1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 6:57 AM by allan_intel

Can't enable Intel HD Graphics 4600

Clavus

My setup:

Intel Core i7 4770K with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

AMD Radeon 7950 dedicated graphics card

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H motherboard

Three LG 1080p monitors.

Windows 8.1 64-bit

My problem:

I want to make use of Intel's QuickSync tech to encode video on the fly while gaming (a feature of the MSI Afterburner software). Problem is, when I check my device manager the Intel HD Graphics 4600 shows it's disabled (device status shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"). I properly enabled the integrated graphics card option in the BIOS settings.

After some googling, it seems I 'should' be able to activate the Intel IGP by connecting a monitor to it. So now I have 1 monitor hooked up to my motherboard's DVI slot, and the two other monitors to my AMD graphics card. When I restart my computer, the monitor hooked up to the Intel IGP goes dark as soon as Windows boots. Device manager still shows it as disabled.

Next I tried reinstalling the Intel drivers. First I completely uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver. After reboot, I suddenly notice my third monitor lights up, but it's stuck in 1024x769 and apparently uses the Microsoft default display driver. Then I reinstall the latest Windows 8.1 x64 drivers for Intel HD Graphics. After reboot, I briefly catch a glimpse of the Windows boot screen on my Intel IGP-powered monitor, but then the screen goes dark. My other two monitors are dark too. It seems the Intel display driver still crashed. After another reboot, the two AMD-powered monitors show up, but the Intel monitor remains dark.

I tried pretty much everything but I can't seem to get the Intel display driver working alongside the rest of my setup. Are there any other steps I could possibly take?

EDIT: oh the irony. Seems to have solved itself after all this time. I just updated my AMD graphics card drivers from 13.11 to 13.12. Now I can boot into Windows with all three my monitors attached to my AMD card, but the Intel IGP does not crash so I can use it for QuickSync encoding.