Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Standard reply from intel customer support by email, and pushing responsibilities

SChin9
Beginner

Just like many other users, I am facing "limited connectivity" issue on Intel Wireless-N 7260 card. I use Windows 8.1. The latest driver version 16.7, which claimed have fixed the issue, is not available for Intel Wireless-N 7260. If I use Microsoft's driver, I won't face this issue. I emailed Intel's customer support to ask when a new driver that fix the issue of my laptop's wireless card. Guess what are their reply?

Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We suggest to use the driver version that came with your laptop. You may also check out software updates for your laptop via manufacturer's website. This is to make sure that the drivers and softwares are verified by your laptop manufacturer to be compatible with your laptop model.

Please note:

Intel is a supplier of laptop components and does not manufacture or sell complete laptop systems. The software provided by Intel below is a generic version. Each laptop computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. The software provided has not been verified by your laptop manufacturer as to compatibility or other operation.

Intel or the laptop computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this software.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

As you can see, they are trying to push the responsibilities to the laptop manufacturer. I sent a reply in angry mood.

To Intel, can you explain on the reply by your customer support staff?

Also, when are you going to release a driver that fix the "limited connectivity" issue for Intel Wireless-N 7260?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Cshong, please accept our apologies for the issue you are experiencing and the misleading information you received.

At this time, the issue is handled in thread below for the wireless adapter model you own.

/thread/44899?start=15&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44899?start=15&tstart=0

The latest driver version for all Intel® 7260 wireless adapter series is 16.6.0.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23389 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23389

Please install this driver and you may report in the link provided above. We are still working to solve the issues you have reported that are not solved with this driver version.

0 Kudos
SChin9
Beginner

Thanks. But my card is Intel Wireless-N 7260, not AC7260. I am using a wifi card without AC.

Also, I had tested the driver in the link you gave, and confirmed that the issue still exist.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

There's 16.8 drivers that can be found online but you have to look for it yourself since it's not an official Intel Proset driver. You might have better luck with that. Anyways, if the Microsoft drivers work fine, why are you forcing yourself to use a different driver?

0 Kudos
SChin9
Beginner

I don't mind to continue using Microsoft driver, but more prefer the official driver from Intel if it can fix the issue.

I believe that the driver included in Windows is actually the older version provided by Intel to Microsoft, am I right? If Intel does not fix this bug, later when Microsoft release new Windows version (e.g. Windows 9), the driver version included in the newer Windows may not be the same as Windows 8. It may be the newer version Microsoft got from Intel. Nobody can guarantee that it will not include the same bug.

So, I still hope Intel can fix the bug, at least in the newer version.

0 Kudos