3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 12:40 PM by John_Miller

DQ35JO BIOS Upgrade

Omero

I will be getting a DQ35JO that I am going to reuse. I know that board is going to have BIOS 0925 on it and it was running Window Server for Telecommunications in its prior use. I will be running Windows 7 - 32bit. The current BIOS is 1143 and 0925 is a raft of upgrades back.

My questions are:

Is there a certain BIOS revision required for WIN7 use?

Should I upgrade the BIOS in one step or multiple steps through the BIOS releases - and which ones, if multiple are required?

I saw in the BIOS notes that the ME has been upgraded as well. Therefore, should I do the BIOS upgrade using the recovery method, which also updates the ME, or is a standard BIOS update sufficient?

• 1. Re: DQ35JO BIOS Upgrade
          sylvia_intel

Hello Omero, thanks a lot for asking this information, since it is very important to proceed in the best way when installing a BIOS on the unit.

What we recommend customers to do, is to check how many versions are between the current BIOS and the latest one.  Then, depending on that, install or flash 1 or 2 versions before getting to the latest one. In your case since you have BIOS v0925, you may need to install at least 3.

You can try to install BIOS v0942 and then, depending on the fixes or features added in each BIOS, start flashing the ones you think are important.   http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19638/eng/JO_1143_ReleaseNotes2.pdf        

I would recommend you to use the F7 method, since it is more accurate. Desktop Boards — BIOS update instructions   

In addition to that, it is very important to inform you that there are Windows 7 drivers available, but the support is limited due to the discontinuance of this motherboard.

• 2. Re: DQ35JO BIOS Upgrade
            RemoNonaz

I know I'm posting this in the wrong place, but for the life of me I can't find a place to start a new thread in this forum.

Subject: ADDING A 4TH DRIVE TO A DZ68BC MB

OVERVIEW:

I am at BIOS 0039, which seems fine.

I have four SATA devices in the system now C:120GB SSD, F:1.5TB, D, 0.5TB,  DVD

I want to add a removable hard drive bay to the system for doing large backups. I've installed the hardware and wired up the drive bay, but the system will not see any drive I put in the bay. I wired a drive directly to the MB and got the same results as the bay, so I don't think there is a problem with the drive bay or cable.

I know there are essentially three sets of SATA ports on this board: 2-PCH 6GB, 2 Marvel 6GB and 4-PCH 3GB.

Initially, I had the C drive and the DVD on the Intel PCH 6GB ports, the 1.5 and 0.5 drives on the Marvel ports and the removable hard drive on the PCH 3GB ports. The removable drive did not show in BIOS or win7.

I swapped the DVD and removable drive so that the DVD is on port 0 of the 3GB ports and the removable drive is on port 2 of the Intel 6GB ports. The DVD has been found by the BIOS and Win 7, but the removable drive is still not present, despite hardware refresh requests in Windows and setting the BIOS to enable removable drives.

I have tested with four different drives, all known to be good, with and without the drive bay. Any idea what the issue is?

• 3. Re: DQ35JO BIOS Upgrade
              John_Miller

Hi Omero,

I have been running Windows 7 - 64 bit on the DQ35JO since 2009.  The 32-bit version should be just as stable.  Here are some quirks have found with my setup:

1) If I put 8 GB of RAM, I get random errors.  I have tested the memory individually, and all work.  My solution is to limit memory to 6 GB.  With 32-bit, this won't be a problem for you.  It may just be a bad connector on my board.

2) Windows Media Center doesn't wake up from sleep (S3 state) to record shows, so I leave it running.

3) I use an Nvidia 8800GT graphics card, so I haven't tested the Intel graphics.  I also haven't tested the RAID feature.  They should work fine.

4) The latest BIOS disables the USB keyboard and mouse during bootup if UEFI boot mode is enabled.  This makes it impossible to select the OS on multiboot systems.

Your questions:

> Is there a certain BIOS revision required for WIN7 use?

I use 1109, which is the last version that leaves the USB keyboard active during the boot process.  1122, 1126 and 1143 all have problems with the USB keyboard when UEFI boot mode is enabled.

> Should I upgrade the BIOS in one step or multiple steps through the BIOS releases - and which ones, if multiple are required?

I updated one-by-one using the Windows EXE.  When I got to 1122, I saw the USB problem and successfully reverted to 1109.  Today I tried 1143, and I couldn't revert to 1109 with the Windows EXE.  I ended up using the BIOS configuration jumper and a USB key to recover.  The "F7 method" that Sylvia mentioned is only available as of 1122.

> I saw in the BIOS notes that the ME has been upgraded as well. Therefore, should I do the BIOS upgrade using the recovery method, which also updates the ME, or is a standard BIOS update sufficient?

I'm pretty sure that with the Windows EXE method or the BIOS jumper method, everything gets updated.

I hope you have as good luck as I have had with my DQ35JO.  Mine has been very reliable.  I have had the same motherboard, same CPU (Q6600) and same graphics card since 2007.

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful