3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 11:17 AM by quartertwelve

How to maintain an i7 core at a cool temperature

quartertwelve

Hey everyone,

I tried posting this before, I hope I haven't posted it twice...

Anyways, I just recently finished building a rig:

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid Tower ATX Computer Case  

Hyper 212 CPU Cooling Fan
      2x  2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drives

ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
      G.Skill Z-Series 16GB (4x4) DDR3-1866 Memory

ASUS GeForce GTX 770 Video Card

Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4 GHz LGA 2011 Processor
      LG DVD Writer

LG Blu-ray Writer
      Corsair 750W Power Supply

This system is intended to be used for media purposes only (video streaming, ingesting, editing, etc).  I'm starting to suspect that my CPU is hotter than it should be.  Right now it averages between 86 and 93 degrees Fahrenheit and that's when I'm barely pushing it.

I don't want to overclock my system.  I know the programs that I intend to use are pretty robust and will push the hardware to some high percentages.  With that said, my first round of questions is this:

What is a safe temperature for an i7 core?  (specifically my i7-4930k)

Looking at the rig that I have, do I have sufficient capability of maintaining that safe temperature?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

• 1. Re: How to maintain an i7 core at a cool temperature
          kevin_intel

Hi quartertwelve,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you with your query.

Please note that the temperature your processor has is completely normal. 86F- 93F is 30C-33C which is just fine.

Intel® Processors have been tested under heavy and full workload to make sure customers will have high quality units. It is also important to say that the temperature you are currently getting is normal since the processor can go up to 78C (176F) without any problem. Overheating is considered when the processor temperature reaches up to 92C or more but the system will automatically shut down at that point for security purposes.

As mentioned before, you are under the normal temperature of the processor but If you want to check something additional, you can try with the instructions below:

1. Check if the unit worked before. If it didn’t most likely is an integration/compatibility problem.
          2. Verify if hi low overheating siren is on after rebooting.
          3. Run PIU/ cpu diagnostics tool and Provide the results and discard possible overclocking
          4. Discard incorrect integration; fan is seated properly, remove reinstall fan, no obstructions affect the fan.
          5. Verify fan is clean from dust.
          6. Verify fan is connected to correct header
          7. Check fan speed and noise: ticking, high pitch, erratic noise.
          8. Update BIOS
          9. Reapply TIM
          • 2. Re: How to maintain an i7 core at a cool temperature
            quartertwelve

Hi kevin,

Thanks for your reply.  That's reassuring to hear regarding the cpu temp.  I'll ahead and check out your suggestions to make sure everything is in line correctly.

I had a program crash on me and I feel like that shouldn't be happening with a brand new system, hence my question.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: How to maintain an i7 core at a cool temperature
              quartertwelve

Hi kevin,

So here's what I have so far:

I ran PIU/cpu diagnostics nad it failed almost immediately:

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 3.44514

CPU Frequency Passed!!!

--- FSB NOT Supported on this Processor ---

--- Running Base Clock test ---

Detected Base Clock --> 101

!!! --- Base Clock test   Fail --- !!!

The IPDT Version = 1.29.0.0.MP-17-11

Can you explain this to me?

My BIOS is up to date.

Intel Processor Identification Utility identies my processor just fine.

Fans are clean, they're pretty new.  No erratic noise.

Also, apparently, like you said, I was wrong about the temperature.  There is no overheating.

Are you familiar with Prime95?

I ran that test several times.  The first trial, I had a worker fail after 4 hours and 37 minutes.

The second trial, I ran it for 4 hours without a problem.

The third trial, I had a worker fail after 1 hour and 43 minutes.

The fourth trial, I ran it for 7 hours and 19 minutes without a problem.

These are some mixed up readings.

So with all that said, any suggestions?