3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 11:21 AM by allan_intel

PCI Express x16 slot - Q45 Chipset - graphics only?

PVRBuilder

Hello -

I recently purchased a refurbished Lenovo desktop model Thinkcentre 58p (7483-CTO). This is a small form factor desktop that uses the Intel Q45 chipset according to the specs posted by Lenovo.

The system board has one PCI express X16 slot on it, and one PCI slot. I have a PCI express adapter card (TBS 6922 TV tuner) that I'm attempting to use in the PCI express slot - and Windows 7 does not see the card at all when it is inserted in that slot. I've verified the adapter is good by inserting it in another similar (but not identical) Lenovo desktop.

I don't care about using the integrated display port on the system board (VGA display port is fine, and I've seen the limitation relative to using a graphics card in the PCI express slot with Q45).

Question: are non graphics adapter cards supported in the PCI express slot with Q45 chipset by design? Any ideas on why my PCI express (x1) TV tuner card would not be recognized when inserted in the PCI express slot under Windows 7? BIOS Settings or version an issue?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• 1. Re: PCI Express x16 slot - Q45 Chipset - graphics only?
          allan_intel

I understand you have issues installing PCI Express TV tuner card.

Onboard graphics solution is disabled electronically when you install a video card on the PCI Express slot; this is because the port was designed for graphics only.

I recommend checking with your TV tuner manufacturer for compatibility information.

Also, check with your computer manufacturer for troubleshooting information about PCI Express issues.

Allan.

• 2. Re: PCI Express x16 slot - Q45 Chipset - graphics only?
            PVRBuilder

Thanks Allan. Just to restate clearly - the TV tuner card I have is not a graphics card (e.g. it does not include a display port or video chipset - when working properly it should leverage the onboard integrated Q45 graphics.) - and it works fine with other similar chipsets.

When you say the PCI express port was "designed for graphics only" - does that mean that I should not expect other types of PCI Express adapters to work in that slot? If that is the case - that is very disappointing (the specs for the machine do not say that) -  but it does answer my question as to why a "non video" PCI express adapter doesn't work in that slot.

thanks

Matt
            Matt

• 3. Re: PCI Express x16 slot - Q45 Chipset - graphics only?
              allan_intel

Exactly, the TV tuner is not a video card, I understand that, however, you need to check with your TV tuner manufacturer for information about compatibility using PCI express slot on your computer.

As mentioned the port was designed for video cards but I am sure you can installed other devices on the PCI express port, this is a compatibility issue.

Allan.