1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 11:31 AM by AMangaser

Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN long boot up times on Windows XP

AMangaser

We've recently added the Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN wireless card to one of our products. Compared to other wireless cards like (Cisco Aironet Wireless) and to wired Ethernet (Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection) cards, the boot up times for Windows XP (and Windows Embedded Standard) increased to 3 to 4 times. With the WiFi 5300, both cold and warm boots take about 3 minutes compared to 1 minute or less for the other cards. I would like to hear from members of this discussion group if they have experienced the same issues and how they resolved them.  Thanks in advance for any pointers or helpful information you can provide...

• 1. Re: Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN long boot up times on Windows XP
          AMangaser

I've forgotten about this posting, until today when I got an email update.

After a lot of experimentation, we found out that the Intel WiFi management software needs Microsoft's wireless zero configuration  service (ZCfgSvc,exe) to  be running so that it can stop it and continue its own initialization.  We have ZCfgSvc.exe disabled in our systems for some other reason. It seems like the Intel software is checking ZCfgSvc.exe status and expects it have been started and eventually times out doing so.  This caused the 3 minute delay.  So we just have to put ZCfgSvc.exe on automatic and let Intel's software disable it and this cut down the boot up times to less than 1 minute.  Hope this helps