Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Dell E5420 Black Screen after HD3000 driver install

idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to reinstall the operating system on my Dell E5420 laptop. Everything is fine until I try to install the driver for the integrated HD3000 graphics.

When I install the graphic driver and restart the computer I get the starting windows screen, then it goes to a black screen without backlight and never comes back on.

If I connect a external monitor thru the VGA port on the side it will display while the internal is still blank.

If I delete the Intel driver and windows installs a basic video driver the screen will work.

I have tried 3 different operating systems- Windows 7 64bit and 32bit, and Windows 8

I also tried updating the BIOS to the latest A13 and tried multiple revisions of the graphics driver from Dell and Intel with the same result.

If anyone has any ideas of things to change or check I would greatly appreciate it.

Specs:

Dell E5420 with a i5-2520m processor

Also tried a i7-2670qm processor with HD3000 graphics from a HP DV7 laptop with the same results. ( The HP graphics work fine )

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi 1997eclipsegst,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you with this.

It is important to mention that we as Intel® provide the hardware to the computer manufacture and they will design and create the drivers specifically for their units.

From our side, we can provide the latest graphics driver for your computer that can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23377&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

There are some other steps I can recommend you:

1. Update the bios and management Engine drivers provided by the manufacture.
  2. Do a power cycle in your unit by taking the battery and pressing the power button for about 20 seconds.
  3. If updating and installing drivers in your system does not fix the problem, I recommend you contacting Dell so they can provide more steps and provide the warranty on the product if necessary.
RWhit13
Beginner

Did you ever get a answer to your problem? Our district has about 600 units of this model and I'm having the exact same issue. I have replaced every part motherboard included as well as several operation systems 32 and 63 bit. Please help if you found a fix. Thanks, Robert.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Metagore08,

My I know what is the computer brand and model you have?

Also, can you post your system information report here? How to get it?

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

0 Kudos
RWhit13
Beginner

Thanks, It is a Dell E5420 Laptop

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for providing the system report. Based on that information, the driver you have installed on the computer is very old so I would like you to try updating the graphics driver to latest version we have. Here you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit

If you have problems during the installation of the driver, try these steps:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

If issue persists, try as much as possible different cables and make sure the monitor driver is installed so the Driver can recognize the EDDI of the monitor in a correct way.

Kevin m

0 Kudos
RWhit13
Beginner

I tried the driver above to no avail. I'm going to re-image this machine and try the steps you provided above again. Can you please provide me with a driver for a Windows 7 32 Bit professional OS? Thanks

0 Kudos
coakm
Beginner

Has anyone figured this problem out? I've had this exact issue with this exact laptop for 3 months now and have yet to find a solution.Thank you.

0 Kudos