8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 9:41 AM by bselff

D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots

bselff

Good morning,

I have acquired a D975xbx system with and extreme processor 955 3.46Ghz with Cruical Memory, ATI X1900 Video Controller, Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum, 4 1tb drives configured as 1 (non-raid with OS) 3 1TB drives configures as raid 5. Running Win XP SP3 (32bit) all updates current, I.E.8 with update. The system randomly reboots with working in XP. I left the system up with Explorer open and it stayed up all night, but when I tried to work this morning it rebooted again. The BIOS I am running is 1487. I reviewed the community and found references to the bios , but I could not find one to revert to (I think) old 1351.

Any and all help would  greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Bob

• 1. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
          joe_intel

I am sorry for the issue.

You can find BIOS versions here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=d975xbx

It is also a good idea to check the logs, system memory, voltages and if the event happens when the system is in BIOS. You may also test the motherboard out of case with minimum components.

• 2. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
            bselff

Joe,

Everything is as current as it gets from the Intel Driver site. I even thought it might be an issue with the Intel Matrix storage manager, so... I switch to the Silicon controller, loaded the Si3114r5 drivers

and part way through the XP install, it rebooted so... I eliminated the controller as an issue, the memtest runs great, no errors, the drives are all good, the temps are all good, and there is nothing in the event logs...I am about at my wits end...Obviuosly, there appears to be a known issue, doesn't anyone out there know... and if it is a MB issue which can't be repaired, then I have just wasted a week trying to run down the error and all I need is for someone to confirm it and I will put it in the burn barrel....

Thanks,

Bob.

• 3. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
              bselff

I don't know where my previous reply went, but in short since my other reply was detailed.

All temps good

Memtests good

Drive Array good

Bios & Drivers Up to date

Tried both Matrix Storage manager & Silicon Raid Si3114r5

Same Results.

Bottom line...

I have spent over a week on this unit trying to analyze the issue and correct it. From the web, it appears there were reboot issues with this mb. All I need to know is someone to say yes there is and it can not be corrected. I have yet to disable the LAN .

Thanks,

Bob

• 4. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
                bselff

I disabled the LAN and same result, disabled all comm ports, same

results, removed sound card (creative X-FI) the only thing left is the PSU which appears to be working with correct voltages through the IDU and the ATI X1900 video card. I only question the PSU because it has a circuit protection built in, but the system doesn't loose power, it just reboots.

There has to be a resolution to this somewhere ..... Especially on this site since Intel manufactured the system board and processor...

Thanks,

Bob

• 5. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
                  bselff

Okay, I think I found the culprit, I brought up the processor temp in the IDU and started a scan of the drives, after about 3 minutes, I got a overtemp of about 140 degrees F.
                  The system has an Extreme 955 Processor and Processor Cooling Module & Fan Assembly. What if any is the correct option, replace processor or find a better cooling solution.

Thanks,

Bob

• 6. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
                    joe_intel

The temperature you are getting is not enough to consider overheating: 140 degrees F = 60 degrees C. This usually happens above 100 degrees C.

I would consider a BIOS recovery, a power supply compatibility issue, a grounding/false connection or motherboard replacement.

• 7. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
                      bselff

Good Morning Everyone,

This is an update to my issue above as of 2/5/2014:

After exhausting everything except the PS issue because Power & Cooling is being purchased by Toshiba and can not take any RMA;s yet, I decided to replace the Radeon X1900 video card and for 2 reasons, 1>. It consumes power via it's connection to the PSU and I wasn't sure if it could be the culprit. I purchased an inexpensive 1gb non-PSU Radeon HD6450 to try (actually a Dell 4KHPH original equipment). So far, I have cruising the Internet, running Intel's CPU diags, Intel desktop utilities and all appears to be good. I will give it a few more days and get back to everyone.

Special Thanks to Tricky300 for all the time and effort provided.

Thanks,

Bob

• 8. Re: D975xbx Ver#AAD27094-306 Randon reboots
                        bselff

Here is an update to my randon reboot issue.

I finally decided to send my PSU back to the manufacture (once the take-over was completed), they found the issue and repaired it. I have been up for 2 days now and all is great.

Just another note to say thanks to everyone for all the input.

Bob