Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Intel Iris has 32 MB dedicated video memory... How to fix that?

MBrat1
Beginner

Hello!

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro retina with 8 GB of RAM and Iris graphics card.

I am having a problem in WIndows 8 64 bit (I'm using bootcamp 5). It seems as the Windows 8 doesn't work properly with the Iris graphics card. Under display adapter information it shows only 32 MB of dedicated video memory. And I only want windows on my mac because of occasional video games. No games run with 32 MB of video memory. And it seems that windows drivers are correct because it recognises the Iris 5100 graphics card...

I tried reinstalling bootcamp drivers and went to Intel's website for newer versions of Iris drivers but nothing helped. Is there a way to allocate more memory to the graphics card or some other solution?

I would really appreciate help on this.

iri

10 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

At this stage, the support for your product is offered through your computer manufacturer. I recommend checking the link below for troubleshooting assistance on your Apple computer:

http://www.apple.com/mac/ http://www.apple.com/mac/

Allan.

0 Kudos
TBrun2
Beginner

This is not limited to just Apple. I have new Iris Pro 5200 in Gigabyte Brix Pro and Windows is reporting NO dedicated memory. In all the other OS (Linux, BSD, etc) it is correct.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

@ tebruno99,

In most cases, the computer manufacturer has already configured the system to use the maximum amount of graphics memory that is possible for your particular computer model. Sometimes you can change these values through BIOS level.

I recommend checking with your computer manufacturer if there are tips on increasing the amount of graphics memory for your computer model.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm

Allan.

0 Kudos
TBrun2
Beginner

Under Linux the memory is detected correctly "Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]". Windows is reporting 0.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0d22 (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device d000

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48

Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]

Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

I/O ports at f000 [size=64]

Expansion ROM at [disabled]

Capabilities:

Kernel driver in use: i915

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

That would be the operating system then, you need to either call your computer manufacturer or Microsoft for more information about video memory allocation.

Allan.

0 Kudos
LGrah1
Beginner

HI I have the same issue with my i5 iris pro have you find a solution? will a bios update fix it? I can't fin the option to increase video memory on my bix pro bios if you fin something please help me my sects are i5 haswell iris pro 5200 8gb ram 1600 ghz 1.35v windows 8.1 pro a.k.a the red brix pro

0 Kudos
LGrah2
Beginner

HI I have the same issue with my i5 iris pro have you find a solution?yet?

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

the number that is reported as "dedicated memory" is not correct. Processor graphics systems have a "unified" memory architecture (UMA) - there is no "dedicated" video memory like there is on discrete GPUS. Instead, the graphics driver and operating system allocate memory for graphics as needed on the fly when applications request it. The 32mb that is being reported here is a small amount of physical memory that is allocated by BIOS at system boot and reserved for internal graphics bookkeeping purposes (e.g. graphics page tables, etc). The fact that it is 'only' 32 mb in no way affects game performance/functionality for most applications.

Microsoft requires that Intel minimize the amount that is taken at boot for graphics in order to reserve maximum flexibility for how the CPU and GPU will use memory (e.g. big spreadsheets, etc).

Unfortunately, there are a few applications that read this value and (based on how they understand dedicated memory as being required for discrete GPUs), the app either fails to launch (Pro Evolution Soccer) or restrict available settings to lower values (Empire:Total War and other old Total War games) or possibly render with corruption/missing textures (Grand Theft Auto IV). If you run into issues with these apps, on *some* systems (typically desktops, generally not on laptops), the BIOS will let you change the Preallocated Graphics Memory - this can work around the fact that these games don't correctly understand UMA systems

0 Kudos
TBrun2
Beginner

My understanding was that Intel Iris Pro 5200 had some sort of dedicated memory. Unlike the previous Intel HD generations.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Iris Pro 5200 has 128 of L4 cache. This is not "dedicated" memory that attaches only to the GPU the way that memory on a discrete GPU does. Instead it sits in the memory/cache hierarchy between the GPU/CPU and the memory controller. As such it provides higher bandwidth to the GPU than the dual channel memory controller can. This memory helps with performance scaling to keep the Iris 5200 GPU "fed" with data.

It will not be reported as "dedicated" through the OS, but don't worry, it is there and working.

0 Kudos