3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 2:36 AM by Aryan2411

Two questions about DX58SO

egloskerry

I should have this board shortly, but I have two questions about legacy support.

1. I still have two IDE HDDs and two IDE ODDs. I was planning on buying an IDE to SATA adapter to be able to continue to run these. However, I have read that the ICHR10 does not offer legacy support for IDE. Will I be able to use these drives?

2. The board does not support PS/2. I've never had a board without it. How do I access the BIOS without a PS/2 keyboard? Are the USB drivers native to the board?

• 1. Re: Two questions about DX58SO
          Aryan2411

Hello there,

In theory the hard drive should be recognised, the only limitation that you would have is that you can only use the sata controller as IDE, you wont be able to have features like raid, ahci. In the bios, there will be an option ATA/IDE Mode which can be set as Native or Legacy, so if it does not work on Native, it must work on Legacy. Unfortunately, i have never used an ide to sata adapter so i can confirm that i would work.

Now regarding the USB Legacy support, there are several intel boards that donot have PS2 ports now, and it works fine on the BIOS.

You will need to make sure to have these settings enabled in the BIOS:
          Advanced >> USB Configuration
          USB Ports : Enabled
          USB Legacy: Enabled

By defaults these are already enabled. Make sure to have latest bios as sometimes there are fixes in the new bios.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17805/eng/SO_4158_ReleaseNotes.pdf

All the best,

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: Two questions about DX58SO
            egloskerry

Great. I really hope they work. I don't need RAID or anything.

One other question, though I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Would it be possible to run two IDE devices on each SATA port using the adapter, since an onboard IDE port can support two devices per port.

• 3. Re: Two questions about DX58SO
              Aryan2411

Hi there,

For this question, i suppose that the answer is no. But hopefully someone else can advice on this.

Anyway let us know how it goes, it will be good to know and helpful to community users.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan