14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 12:57 PM by joe_intel

DN2820FYKH and USB booting

new_owner

Got my new DN2820FYKH and I'm trying to install the Intel version of Openelec via USB but it won't boot successfully to USB.  I have made sure the option to boot fro usb is checked in the bios. I have tried 5 different USB 2.0 removable drives and none appear when I choose the boot menu. My internal sata appears in the boot menu.  The USB devices work in another computer.  I tried both rear and front USB ports.

When I choose to boot to USB from the BIOS, the computer rebooted and then I think tries to boot from the chosen USB but just rebooted. Happened with all 5 USB devices.  The only thing I have gotten to boot is an USB external drive.

• 1. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
          lhill

Hello new_owner,

There is a new BIOS version for this NUC now available at Download Center. This version has a fix for USB issues like you are experiencing.

Also please be sure to read the DN2820FYK_OS_install_v01.pdf in that download record - it describes the steps needed to install your operating system. There are a couple of specific BIOS settings you'll need to make. For OpenELEC, follow the steps listed for Ubuntu. Let me know if that does not work for you.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
            new_owner

The newer BIOS worked to boot from USB. I followed the PDF with directions to check UEFI and unchecked legecy, but that didn't work; the USB drive wasn't recognized.  I had to enable Legacy for it to work.

Now I'm dealing with an error when booting the sata drive with openelec installed.

/sbin/init: /etc/init.d/35_fontconfig: line 34: fc-cache: not found

Just to mention, no USB drive appears in the boot menu regardless of uefi or legacy checked. I have the option checked in the BIOS to boot usb first.

• 3. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
              lhill

Hi,

An update: Here are the instructions for OpenELEC specific installations on this NUC. These steps were reported by a user who used the development build at http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Generic.x...-r17148-gb48ea69.tar.  We are in the process of validating these steps, but I wanted to pass this along to you now.

1. Press F2 when prompted during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
              2. Press F9 to set all BIOS options to default values.
              3. Select Advanced.
                1. On the Devices and Peripherals > USB menu:
                  • Set USB3.0 (XHCI mode) support to Enable
                  • Check USB Legacy to enable it
                2. On the Devices and Peripherals > SATA menu, set Chipset SATA Mode to AHCI.
                3. On the Devices and Peripherals > Video menu, set the IGD Minimum Memory to 512 MB.
                4. On the Boot > Boot Priority menu:
                  • Uncheck UEFI Boot to disable it
                  • Check Legacy Boot to enable it
                5. On the Boot > Boot Configuration menu:
                  • Check USB under Boot Devices to enable it
              4. Press F10 to save your changes and exit BIOS Setup.
              5. Proceed with the installation of the operating system.

Regards,

Lois

• 4. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                new_owner

Thanks. I actually found these instructions yesterday afternoon and was able to successfully boot up Openelec.  So far it's running fine.

• 5. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                  Fenster

Hey Guys, I have a DN2820 and I am banging my head against the wall trying to get it to boot. The primary purpose is to run Openelec.  I had a lot of trouble getting openelec to run off of a livestick, so I purchased a SSD and installed to it..... it installed just fine, but just like some of the other USB live sticks, it will not boot. The only way I can get it to boot is to go into the bios, select it and then hit save and exit... only then it will boot.

Legacy is enabled, It is first on the list... I dont get it.

I have followed the other instructions above... everything seems right, it just wont boot.

Thanks for the help!

****One other thing to note..... whenever I press F10 to get into the start menu, I get nothing but a gray screen. I never get a menu or anything.... this is with the latest Bios as well... I even reflashed it again to see if it was a bad flash.

• 6. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                    new_owner

For Openelec you have to use one of the nightly builds.  The stable 3.2.4 build doesn't work to boot from USB or SSD.  You can get the nightly build (Generic) from snapshots.openelec.tv

• 7. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                      Fenster

Thank you.. I have been using the nightly build the whole time. I think I figure it out... when I do the install, it asks if I want to use GPT partitions. I have been choosing yes because it seems the alternative was not suggested.... well I finally chose not to use GPT and I think that fixed the problem.

But now t he new problem..... do I have to do anything special to use the built in IR. I was under the impression that it responded to the MCE commands. I have found the MCE pronto commands and I can send these codes to the NUC but I get no response. Is there an additional step I am missing?

