7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 8:07 AM by nash1234

RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?

nash1234

Hi,

Have a new Dell XPS8700, 4th gen i7. The motherboard is Intel 8 Series C220 - Z87

I have one 1TB Seagate drive which has Windows 8 on it, and two WD 2TB internal hard drives. I formatted both WDs, and selected RAID in BIOS. I selected the WD HDs to create a RAID 1 array. Windows 8 didn't recognize them, so I went to disk management and created a simple volume. The volume was formatted (not quick format) and now it shows as Healthy Partition. I guess it is ready to use, because now Windows Explorer shows it as one HD, 2TB in size.

My question is, Intel Rapid Storage keeps popping up the 'you may have an issue with your hardware' I go take a look at it, and the only drives that are shown are the original 1TB system drive and the DVD drive. No sign of the RAID 1 volume I hit refresh, but it does not show up. I go to System Report and all HDs show up. What do you think is happening? How can I have Rapid Storage show the RAID volume? Thank you in advance.

Below is what the System Report shows:

System Report

System Information

OS name: Microsoft Windows 8.1

OS version: 6.3.9600 9200

System name: WINDOWS-U72I33N

System manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System model: XPS 8700

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 3.401 GHz

BIOS: Dell Inc., A03

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed: 12.6.0.1033

User interface version: 12.6.0.1033

Language: English (United States)

Driver version: 12.6.0.1033

ISDI version: 12.6.0.1033

Storage System Information

Controller name: Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Type: SATA

Mode: AHCI

Number of SATA ports: 4

Number of volumes: 1

Volume: Volume1

Number of spares: 0

Number of available disks: 1

Rebuild on Hot Plug: Disabled

Manufacturer: 32902

Model number: 35842

Product revision: 4

Direct attached disk: Z1D7P9XK

Direct attached disk: WD-WMAWP0438250

Direct attached disk: WD-WMAWP0413532

Disk on Controller 0, Port 0

Type: SATA disk

Location type: Internal

Size: 932 GB

System disk: Yes

Disk data cache: Enabled

Command queuing: NCQ

SATA transfer rate: 6 Gb/s

Model: ST1000DM003-1CH162

Serial number: Z1D7P9XK

SCSI device ID: 0

Firmware: CC47

Physical sector size: 4096 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Disk on Controller 0, Port 2

Size: 1,863 GB

System disk: No

Disk data cache: Disabled

Model: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

Serial number: WD-WMAWP0438250

SCSI device ID: 2

Firmware: 05.01D05

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Disk on Controller 0, Port 3

Size: 1,863 GB

System disk: No

Disk data cache: Disabled

Model: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

Serial number: WD-WMAWP0413532

SCSI device ID: 3

Firmware: 05.01D05

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

ATAPI device on Controller 0, Port 1

SATA transfer rate: 1.5 Gb/s

Model: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW SH-216DB

Serial number: S10Q6YBD901ANS

Firmware: D100

• 1. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
          kevin_intel

Hi nash1234,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

Based on all the information it seems you are using an old version of IRST.  Please uninstall the current driver and download the latest one at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23496&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

I recommend you if possible, removing the volume and creating it from Option Rom or CTRL-I. Before accessing here, just make sure you have updated and changed the Chipset mode to RAID.

It is important to mention that the HDDs must be clear of any raid configuration before doing these steps.

• 2. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
            nash1234

I uninstalled IRST, downloaded the new version, and installed it.Went to BIOS, changed to RAID, did CTRL I, deleted the previously recreated volume, and recreated it. Now my Windows won't boot, it gives an error and restarts.

What I noticed when the selection to hit CTRL I screen comes on is:

- Seagate HD, non RAID (which is correct, this HD has Windows 8 on it)

- 2 WD HDs, RAID 1, but it says "Yes" Under Bootable. I think this may be the problem? So how do I change this volume to Bootable:No, since these are only data drives?

I also did F10, Boot Menu. Instead of selecting the regular UEFI, I selected the Legacy mode, which listed the Seagate HD as the first option, but that also would not boot at all.

If I change the BIOS setting back to AHCI, I can boot again but IRST does not see the RAID volume, just the Seagate System HD.

Windows Explorer sees only one HD, after I did a quick format in disk management. I am assuming that this is the RAID 1 volume, which probably works fine, but I really want IRST to see this and maintain it.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
              kevin_intel

Hi nash1234,

My recommendation is to access the Bios and reset the defaults, change the Chipset mode to RAID and save the changes.

The RAID configuration will not be visible under Windows if you have AHCI mode. Also under CTRL-I, you just need to set the disks to non-raid and then create the raid. By doing that all format in the drives should be deleted and you can have the raid for storage only.

Here you have information about setting up raids:

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

• 4. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
                nash1234

That is exactly what I did. Reset defaults, change chipset to RAID, save changes, CTRL I, set everything to Non-Raid, and then create the RAID. Everything was deleted when I did that (which was fine) but IRST still does not see it.

I also read the pdf and that's pretty much what I followed in my previous email. No one else had this issue before?

I also don't see the CREATE option on IRST, because my 2 HDs don't show up in the right hand sides.

• 5. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
                  kevin_intel

nash1234,

Have you tried checking under Disk management? If the HDD is visible there means that there is no assigned letter for the driver and therefore will not visible in windows or under the IRST.

In the case it is visible in there, just right click on the drive and select “change drive letter and paths”. BY doing this the driver should be visible.

Hope It helps!

• 6. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
                    nash1234

See my original post: "so I went to disk management and created a simple volume. The volume was formatted (not quick format) and now it shows as Healthy Partition. I guess it is ready to use, because now Windows Explorer shows it as one HD, 2TB in size."

Windows sees it, gives it a letter also. It is IRST that does not see it.

Talking to a Dell rep yesterday, he said that he did not think I could set up the raid unless I do it on the system drive. That may involve reinstalling Windows. Heck, I might try that to see if it works, I am running out of patience.

• 7. Re: RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it?
                      nash1234

I was able to make this work. The only way that I could make it work was to install another 1TB HD that I had in hand, select RAID in BIOS, do a quick CTRL+I, and create a volume with the two 1TB drives. This wiped out Windows and the data on both drives (contrary to what the Dell tech had said). Had to reinstall Windows on this volume. Once done, IRST saw the volume.

Then I went back into IRST (without needing to reboot or deal with BIOS and CTRL+I) and created another volume w/ the two 2TB drives - this time it actually asked whether I wanted to keep the data on one of the drives. This would have come in handy had I not reformatted both of the 2TB data disks while trying to set up raid previously. I have the backups on the third HD but it would have saved a lot of time had I not gone through the previous steps and did not delete everything on those two drives.

I know it is not logical but the Dell rep was probably right, for some reason, the system does not allow only one Windows System hard drive and a RAID 1 w/ two data disks. What I did above was a workaround but it should work fine. I now have mirrored both the System hard drive and the data hard drive.