6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 10:28 AM by sylvia_intel

Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?

Pit

I want to setup two platter hard drives in Matrix type of RAID. Outer space will be designated to RAID-0 volume for best performance, inner part of the drives will contain RAID-1 configuration for best security.

The question is: can I use Intel's Smart Response Technology and the ssd drive to cache only RAID-0 volume in this setup, not the whole Matrix array?

Is it doable?

• 1. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
          sylvia_intel

Pit, the chipset supports up to 2 volumes per array if you try to accelerate the RAID 0 volume, the system will need to create another RAID volume, and that will exceed the maximum amount of volumes supported. So, it cannot be accelerated.

Here is some additional information about Matrix RAID volumes

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
            Pit

Thanks, sylvia_intel for your answer.

So if I understand correctly in SRT the ssd drive and the cached volume (RAID or single disk) are in some form of RAID relation and that's why caching Matrix is not possible. Matrix uses 2 volumes (by design) so no free "slot" left for SRT cache drive.

But what about Matrix RAID and SRT system coexisting on the same controller. For instance I have 3 platter based hard drives and the ssd drive. I'm setting up my system like this: 2 Hdds form Matrix RAID and the remaining 1 Hdd is cashed by the ssd drive. Will this work?

I'm asking because I have read somewhere that setting up any Matrix RAID in the system automatically disables the possibility of use the SRT even if the cached platter drive wouldn't be a part of the Matrix or even any other array. But I don't know if it's true and my buying decisions depend on that.

• 3. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
              Pit

I did some testing using my new 256GB ssd drive and a bunch of 4 old hard drives (250GB each).

After enabling Smart Response Cache on the 28GB part of the solid drive i tried to define Matrix raid on two of four platter drives. Here is the result:RST Config Matrix Creation Problem_2.jpg

Obviously I cannot do this! I can create RAID-0 volume on the outer part of the array but after doing that, one should expect to be able to create RAID-1 volume on the remaining space. This is not possible! Create button disappears. I can only "Increase size" of the array. I'm not allowed to add the second volume to it.

As you can see I didn't even enable SRT yet (no black circle label on cached volume - RAID0 named "Cached"). The mere presence of the Cache enabled drive in the system (even without activating caching itself) appears to block the possibility to use any MatrixRaid in the system.

Why?

• 4. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
                mbreedlove

Care to pull up the status screen and post it also?  Has the create option under it disappeared as well?

• 5. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
                  Pit

Of course:

RST Config Matrix Creation Problem_1.jpg

One could think. OK, so let hack a little and unplug SATA_Array_0000 with SRT enabled SSD and then create Matrix type of storage on those two 250GB hard drives. And after this plug the SSD again. Well... this is the result:

RST Config Matrix Creation Problem_3.jpg

As you can see there is a Matrix drive present and accessible (SATA_Array-0001) , there is the ssd cache volume present (SATA_Array-0000) but the cached (RAID-0) volume became nonexistent. It is visible as two drives with exclamation warnings and status" Disabled" visible in the preboot rom summary screen.

And caching is disabled:

RST Config Matrix Creation Problem_4.jpg

Is it normal?

• 6. Re: Does intel SRT support Matrix type of RAID?
                    sylvia_intel

Pit, the following are the system requirements for the Intel® Smart Response Technology. You will be able to see that it will work on a Single Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or multiple HDD’s in a single RAID volume only.

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

• Intel® Z68 Express Chipset-based desktop board
                    • Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package
                    • System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
                    • Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
                    • Single Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or multiple HDD’s in a single RAID volume
                    • Solid State Drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
                    • Operating system: Microsoft Windows* Vista 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows*
                    • 7 32-bit Edition and 64-bit