Thanks for all your help!

• 8. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                        new_owner

regarding the IR, I was in the same boat as you.  Look at this thread: Re: DN2820FYKH - compatible IR remote. There's some valuable information there.

I ended up ordering a certified MCE remote and I'm waiting on it to arrive. to reply back to that post.

• 9. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                          nowherevill

"I had a lot of trouble getting openelec to run off of a livestick, so I purchased a SSD and installed to it..... it installed just fine, but just like some of the other USB live sticks, it will not boot. The only way I can get it to boot is to go into the bios, select it and then hit save and exit... only then it will boot."

I too had trouble with the Window's PE environment (Hiren USB CD) and Windows 8 installer (non EFI) on a USB stick to boot.  It would blue screen when I tried.  I had to turn off "Precision Timing" option in the BIOS to get it to stop blue screening.  I think this may be something that is effecting your live stick too.

• 10. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                            Will3r

I Had exactly the same issue.

Purchased the NUC for dedicated OpenElec use.

DN2820FYKH + Sandisk Extreme 16GB USB 3.0 + 4GB Memory.

Used both OpenElec 4.0.7 and 4.1.4  (x86_64) [diskimage] using Rufus.

With the shipped BIOS, it booted to the USB stick, but the BIOS seemed a bit buggy.

Decided to upgrade to the latest Bios FY0038, then the system boot anymore, none of the options made it read the stick's contents.

Tried the same stick in my laptop (Dell E6540), no problem.

Downgraded NUC BIOS to FY0021, and exactly the same stick would boot without any issue.

Appears to be some sort of issue in the latest BIOS release(s).

I Would like to have a working latest/greatest BIOS though.. :-)

• 11. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                              Will3r

Done some additional testing.

- Downgraded to FY0021, created a bootable USB2.0 stick with the openelec installer.

- Started the system, booted the openelec installer, and installed openelec to the sandisc USB3.0 stick.

- Restarted the system and successfully booted to the USB 3.0 stick (succes).

Out of curiosity, i did the following;

-Restarted the machine, flashed to FY0038 and rebooted.

-OpenElec would boot from USB3.0 now!

Put the USB2.0 stick back in with the installer image. removed the USB3.0 stick with OpenElec, and restarted the machine, didn't boot!

Strange..

Compared the differences:

The USB2.0 stick was UEFI boot

The USB3.0 stick was legacy boot

Appears as if UEFI boot is not working properly on the FY0038 release..?

Funny though, in the box I found a yellow paper stating you can install operating systems using a USB stick of USB optical drive, but it is recommended to upgrade to the latest/greatest BIOS... Seems like an impossible task :-)

• 12. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                                Will3r

I found this on the Intel site as tested for OpenElec:

Tested with the development build at OpenElec.

1. Press F2 when prompted during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
                                2. Press F9 to set all BIOS options to default values.
                                3. Select Advanced.
                                  1. On the Devices and Peripherals > SATA menu,Chipset SATA Mode is set to AHCI.
                                  2. On the Devices and Peripherals > USB menu,USB Legacy is enabled (checked).
                                  3. On the Devices and Peripherals > Video menu,IGD Minimum Memory is set to 512 MB.
                                  4. On the Boot > Boot Priority menu:
                                    1. UEFI Boot is disabled (unchecked).
                                    2. Legacy Boot is enabled (checked).
                                  5. On the Boot > Boot Configuration menu, USB under Boot Devices is enabled (checked).
                                4. Press F10 to save your changes and exit BIOS Setup.
                                Proceed with the installation of the operating system.

I Did exactly this, and the machine reports no bootable device using BIOS FY0038.

Used both the 'diskimage' and the 'create_installstick' tool; no startup from USB stick.

• 13. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                                  Will3r

Today I spend some time in trying different BIOS versions.

Seems the OpenElec 4.1.4 x86_64 [DiskImage] USB-stick (UEFI) boot stopped working in BIOS FY0034, so I am currently running FY0032.

Is this topic still being monitored (as it is marked as answered), or should I start a new topic to draw attention to this problem?

• 14. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB booting
                                    joe_intel

Will3r, the instructions you posted were previously included above. Please make sure you are not missing any of the other recommendations in this thread.