8 look and feel just like 7. Just sayin...

Yes, it's looking that way now depending on how long the win7 patch takes. But I really don't want to buy the win8 license when I already have 7...

I'm also trying to avoid introducing a new OS to parents.  It'll be a headache for all parties involved.  But with StarDock and ClassicShell I suppose if it comes to it i can go to win8.

• 7. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                      turbodewd

I was able to install Win7 after the BIOS update (which I think has been taken down???).  However there was no NIC driver and only basic video which looked a bit silly and small on my 46" TV :^)

Oh Lord of Drivers!  Grant Intel the ability to giveth these new Celeron NUCs proper x86 and x64 Win7 drivers!!!

• 8. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                        tperki

Hello mlork1:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. To your point about freezing, I had the exact same issue with the original BIOS - it would freeze with the solid red line. After I updated to BIOS 21, it would not make it that far, it would just issue a BSOD with an error about ACPI.

With regard to disk drive, yes I am not surprised. I think UEFI was perhaps intended for SSD and maybe hard disk with no SSD was not considered?

Regarding Windows 8, yeah I hear you! If you use Start 8 or Classic Shell, you can minimize your hassle. But technology progresses and sometimes digresses.

I hope Intel fixes these start up issues quickly. I love my NUC and hope it to become my primary desktop. To me, small is better, and I always say, everyone needs a little NUCkie.

• 9. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                          Mr_Gimlet

Yes, I installed Win7 as well. You can install the graphics drivers from the download centre, there is one with Win7 in the file name, but the drivers are unsigned so you need to reboot with F8 and select the unsigned drivers option. This then at least gives you full screen and 1080p for media center. However, the HDMI audio definitely doesn't work until we get new BIOS and/or drivers.

I'm using an SSD and isn't booting with UEFI, I am assuming this is a Win7 thing.

I will cope for a few weeks rather than fork out for Win8.

• 10. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                            LesMoss

Gimlet:

Can you give us a link for those Win 7 video drivers???

I don't want to fork over $200 for Win 8 either. My NUC investment so far is $170.

• 11. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                              Mr_Gimlet

Apologies for the delay - travelling. I can't access my NUC at the moment, but looking at the download center the drivers seem to have disappeared. I will confirm the filename when I get home tonight as it might be somewhere else on the website.

• 12. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                                milieber

I found it as part of the zip package of all drivers for either 64 bit Win 8 or Win 8.1.  It works, but I have to "F8" during every start up.

• 13. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                                  Mr_Gimlet

I tried a few sets of drivers as there were two on the download page, it was 'hidden' in a Win8 set. If its the wrong ones, it won't install anyway

milieber, does your audio over hdmi work?

• 14. Re: DN2820FYKH - Win7 support coming?
                                    milieber

No, I have not been able to to get that to work.

1 2 3 Previous Next