4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 9:42 AM by joe_intel

Unknown Intel Processes?

sniperfx

I had just recently bought and build a new desktop PC, including a 4th gen i5 processor. I am trying to figure out the programs and processes that run with my new build.  As a result, I have been searching the web for a legitimate description on Intel processes, though all I have found are opinions from users as to whether to turn it off or on. So I've come to the source, the Intel website.

Having said that, I would really like to know what the following Intel processors are:

• Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service
      • Intel(R) Managment and Security Application Local Management Service

• Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service Interface

• Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface

• Intel(R) USB 3.0 Monitor (iusb3mon.exe)

• Delayed Launcher - Intel Corporation (IAStorIconLaunch.exe & IAStorIcon.exe)

These intel processes are what I have found out so far and whether I will enable/disable:

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service:**KEPT ON FOR THE GRAPHIC CARD CLOCK ADJUSTMENT FEATURE & OVERCLOCKING**

Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service - Intel(R) ICCS” is a service used for accessing the integrated clock controller in the PCH to adjust the clocks to the CPU (BCLK, DPCLK, and DPNSCLK).  The graphics driver uses this service to adjust the graphics clocks (DPCLK & DPNSCLK) to perform clock bending.  Clock bending adjusts the display clock frequencies to reduce screen flicker. Originally access to the ICC registers was only available internally to the PCH’s embedded controller (ME) so the registers were exposed to host through the HECI interface.   On Intel® 8 Series PCHs and beyond, the HW has changed allowing the graphics driver to directly access the display clock registers, and the “Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service” should not be necessary with those chipsets.

In addition the “Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service” is used by the Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (XTU) to perform overclocking. Overclocking is more complicated with its larger frequency range and dynamic configuration, so the PCH’s embedded controller and SW service are used to abstract the ICC implementation.

Disabling “Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service - Intel(R) ICCS” on Intel 8 Series PCHs will only impact the ability to do runtime overclocking with the XTU.   With older chipsets, it will also disable the ability to do clock bending (meaning you may get additional screen flicker).

“Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service - Intel(R) ICCS” does not collect any information.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology: *********DISABLED - Because I do not have any RAID set up of any kind********

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology offers new levels of protection, performance and expandability for desktop and mobile platforms. Whether using one or multiple hard drives, users can take advantage of enhanced performance and lower power consumption. When using more than one drive, the user can have added protection against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure.The Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface makes creating and managing your storage simple and intuitive. Combined with Intel® Rapid Recover Technology, setting up data protection can be done easily with an external drive.

Valuable digital memories are protected against a hard drive failure when the system is configured for any one of three fault-tolerant RAID levels: RAID 1, RAID 5 or RAID 10. By seamlessly storing copies of data on one or more additional hard drives, any hard drive can fail without data loss or system downtime. When the failed drive is removed and a replacement hard drive is installed, data fault tolerance is easily restored.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology can also improve the performance of disk intensive retrieval applications such as editing home video. By combining from two to six drives in a RAID 0 configuration, data can be accessed on each drive simultaneously. This configuration speeds up response time on data-intensive applications. Also, due to drive load balancing, even systems with RAID 1 can take advantage of faster boot times and data reads.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of single drives as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.

• 1. Re: Unknown Intel Processes?
          joe_intel

Some of the questions you are asking were reviewed here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/47609

I’m not aware of any public documentation in regards of the information you are requesting.

The usual recommendation is to install the drivers provided by the system or motherboard manufacturer.

• 2. Re: Unknown Intel Processes?
            KDV

joe_intel wrote:

However, we need to bear in mind that most of the information related to specific files or processes is not meant to be publicly available.

What?!

What the heck is not meant to be publicly available about things going on MY PC, processed by MY PROCESSOR(should i recall who i gave money to for owning it, or it's obvious?), stored on MY HDD and powered up by MY HACKEN ELECTRICITY?! Are you nuts or completely stupid saying that to people who already PAYED THEIR MONEY to your glorious corporation? Have you forgot, who is the source of it's existence, wealth and glory?

Incomes are not going as well as you wish at your xyIntel, huh? Let us guess, why... Well, one your lovely competitor DOES NOT INSTALL ANY NOT-MEANT-TO-BE-PUBLICLY-AVAILABLE-INFORMATION-SHITWARE as part of their CPU driver. And they surprisingly ask LESS MONEY for their processors, you know?

Maybe, people just DON'T WANT to pay for development, deployment, running and manual wiping out such useless shitware? Maybe, they want to pay for simple, fast and effective solutions of THEIR problems, but not YOURS? Have you catch the idea?

I've got a Intel-based system first time. I avoided buying Intel in the ages of RDRAM, Pentium IV, Core DUO architecture... And had a hope that after learning lesson with EM64/T Intel finally turned to customer with it's face...

A big NO-NO, man. The not-meant-to-be-publicly-available-shitware and dotNet-based-hardware-utilities(are your bosses too greedy to pay salary to WinAPI-qualified programmers or just your marketers are too stupid to know about WinAPI existence?)

Finally, it still turns to be a perfect idea - to purchase as less Intel, as possible!

• 3. Re: Unknown Intel Processes?
              joe_intel

I will try to find more information about your inquiry.

• 4. Re: Unknown Intel Processes?
                joe_intel

The Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service Interface is part of the HECI bus allows the host operating system (OS) to communicate directly with the Manageability Engine (ME) integrated in the chipset. This bi-directional, variable data-rate bus enables the Host and ME to communicate system management information and events in a standards-compliant way, essentially replacing the System Management Bus (SMBus).

Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface runs as a separate (within the context of its own process) windows Service named “Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface”. This is installed with Intel(R) Trusted Execution Engine which is the name of a computer hardware technology whose primary goals are (a) attestation – attest to the authenticity of a platform and its operating system (OS); (b) assure that an authentic OS starts in a trusted environment and thus can be considered a trusted OS; (c) provide the trusted OS with additional security capabilities not available to an unproven OS.

The Intel® Dynamic Application Loader (DAL) Host Interface Service is a component of the Intel® Identity Protection Technology that is installed with the ME firmware toolkit. The Intel® DAL Host Interface Service is a Windows service and provides basic communication services. Intel® IPT with PKI uses the Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) and 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 or i7 vPro™ processor-powered systems to provide a hardware based security solution.

Intel® Managment and Security Application Local Management Service is part of the Intel® Management Engine components.

Intel® Management Engine refers to the hardware features that operate at the baseboard level, below the operating system. By enabling interaction with low-level hardware. It is important because it is how the processor, graphics and a few other subsystems ensure they are running with the right settings to work together.

Intel® USB 3.0 monitor is part of the Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver and its main functions are:

• Monitors plug and play status of all USB 3.0 ports.
                • Generates pop-up message for event notification.