2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 1:00 PM by Segfault

DQ35JO board does not boot

Segfault

For some reason it is unable to boot from hard drive. I can boot it from SysRescueCd USB stick and when I choose boot from hard drive it boots. In its own it just displays a blinking dash indefinitely. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: DQ35JO board does not boot
          sylvia_intel

Segfault, for this kind of situation I would recommend you to take the motherboard out of the chassis in order to make find out if this behavior is being caused for grounding.

1. Once the system is out of the chassis, please use minimal configuration  (Motherboard, processor, power supply, and video card).
          2. Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system.
          3. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery#datetime
          4. Test the system without memory installed since we are looking for beep codes.
          5. Insert 1 memory stick on DIMM#1 and try to access the BIOS.
          6. On BIOS, please disable all boot options such as boot from network, USB boot and boot from optical drive.
          7. Check under the configuration, if the SATA mode changed from AHCI to RAID or IDE.

• 2. Re: DQ35JO board does not boot
            Segfault

OK, the BIOS of this board is too smart and screws up the boot process. BIOS should execute the code on boot sector and that's it. Not in this case. I had to convert from GPT to MBR and tag the partition bootable to make it work.