Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Screen Dimming in Windows 7 Vaio Pro 13

KRek
Beginner

I have a new Vaio Pro 13 running Window 7 Ultimate. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Intel, and I have also disabled "Adaptive Brightness" in services.msc. I have also checked the BIOS, but it doesn't seem to contain any settings for screen brightness. Nonetheless, if I unplug my computer from AC power, the screen will dim and brighten at random and in stages (i.e., instead of going from level 1 to level 4, it will go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4). This continues as long as I run the computer on battery power, and it especially seems to happen if I am opening or closing windows. I have scoured the forums and web for an answer to this issue, but so far, nothing has helped.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue? Does anyone know if Intel is doing anything with the drivers to resolve this problem?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that have issues with screen brightness.

As far as I understand the computer comes with some power settings that when you unplug the computer, it will dim the screen automatically, this is a power saver feature from the computer.

If you are running the latest video drivers version 3345, there is an option for brightness control on all colors. This is available at Display>>Color>> Color Enhancement.

The other option is to create custom power plan, this will be through power settings within your operating system Control Panel.

Link to download latest video drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4400&ProdId=3719&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4400&ProdId=3719&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

Please filter by operating system version and try to install the driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it.

Allan.

0 Kudos
KRek
Beginner

Thank you for your reply; however, this does not address the issue at all.

The screen dimming has nothing to do with the standard power and brightness settings. It occurs at any time when the the computer is running on battery power, not only when the computer switches from AC to battery, and the screen both BRIGHTENS and DIMS on its own but ONLY if it is running on battery.

This is an issue with Intel drivers (I have 3345). I do not experience this problem if I uninstall the Intel drivers and use the generic PnP drivers.

0 Kudos