2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2014 5:30 AM by flummer

File system capacity

rmm200

I am using a 32GB SD card, figuring I could expand my file system to whatever size I needed.

Then I attempted to go from my current 3GB, 78 percent full, to a 10GB one.

Went fine - until DD choked at the 4GB line. That is the biggest file you can have on a FAT32 file system.

I went ahead and created a ext3 FS on that 4GB file, and used "cp -ax / /mnt/fs" (I attached my new file on loop1 at fs).

With a few renames, my new 4GB FS is running and 68 percent full. It will hold me for awhile.

On to the question - what is the best way to have a Linux file system that approaches my sd card limits?

Best idea I have so far is multiple 4GB files on the disk, and relocate /home to one of them.

• 1. Re: File system capacity
          AlexanderMerz

rmm200 schrieb:

Best idea I have so far is multiple 4GB files on the disk, and relocate /home to one of them.

I had the same idea but for another reason: If you update or modify the poky distribution through the BSP setup on a host computer, all your stuff in /home/root would be lost without copying the data from the old image to the new image.

So I created a home.ext3 file on the sd card and also created my own Poky meta layer for a permanent modification of /etc/fstab. So each time, after I changed something on the distribution, I can just copy the new image to the sd card and my old /home/root is still available and not touched.

• 2. Re: File system capacity
            flummer

Isn't the SD card root mounted during start-up on the Galileo? I think I remember having used that to get easy access to files from the outside, but I kind of like the idea of a separate filesystem file for /home

/Thomas

1 of 1 people found this helpful