4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 4:39 PM by mhahn

Ethernet Adapter Woes (Galileo)

JamesBond

Hi Guys,

Due to the fact that my Macbook Air is not equipped with Ethernet (and in my case, only one usb port), I have been forced to use a USB hub and an USB to Ethernet adapter. Unfortunatly, as I am trying to set up a remote telnet server on my board, I have to include where to push it to (not sure if right terminology, but sorry). As this is pretty unclear, below I have included what I'm trying to get it

(I am using the following code from mak3r's post:)

----------

void setup() {

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

system("ifconfig eth0 169.254.10.68 netmask 255.255.0.0 up");

}

----------

(The underlined part is the ip of the adapter.) The bold part is what I'm referencing to. However, my computer does not have an ethernet card, which means that this code is referencing to something that does't exist. I want it to be configured so that the code refernces to the adapter, not to my computer's nonexistent ethernet card. If somebody could tell me what I should use instead and how to get telnet to go to that interface, that would be awesome. Sorry if this was already posted somewhere, I just don't know how/where to look for it.

Thanks Guys!

• 1. Re: Ethernet Adapter Woes (Galileo)
          flummer

Hi JamesBond,

The code you are writing will run on your Galileo board, and the ifconfig command that will be executed in the second system() line will set the configuration of the Gallileo board, not your MacBook Air.

The eth0 is the wired ethernet connection on the Galileo board, and the IP address you write afterwards is the IP address that the Galileo board will get, so it should be different from what your MacBook Air has on it's ethernet adapter, otherwise you will have a conflict. If you are just connecting the two with a cable, all you need to worry about is that they need to be unique, and only differ in the last part (e.g. .68 and .67).

When you have the Galileo board configured (should be done shortly after completed upload), you can connect via telnet on your MacBook Air using the telnet command (type something like "telnet 169.254.10.67 23" in the Terminal.app). 23 is the port number for telnet connections.

Hope this helps!

/Thomas

• 2. Re: Ethernet Adapter Woes (Galileo)
            JamesBond

Thanks, Thomas, it worked great! However, do you know of a way to check if linux has installed, or by simply accessing telnet guarantee that linux has been installed?

• 3. Re: Ethernet Adapter Woes (Galileo)
              flummer

You are welcome!

If you can telnet into the Galileo board and get a prompt, Linux is for sure running on your Galileo board ;-)

It is either loading the OS from the SPI flash or if you have an SD card with the right image files on, it can also be loaded from that (the SD card led on the Galileo board will be flashing for about 40 sec on power up if you are running from SD card)

/Thomas

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ethernet Adapter Woes (Galileo)
                mhahn

pls have a look at IoT Developer Kit where you can find a SD card image