Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Update Intel Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 (version 10.18.10.3379) and Black Screen

MShak
Beginner

Hi,

Windows 8.1 is giving me an update titled:

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Download size: 94.4 MB

Update type: Optional

More information:

http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

If I update my laptop, the driver switches the screen to a black screen. I cannot see anything, not even the mouse cursor. When I reboot, I can see the screen until the user login page. After the login, the black screen comes and there is nothing I can do.

I had to restart the system several times to bring the Windows Automatic Repair option and had to restore my laptop to an earlier restore point and reverting back to the current drivers and settings. The laptop model is HP Pavilion dv6-7097eo. I have even updated the BIOS and all other drivers, but still get the same result.

The driver version as suggested by the Windows 8.1 update is 10.18.10.3379.

The dxdiag information is attached.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

--Shakeel

Message was edited by: Muhammad Shakeel

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MPadi
Beginner

I have the same problem with the HD4000-8.1 combo on my Sony Vaio SVZ

0 Kudos
MShak
Beginner

Dear Allan,

Thank you for your reply. Let me add few more details to the problem.

The driver update suggested by the Windows 8.1 update has version 10.18.10.3379. I noted this painful number when I applied the Automatic Repair facility by the Windows 8.1 startup troubleshooter. The Restore to Previous State procedure listed this version number of the driver. I had to restore to previous state so that my system becomes reusable again.

As per your suggestion, I had already updated the HD 4000 graphics drivers to the version 10.18.10.3345. The system is working fine with this version. It is however the 10.18.10.3379 that causes the problem of Black Screen in Windows 8.1.

If this driver (10.18.10.3345) is indeed the latest version, then why Windows 8.1 update suggesting me to apply the 10.18.10.3379 update? Has Microsoft gone berserk by offering this update? The real question that come to my mind is: Does the version 10.18.10.3379 applicable to HD 4000 series or it is meant for newer generation?

Any further information will be highly appreciated and may answer a lot of similar queries.

Thank you.

Shakeel

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Versions like 10.18.10.3379 are provided by Microsoft as part of their update package, they are customized for several computer models and brands, and Intel does not have control of their updates. I am glad to hear that version 3345 is currently working for your computer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
EWome
Beginner

I have also experienced this problem with the Intel HD 4000 driver on an 8.1 system.

After updating to the driver through windows update, the update seemed to have crashed my computer to the point where windows repair came up and I had to restore to an earlier date to fix the problem. We shouldn't be paying good money for faulty software. Someone has dropped the ball here.
0 Kudos
jdile
Beginner

I am also having the same issue. I tried downloading the newest driver from the INTEL website and also get blank screen, then have to restore windows to fix it.

Intel, get off your bum and fix this.

0 Kudos
CGoep
Beginner

I have just had the absolute worst experience of my life with this 10.18.10.3379 Intel HD 4000 driver. I understand from this thread that the driver is something pushed out by Microsoft and I will be sure to give them a piece of my mind. I ended up having to turn on and off my computer at least 50 times it seemed. Tried uninstalling the 3379 driver with which upon normal boot-up Windows Update automatically updated and then my screen went blank. Eventually, I was able to log in on a normal boot and turn off automatic updates and then on another restart, download and install the 3345 driver (during which my screen went blank and I almost screamed my head off but then the install finished and my screen came back). I cannot express my discontent enough with this. It is obvious that Microsoft should not be in charge of generating their own drivers of a different companies software/hardware.

FYI, the update looks like this:

Message was edited by: Chris Goepfrich

0 Kudos
MPadi
Beginner

Any one try the re-published version of this driver? Microsoft has one published on 2/11/14 of apparently the same driver. I wonder if they fixed the black screen issue.

0 Kudos
RGran5
Beginner

Hello,

Just to add to the thread.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5537 running Windows 8.1.

I was having problems with the system restarting itself whenever I closed the lid. My intention is that the computer would sleep.

I used the Windows System recovery features to try and isolate the problem and removed everything from my pc. One by one I started installing things again.

I have just installed Windows 8.1 Update Intel Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 via Windows Updates and the problem has resurfaced.

I am glad I am not the only one having this problem. I hope people continue to discuss this so that Microsoft make a fix.

0 Kudos