4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 11:40 AM by sylvia_intel

Getting RAID 1 to Rebuild in the Right Direction

Kneed2No

I have the DP55WB motherboard.  I have installed RAID 1.  I have three identical capacity hard drives.  I keep two in my computer and the third in a remote place for data security.  Each month I remove one of my hard drives out of the computer and connect and place the spare into the computer.  I then selected Control-I upon rebooting and uninstalled RAID.  I then rebooted the computer and the RAID rebuilt.  All was well, except that the older data from the previously stored hard drive became the master and the hard drive that remained in the computer was rebuilt to mirror the previously out of computer stored data,

Using Windows 7 Ultimate.Kne

How can I do this process so that the newly connected (previously stored) hard drives becomes the mirror of the hard drive that was not removed from the computer?

• 1. Re: Getting RAID 1 to Rebuild in the Right Direction
          sylvia_intel

Kneed2No, what you need to do is to access the Ctrl I menu and set the new hard drive as non-RAID, not both drives.

Then, you need to press F10 in order to choose the hard drive part of the RAID and boot to Windows.

Once you are in Windows, please access the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software and you will be able to rebuild the RAID manually.

• 2. Re: Getting RAID 1 to Rebuild in the Right Direction
            Kneed2No

Sylvia,

Firstly, thank you for your reply.  I need clarification on your first sentence.  Do I make the new hard drive as non-RAID or both hard drives?

Keep in mind for this correction to my system, the hard drive that is currently not in my system has the data that includes December.  I have essentially added nothing into the drives on the computer except files that I also stored on a thumb drive.

In your second paragraph you are referring to an F10 entry to select "the hard drive part of the RAID"  I am using two separate hard drives and not partitioning.  I may not understand.

So, I need to make sure that the drive that is rebuilt from in this case is the drive that I shall be placing into the computer from storage.

Thank you again Sylvia for your time and help.

Kneed2No

• 3. Re: Getting RAID 1 to Rebuild in the Right Direction
              sylvia_intel

K2N, let’s say that the 2 hard drives part of the RAID1 that are installed at this moment on your system are “A” and “B”. The third hard drive is going to be “C”.

In order to copy all the data from “C” on “A” or “B”, hard drive “C” needs to have an operating system previously installed on RAID ready.

That way you would be able to choose the hard drive “C” from the F10 menu and boot to Windows.

Then, while you’re on Windows, you can access the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and rebuilt the RAID manually. Note that hard drive “C” needs to have the operating system installed in RAID mode using the same chipset as the destination computer you are going to use it on.

• 4. Re: Getting RAID 1 to Rebuild in the Right Direction
                sylvia_intel

K2N, let’s do a recap/summary of the issue.

What I understood is the following:

1. You have disk 1 and 2 as RAID 1 with the info of December.
                2. Then, you unplugged disk 2 and connected disk 3 to make a rebuild the RAID. But the software loaded the old information from disk 3 into disk 1. Is this correct?
                3. If this is correct then, disk 2 has all the information from December.
                4. Now, if you want to rebuild the array with the information  of December, do the following

a) Disconnect disk 3 and connect disk 2

b) Enter the RAID BIOS and set disk 3 as non raid.

c) Save changes and go back to windows.

d) Open Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and rebuild the array from disk 2.

Please let me know if you have any other question.